General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Front Seal replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Front Seal replacement...

Ok... I think the source of all the oil getting blown out of the KA in the car currently is the front seal. I am thinking I might just go ahead and get the front seal fixed and start driving the car. I hope this is what the problem was.

So how hard is it to change out the front seal?

Also, where the hell did my thread go?!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

it depends on how good you are mechanically. I've had a leaking front seal for half a year now but I haven't gotten around to fixing it 'cuz it's a good amount of work and it's leaking slowly. Basically the problem lies in you have to get the oil pan off to get the front cover off. This means either dropping the suspension to give you enough room to get it off or pulling then engine out...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:24 PM

How far does the pan have to come down? I've been working on cars since I was 12... I just want to know how much I'm getting into before I tear it all apart to find out I would have been better off just doing the KA to KA swap..
Old 09-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

honestly I haven't done it yet, Wikd240 who's around here sometimes knows better~ he pulls these things out like every other day. You can try PM'ing him or Big Vinnie would probably know too. I believe it has to drop at least two and a half inches. The FSM says to basically drop the whole front suspension...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:35 PM

are you talking about the front crank seal? cause if you are that is very simple to fix!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 PM

i replaced the crank seal and the front cover seal, much easier than if you are talkin about the seal around the crank... the front seal u just have to take out everything that is in the way, undo the screw in the main crank pulley and take out the seal. for new gasket around the front cover u have to take off damn near everything, including oil pan which meanse a bunch of the steering support, steering column and all kinds of ****, it isn't terrible if you have an impact wrench, but it is definately a good weekends job
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 PM

Well, which one is it more than likely for this engine blowing oil everywhere? The VC gaskets aren't leaking. There is oil everywhere. On the frame rails, alternator, fan, wiring... ect. It's all over...

I'd like to not HAVE to pull this engine to put in another identical one unless I HAVE to.

If its a simple fix, I'd much rather do that.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know about you, but I'm talking about the front cover seal. It took me a while to figure out where the leak was coming from because the oil really was getting sprayed all over the place. The leak is slow though and it pretty much stops in the winter so I don't think I'm going to get around to it until spring.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
I don't know about you, but I'm talking about the front cover seal. It took me a while to figure out where the leak was coming from because the oil really was getting sprayed all over the place.
Same... oil is getting sprayed all over the place... So more than likely the front cover one mine as well?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 PM

i just did a front crank seal on a car that had oil all over the wiring and belts... it was the crank seal. id start there cause all you gotta do is pull off the belts and the crank pully.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by ABCDrift
i just did a front crank seal on a car that had oil all over the wiring and belts... it was the crank seal. id start there cause all you gotta do is pull off the belts and the crank pully.
Sounds like what I'll be doing tuesday. Oh, what did you do to get rid of all the oil that had been sprayed everywhere?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:34 AM

pressure washed the engine bay when i was done
Old 09-10-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by ABCDrift
pressure washed the engine bay when i was done
What did you use though? Simple Green? Purple Power?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:33 PM

just water
Old 09-21-2005, 07:42 AM

update please I happen to have the same proplem to oil freaking goes everywhere on mine to sounds like the exact proplem . Did u do the front crank seal? did it work?

Quick Reply: Front Seal replacement...