S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   Firing order (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/firing-order-19391/)

jackyliem 01-20-2005 06:12 PM

Firing order

hey guys I just bought a set of NGK spark plug wire but when I change them I found that I might have the wrong firing order for all the time. I know the firing order should be 1-3-4-2 and I know that the cyclinder order are from the front (radiator for 1) to back (transmission for 4). however I have no idea which plug on the distributor represent which fire order. Although there are number labeled on the wire, I found that the # 3 wire are not long enough to reach the third cyclinder. I am so confused........ any body please help.

BTW. Would I be able to feel the differce for wrong firing order? cuz I am pretty sure I got #1 and #4 right. so the only problem is between #2 and #3

can anyone also post the picture of which cyclinder is which? thx

R34 Racer 01-20-2005 10:36 PM

If your firing order was wrong you'd know it. The car probably wouldnt start, would run on two cylinders, making it feel like driving a car with a lawnmower engine. Also, the exhaust would sound very pulsey, like a WRX at low revs.

LTSCUDRFT 01-20-2005 10:41 PM

http://www.**********/faq/articles/pics/timing03.jpg

For more info:
www.**********/faq/articles/timing101.htm

jackyliem 01-20-2005 10:47 PM

mine is a KA24E would the distributor and firing order be different?

jackyliem 01-20-2005 11:06 PM

is the cyclinder 1 on that picture mean the cyclinder closest to the radiator like what I meant?

LTSCUDRFT 01-20-2005 11:41 PM

OKay........ take out the 1st spark plug rotate the crank until you hear a hissing sound (that is you #1 piston coming to TDC)
when the hissing stops, take off the dist. cap and the roter will be pointing to the #1 sparker (or very close to it), from that your firing order goes clockwise.. or just like the pic, it's not too hard to figure out.

wikd240 01-21-2005 02:26 AM

on his ka24e and all the other caps the number 1 position is marked on the cap... start at one and go clockwise... on my ka24e the #1 position was close to the bottem of the distributop closest to the ac compressor... dont have pics cus isold the motor on wednesday...

l2aine 01-21-2005 09:05 AM

Originally posted by jackyliem
is the cyclinder 1 on that picture mean the cyclinder closest to the radiator like what I meant?
1-2-3-4 from radiator (front) to tranny (rear)... just follow the picture posted with the distrib and wire it up 1-2-3-4.

jackyliem 01-21-2005 10:32 AM

oh well I finally found out my firing order. cuz having wrong fire order is significant.
mind is (ridiator)-------->(tranny)
4 3
2 1

l2aine 01-21-2005 10:44 AM

Originally posted by jackyliem
oh well I finally found out my firing order. cuz having wrong fire order is significant.
mind is (ridiator)-------->(tranny)
4 3
2 1

um... my #1 wire is to the cyl closest to the rad... all the way to #4 at the back.

Something's wrong there.

jackyliem 01-21-2005 10:56 AM

those number represent the number on the distributor cap. cyclinder #1 is still closest to the radiator.

btw I found the number on the distributor cap so I am positive that I got it right

Project Cheap13 01-21-2005 10:56 AM

It all depends on how someone put in the distributor. When 1 is on TDC, they probably just droppped in the dist & lined up the #1 plug wire with the rotor. While its ok to do that, it is wrong.

The PROPER firing order is as follows.
<front of car, in a counter-clockwise rotation. The firing order is 1,3,4,2

TOP..
1 being nearest the firewall. 3 near the radiator
BOTTOM
4 near radiator & 2 firewall

This is the PROPER way it should be done.

On that picture, just move the cap in a CLOCKWISE position by one plug wire cap & that would be correct( THIS IS FOR THE KA24E RWD). The way the one in the pic is set up is for a FWD car, like the stanza, ect...