General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

FAL install took 6,1/2 hours!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 PM

FAL install took 6,1/2 hours!!!

Finally took the time to install my FAL electric fan and thermostatic switch on Saturday. Overall easy install but a serious pain in the but, not to mention I started cleaning the radiator which was filled with news paper and debris.
A couple of reasons why I did this install.
First reason I wanted more low end torque at the wheels and this was a good way to do it.
Secondly my fan/clutch assembly took a major crap on me. It was so bad my idle would fluctuate really bad.
Third I could start to notice the drag and power loss from a clutch fan that no longer works good.
Fourth reason is that it is getting time to replace the upper timing chain assembly of it's rattle and it's an SOB having to put crappy parts like the belt driven fan back on.
Fifth reason I'm heading out to infinion for the 1/4mile, so what the hell might as well.
Do I notice a significant difference? yes!!!!!!!! I also have the thermostatic switch clocked in to the temperatures and fan speed that I need it at so it does the job and is worth every penny!!!!!
Things that sucked were that I had to cut the old clutch fan assembly apart just so I could bolt the water pump pulley back on.
Another thing that sucked was that I dragged major but and it was dark by 8PM and didn't finish the wiring until about 9:50 and I still had to test and adjust the thermostatic switch. Major pain in the rear when it's dark outside.
But it's done so I thought I would show some pics of the finished product.
Name:  FALinstall1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  35.4 KB
Name:  FALinstall2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  40.2 KB
Name:  FALinstall3.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

gnarly. Pics and walkthrough? I need electic fans myself. How much did the setup cost?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
gnarly. Pics and walkthrough? I need electic fans myself. How much did the setup cost?
If you order the FLX-110 (puller fan) through summit racing it will cost $270 with shipping included, that is for there most basic thermo switch that they have to offer.
I ordered the FLX-220 because I didn't find the thermostatic switch that comes with the 110 to be sufficient enough for my needs(220 doesn't come with any switch, that is basically the difference between the 2 versions).
220 came to a cost of $240 through summit racing, and thermostatic switch I ordered through JEGS was $80. My set up was more expensive obviously but I needed the additional relay for A/C relay and for variable speed temperature control. The variable speed/temperature control is a must for controlling hot and cold spikes. The ecu can control A/F ratio's more consistently with well regulated coolant temperature.
The fans come in an assortment of 3 colors Blue, Red, and black. A black is the standard number of either 220 or 210. A red will be labeled 210R or a 220R, and Blue of course would be labeled 210B, or 220B.
I ordered the FLX-220B.
It's also super easy to have your thermo switch as close to the relay/fuse box as possible as I show in the last pick. You can route the ignition wire in directly through the 30AMP fuse. It's also closer to the radiator and easier to run the temp sensor lines to the switch as well.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-01-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 AM

i've got the fal 220 fans as well. i ordered up the fal controller too. the fans are already here, the switch should show up today.

a how to would be great.

did the fans mount properly on your radiator. they sent some vinyl screws for me to run through the radiator fins which I'm not too excited about doing. just wondering how you did it.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-02-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bumnah
i've got the fal 220 fans as well. i ordered up the fal controller too. the fans are already here, the switch should show up today.

a how to would be great.

did the fans mount properly on your radiator. they sent some vinyl screws for me to run through the radiator fins which I'm not too excited about doing. just wondering how you did it.
Jack front of the car up about 1 foot or until you can crawl underneath.Remove intake system. Move vacuum lines out of the way if you have any.
Then crack the nuts from the fan/coolant pump pulley. Then loosen power steering pump.
Pull the belt driven fan/clutch out. Then take the 4 bolts off of the fan shroud ( 2 at the bottom corners, and 2 at the top corners). Fan shroud and if you have A/C electric fan will come right out together as 2 separate pieces.
For the coolant pulley pump you will need to cut the clutch fan off so that you can use the 4 hole pattern as a large washer to tighten the coolant pulley back on. Then you can tighten the power steering assembly and belt tight once that is done.
Remove coolant lines to remove radiator (top and bottom).

Minor modification will be needed around the coolant passages (inlet/outlet). If you are still using the stock OEM radiator.
You will have to completely take the radiator out. Clean it before positioning and mounting the FAL fan (it's nice to work on a table while doing this).
When positioning the fan you will notice that there is very little clearance for the coolant hoses and straps to go back on to the radiator. Just simply cut out some of the black rubber on the FAL fan, where it will look where the coolant hoses and straps may touch the rubber. There will be some aluminum strapping in the rubber, so cut away with shears or bend it back, it will be very brittle. Once the fan is perfectly square and positioned with the radiator then you use the 6 threaded type (vinyl) screws with vinyl nut and washer. Take the 6 vinyl screw threads and put them through the radiator core (first you will need to use a pick to plunge a nice size hole through the core without damaging it). The FAL manual shows you how to prep the heater core to get the plastic threads through, and tighten with nut and washer.
Once the electric fan is locked into the radiator then mount back into place onto the radiator support, and re attach coolant lines.
As far as electrical goes follow the FAL instructions they are very direct when it comes in the mail. You will just want to put it close to the relay fuse box as I did.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-30-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Bah... im just gonna stick with my altima fans... My 240 isnt going to be any kind of speed demon anymore.. aside from the mods I already bought, and some new suspension mods and fixes. Im tired of going fast at the cost of my car's longevity. After this rebuild Im gonna settle with it for a while, find a 240 vert, and turbo the **** outa it.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
Bah... im just gonna stick with my altima fans... My 240 isnt going to be any kind of speed demon anymore.. aside from the mods I already bought, and some new suspension mods and fixes. Im tired of going fast at the cost of my car's longevity. After this rebuild Im gonna settle with it for a while, find a 240 vert, and turbo the **** outa it.
Performance is a luxury best served expensive.
Beside the fact you should run the altima fans with a good thermo static switch and you would be good to go.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-02-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

I need to get the car running. How well will be determined later. You have to uderstand, with my bills, setbacks, and carelessness I havent been able to drive my 240 in... um.. hold on.. 9 months! man it seems like a long time. anyways, yeah I do plan on getting a thermostat switch once I fix the body and brakes (long stories) and get the car back on the road.

How hard are they to operate? Do they have like a dial or something to set when it kicks on?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM

my fal fan controllers came in today. and they have athermostat you put in between the radiator fins near the water inlet. the unit allows you to wire it up with the ac condensor to kick the fans on. you can do a manual fan switch and wire them up to run whenever the temp goes above a certain degree even when the car is off. for $45 yo ucan't beat that. pretty much cover it all.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

looks good man
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

I bet your engine bay is frozen now. Lol. Looks good, Vinnie!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks guy's and the fan is working great! It even freed up some of the steering problems I was having at idle (the clutch fan was defenitely not doing it's job, it was just a parasite). Temprature runs cool and acceleration is MUCH better!!!! All Nissans should come with electric fans!!!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Good Info Vin, Im looking to do this in the near future as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 PM

I would also like to add that my gas mileage has become significantly better. Idle is still perfect. I also did some test runs at infinion raceway, and knocked off .2 seconds from last years time. Last year my clutch fan wouldn't disengage, it definitely ate up some HP...

Info you MUST READ.....
http://home.satx.rr.com/nissanweb/RadTest/RadTest.htm

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-18-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 PM

Can I use my stock s14 A/C fan and hook it up to a thermostatic switch???

Quick Reply: FAL install took 6,1/2 hours!!!