General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Driving a RHD car in North America

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 AM

That might be true, but I think that the US would be more open to Japanese sports cars now. Especially since the whole drifting fad is getting big...it's only a matter of time before Nissan brings back an affordable FR platform.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

hmm... let me say... if you actually do follow through with purchasing a street legal Skyline (somehow, some way)~ just make sure you know all that you're getting yourself into. Obviously if you love the car that much to bust out the @$$load of cash for it despite it's shortcomings (lack of practicality, parts, roads built for LHD), then hey! props to you! Hell if I had enough money to do it, I'd buy one for ***** 'n' giggles too. Everybody here hating on it is hating on it from their perspective~ yes there's plenty of "better" alternatives for the money, but "better" also depends on your criteria for what you want in the car. High performance exclusivity? Originality? imo, whatever floats your boat and gets you goin'... just make sure it keeps you afloat and not stuck somewhere...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 PM

I AM SO SORRY!!!
I forgot to mention that I am in Canada!!!
Oh man! I thought that the laws for RHD cars were the same across North America!!!
DON'T CLOSE THIS PLEASE!!!!

@BigVinnie
It just so happens that a relative of mine lives in Vancouver and works as an interpretor for a company that is based in Japan (Nagasaki actually) between the North American office and the Japanese offices.

He and I have spoken quite seriously about the possibility of letting me travel to Nagasaki/Japan with him on a business meeting, inspect an R32 or R33 Skyline GTR, purchase it and then have it shipped across the Pacific to Canada.

I am seriously considering this oppurtunity and would appreciate something constructive from your replies, an aspect not found within your raging banter of "Search! Search!".

I think that it would be a very, very fun and unique vehicle to drive in North America.

Please do not confuse me with the youthful idiots with JDM fantasies, and more talk than pocketbook.

Last edited by GazXL; 11-30-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM

@Cowboy Turbo

You have nearly perfectly summed up the reasons why I want to own and operate a Nissan Skyline.

-My peers have Porsches, Corvettes, Audis, Mercedes-Benz and BMW's. Amongst them, I would have the most unique vehicle.

- The Skyline(s) are renowned across Europe, Australia and Asia as the "Godzilla" of automobiles. Having driven plenty of high-performance vehicles, I would like to have a new challenge, a new talent to perfect. I feel that a RHD vehicle would provide that challenge, and I fully wish to embrace it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM

That's awesome, a guy with money who loves a car that isn't mainstream in the upperclass. I am thrilled for you, even if you can't get mcdonald's in the US, you can go to rally's (checker's) and suprise them when you drive up! not to mention all the carshows you can win. As a dreamer who is broke and in college I salute you for being some one who will actually do it. be sure to post up picks when you get it, and i am sure everyone who see's it will compliment your car. Dam this thread pissed people off, talk about a flame session!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM

like you said gotta see some pics.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

imo, you ask any of the top-tuners in a country where the Skyline is legal, they'll tell you... SKYLINE IS KING. (Among Japanese imports anyway) No if's, and's, or but's about it. It is the stuff of legends. But that's just my opinion~ well along with a bunch of other people. lol.

*edit* GazXL, your peers roll around in Porsches, 'Vettes, Audis, M-B's, and Beamers? Dude I want to hangout with YOU and YOUR friends! g'luck on the skyline quest too~

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 11-30-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo

*edit* GazXL, your peers roll around in Porsches, 'Vettes, Audis, M-B's, and Beamers? Dude I want to hangout with YOU and YOUR friends! g'luck on the skyline quest too~
No you wouldn't...

Either A: they are squares, and wouldn't wantr to hang out with you anyways.

Or B: Just a bunch of Ghetto thugz from the Nollia, Compton, or East Oakland yadamean....LOL J/K

Or C: jerks in hollywood that are really gay and just use the cars to front and pick up women to hide there true in the closet activity.......

Or D: your BAtman and you don't have friends you just want the lambo to pick up 2 prostitutes at a time......

I think I'll stick with my 240 and the losers that I associate with.....LOL

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-30-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I think there is a 15 year rule for canada or something like that. After a car is 15 years old it's allowed to be legally imported or something like that. But basically owning a skyline in Canada is a hell of a lot eaiser than owning a car in the US. All the time on import sales sites I see skylines going into Canada. I think the US has something like the 20 year rule but again since I don't have the money yet to carry through any plans I haven't fully researched it.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

"Hello, good citizen! My name is Batman. You can be my assistant! Would you like that? Would you like to ride with Batman?" (think Snickers)
Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by twofotisx
I think there is a 15 year rule for canada or something like that. After a car is 15 years old it's allowed to be legally imported or something like that. But basically owning a skyline in Canada is a hell of a lot eaiser than owning a car in the US. All the time on import sales sites I see skylines going into Canada. I think the US has something like the 20 year rule but again since I don't have the money yet to carry through any plans I haven't fully researched it.
Not only that I see sylvia's from Canada getting sold on Ebay. Those french guy's always have something tricky up there sleeves....
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Only a few parts of Canada are French.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 PM

I don't think that you would want to hang around with a bunch of snobby rich ****** all day. I certainly don't enjoy it. Rich snooty ****** that think they are better than everyone.

That's why I want to show up to the office in a R33 GTR and show them who's who, and to which car they can bow down and worship.

Thanks for everyones input, I hope to purchase a Skyline someday, when "finances" (the wife) permits....

Thanks
Gaz
Old 12-02-2005, 04:50 PM

skyline is god
240's - their younger half god sister
im just a lowly mechanic who managed to get an sr20det
wouldnt trade it for nothin
maybe when we go to heaven
there will be a skyline for us all
Old 12-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by GazXL
I don't think that you would want to hang around with a bunch of snobby rich ****** all day. I certainly don't enjoy it. Rich snooty ****** that think they are better than everyone.

That's why I want to show up to the office in a R33 GTR and show them who's who, and to which car they can bow down and worship.

Thanks for everyones input, I hope to purchase a Skyline someday, when "finances" (the wife) permits....

Thanks
Gaz
How come you want an R33? If you ask me, R32 GT-Rs are much nicer looking. Well, I just don't like the front of the R33 GT-R because it reminds me too much of a Sentra. If I could afford an R34, I like those best, just based on looks. Obviously I've never driven any of the three, so I'll just shut my mouth now.

Quick Reply: Driving a RHD car in North America