General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Driving a RHD car in North America

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM

Driving a RHD car in North America

I have a problem.

I have fallen in love with the idea of driving a Skyline in North America.

I understand all of the "quirks" that come with driving an imported vehicle (insurance, crash testing, mountains of paperwork etc.)

Anyways, I want to know if anyone has/does drive a RHD vehicle in North America, or anywhere that driving a RHD car is unusual (I think that some parts of Europe have both LHD and RHD cars running around).

Thanks
Gaz
Old 11-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

we have a '60 morgan +4 rhd, but im sure the age plays a role in its legality... you can get a job as a postal service person and then quit or something like that. really it depends on your state and the cops in your area
Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
JVD

Move to Canada, or get really rich.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:00 PM

yeah, the morgan is a blast to drive, but you cannot see to pass anyone and you have to shift with your left hand. Dont know about the legality of a newer RHD car.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 PM

the drive thru at mcdonalds would be hard to use unless you had a passenger
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM

RHD is really unpractical unless you are a postal worker here in the US. Any drive throughs are pretty much out of the picture, toll booths will own your ***, and turns will be more difficult to take.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM

Re: Driving a RHD car in North America

Originally posted by GazXL

I understand all of the "quirks" that come with driving an imported vehicle (insurance, crash testing, mountains of paperwork etc.)

There are no "quirks" RHD is illegal in the U.S unless you have a government issued vehicle. Motorex No longer sells the Skyline in the U.S there licensing was revoked. Drop this issue imediately or get flamed.......

Originally posted by GazXL

I have a problem.
Yeah we all know that you have a problem of posting something stupid before SEARCHING.........
Stop riding the nutz of the Japanese, if you like what they have move to there country. This thread should be CLOSED!!!!!

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-28-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Right now it feels so good to live in Europe and not have those strict laws. All you need hear in Iceland to be able to have an rhd car is that it has to have a former European registration like the two who are hear in Iceland have both come from the UK.

jusr felt like shearing
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

I agree this country does have a lot of crappy laws conserning our automotive codes. But addmittedly I like the idea of it being illegal because that way some new kid thinking he's the shi7 doesn't cause an accident because he's not used to sitting on the other side of the car. Plus even though it's illegal I would like to eventually import a skyline through canada. I'm also thinking of just buying one when I'm over in Japan and then seeing if I can't just ship it back to the states with me. Since the trip isn't happening for two years I haven't bothered studying customs laws yet about simply transporting a car from another country to this one.

I think the end message is that if you really want the car regardless of wheather you can use it as a legal car, then it's not toooo much of an issue. However if you want a Skyline as a daily driver it will be next to impossible for the average person that doesn't rub shoulders with someone in the governement.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
JVD

Originally posted by s13 240
RHD is really unpractical unless you are a postal worker here in the US. Any drive throughs are pretty much out of the picture, toll booths will own your ***, and turns will be more difficult to take.
Speaking from experience are we? My brother daily drives RHD with absolutely no problems. As for drive thru's/toll booths just unbuckle and reach accross. Also, who the hell cares, it's a frickin skyline. You're saying if you had the chance you wouldn't get one because of the hassle of drive thru's/toll booths? As for turns, they're more fun in a skyline.

JVD.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by JVD
Speaking from experience are we? My brother daily drives RHD with absolutely no problems. As for drive thru's/toll booths just unbuckle and reach accross. Also, who the hell cares, it's a frickin skyline. You're saying if you had the chance you wouldn't get one because of the hassle of drive thru's/toll booths? As for turns, they're more fun in a skyline.

JVD.
UH OH!!!
I think your gonna make s13240 close the thread.......
Old 11-30-2005, 02:42 AM

Seriously guys...I know I'm still a newb myself, but you shouldn't be so harsh. Even if the topic creator made absolutely no effort to search, all you have to do is a) ignore them or b) link them to a search that provides useful info. Flaming and ranting SEARCH doesn't do anything but **** people off and scare them away from forums. (Okay, admittedly this is sometimes a good thing.) Personally I think Skylines are beautiful machines, and it's a shame that we didn't get them in the States. So they're RHD, who cares? That doesn't make owning such a car any less desirable.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by JVD

JVD.
How can you argue with me about the practicality of owning a RHD vehicle in a country where 99% of all cars are LHD and pretty much everything in the US is made for LHD drive vehicles. I am not saying the Skyline isn't a great car, I am saying that RHD isn't practical. I don't find having to unbuckle myself and reaching all the way across a car or possibly having to get out and walk around if I am not close enough practical when you can just be happy with your LHD vehicle and grab it from the drivers window. As for turns, they may be more fun in a skyline but that doesn't make them any easier. Our roadways are set up for LHD vehicles and if you have a RHD car it is gonna be a little more difficult than driving a regular car. So what your brother drives a RHD car daily, I could care less, you want me to give him JDM brownie points? I can bake cookies... With everything said, RHD is still impractical in the US where damn near everything is made for LHD vehicles. This is why I think that people that do RHD conversions are wasting their money, theres no purpose except being able to show off and have people say "ooh that car is super uber JDM tyte". I will not tell someone not to do it however, it is their vehicle and their money, they can do with it as they wish.

...and no I won't close this thread, maybe later
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 AM

Besides who really cares, Nissan said that they would offer the GT-R proto in the states. It should be in production sometime next year......... That means RHD Skylines shortly, so who really cares......
The only problem with nice sports and touring cars coming to the U.S is that it is all talk and less buying, and it has been proven over and over again that declining sales in the 240sx,300z, Supra in 98 led to there demise at dealer ships. The fact is to the thread starter you are all talk weither this topic is RHD related or not. In the U.S there isn't a large enough consumer base to keep a platform in production. You being a dreamer and not a realist, (therefore I don't show much compashion as to why you started this thread.)
If you are an american with money you are buying a corvette, viper, porche, mercedes, GT, ferrari or Lambo..... You know why? Because those are the cars that make the bling bling in this country, not those of JDM prestiege. Even though believe it or not, we as JDM guy's and import guy's are the minority and a cult to much larger fan basis when it comes to Domestic and European.... We technically are the smallest consumer of the high end JDM prestiege, (after all we are all driving a 240sx that is no longer in production and carries a resale that is under $5000 in CASH.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-30-2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 AM
JVD

Originally posted by s13 240
How can you argue with me about the practicality of owning a RHD vehicle in a country where 99% of all cars are LHD and pretty much everything in the US is made for LHD drive vehicles. I am not saying the Skyline isn't a great car, I am saying that RHD isn't practical. I don't find having to unbuckle myself and reaching all the way across a car or possibly having to get out and walk around if I am not close enough practical when you can just be happy with your LHD vehicle and grab it from the drivers window. As for turns, they may be more fun in a skyline but that doesn't make them any easier. Our roadways are set up for LHD vehicles and if you have a RHD car it is gonna be a little more difficult than driving a regular car. So what your brother drives a RHD car daily, I could care less, you want me to give him JDM brownie points? I can bake cookies... With everything said, RHD is still impractical in the US where damn near everything is made for LHD vehicles. This is why I think that people that do RHD conversions are wasting their money, theres no purpose except being able to show off and have people say "ooh that car is super uber JDM tyte". I will not tell someone not to do it however, it is their vehicle and their money, they can do with it as they wish.

...and no I won't close this thread, maybe later
I agree with you about converting to RHD. I hate when people to that. There is absolutely no point in doing that. I still think if I had the chance to chose between my car and a skyline I would probably end up with the skyline. The impracticalities are a trade off for a great performing car.

JVD.

Quick Reply: Driving a RHD car in North America