General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:32 PM

Electrical problem?

As i start the car all things electrical jsut seem to fail half way through the car starting process...the car just goes dead.
The starter just stops cranking, the power seatbelts get stuck half way through the track, all power goes out.
I remedy this easily by disconnecting and reconnecting the negative battery terminal and i am able to start it right up.
This has only happened twice and does not happen often, but it concerns me. Help a brotha' out please.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Well, first thing is first. Your battery. Is your battery old/ clean? Check to see if it still has atleast 12v. Use a multimeter/voltmeter. If thats good, do a visual inspection of your battery to see if there is any leaks or if your battery terminals are dirty. You could use an old toothbrush and some baking soda and water in a cup or something and clean your terminals. If that isn't it you should check your battery wiring, I know some people who this happened to. You should check for tears in the wiring or any contact, if theirs any electrical tape or anything else you might want to check that out and see if thats the issue. Other issue's might be other wiring, starter, alternator. Just start from the beginning, so you know for sure, I hope this helps later
Old 07-17-2005, 01:08 PM

Could be the battery...ill check
Old 07-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a bad ground to me...check your ground wire and terminals. Are they corroded or rusted or even connected solidly? Clean them off and reconnect them tight, but not so tight that you break the threads. If that doesn't work, then try the battery and replace if neccessary.