General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Have we all forgotten???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 AM

Have we all forgotten???

So I have bee the proud owner of a 240 for the past two years and ever since I've owned it, I've came to sites like these to find information on parts, techniques, and overall automotive knowledge from other owners. Lately I've noticed that everytime you leave a thread on this site, people either tell you to search around more or give you a hassle about the questions you are asking. Recently I left a thread about some carbon fiber wide body fenders...some helpful people left me some good sites to check out but others just sat there and asked why I would put carbon fiber fenders on. To top it all off, the thread got closed because two other members started an argument. Look, I know you can get some real nubes on this site that don't know much, but remember why you got in to cars, remember that we are all here to help, not scrutinize. All people want when they ask is your help, and they ask because you guys are the ones who know. Sorry for leaving such a long message, its jst my rant for the day...
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 PM

1) the people that ***** are the ones that used to own civics and bought a 240 thanks to pimp my ride.lol
2)the ? has been answered and the moderators just want newbs to try and do the work themselves first

my rant for the day , this isnt a civic forum we all own nissans and we all love our cars for what they can do, nissan people are a family, other people aka honda people know eveything and hate evryone else because we dont know everything. oh and our cars are better ;-) lol
(and i really dont hate people that own a honda, my best friend owns one, but thier community put this own themselves,lol)
people- dont forget our roots and what we stand for!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM

I definately agree with you on that one. I think the biggest reason for the search response tho, is that getting too many threads about the same thing takes up alot of space on the server. As for the arguing part, yes, it happens. People have different opinions, and you will probably find that anywhere you go, but it is kinda sad that people will sit and argue instead of answering a simple question. I know what it is like to be a newb, going from driving a grand am to this(totally opposite) and when I first started posting on here, I got heckled a little bit. But now that I have somewhat an idea of what I am doing, I am happy to answer questions that I can. I have even been known to sit and research something, just so I can answer someones question. I hope this thread helps make this forum better, and everyone will go back to not caring what you got, just that you got it and you are trying to mod it. Where I live, I am in a car club that has all kinds of different cars. The import scene is not big up here, so we all have to stick together. This place needs to be more like that I think. There is my rant for the day to complement your rant for the day. LOL
Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Occasionally yeah people get into real arguments, but most of the time they don't. But realize that search doesn't mean just this forum. It means the internet, it means your dad who also has a 350z, it means your friends, it means that take the time to ask the readily available reasources availible to you before you post a question because your too lazy to post for yourself. I'm an utter newb. but i'm already seeing guys that repost massively. I just upgraded my suspension and am still going through the process. But instead of just posting a cry for help I found several threads that were almost exactly what I was looking for. However afterwards I still had a few questions. So what I did was post a thread with my question that also contained more or less the other information that I found. That way the more experienced guys on here would know i wasn't just a lazy a$$. So basically it boils down to this, if I think your asking a question that's original or that you've somehow shown in the past that you try to look stuff up on your own, I'll answer it if i can. If your question however is posted two steps away from a thread that contains the answer that you should have easily found, I'm going to tell you to search.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM

I am the one that closed the thread. The reason it was closed was because certain people have the tendancy to just go into threads and instigate arguments. That certain person has gone into several threads and ruined them and started arguments that were totally uncalled for, if he would've stopped the thread would have remained open, but based past experiences the argument would have went on and on.

As for the thing about searching. The reason I tell people to search is because, like I usually state in the thread, its been covered before. If I can take three seconds to click on the search button to find the answer, others can certainly do the same. It's like having the directions to do something, but asking someone else to do it for you, some people just need to take the time and do a search for themselves. If you have a question that I can answer, and I know we have not went into detail about it before I will gladly answer if, but if I see the question " How to do an s15 conversion?" its almost a definite that I'm going to close it, because it has been covered so many times. Five seconds is all it takes to search, alot of the times searching will find the answer, and it will be alot quicker than possibly waiting a few hours for someone to reply and answer your question.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:56 PM

maybe there should be an FAQ section that has a lot of archived threads pertaining to the question that is asked. ie what suspension is the best or what should I do first and then those are broken down even further, ie..Suspension- Tein vs GR6 or Tein springs vs RS*R springs ans so forth. That way it is WAY more visible and attractive to the noobs.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:50 PM

I agree with everything above EXCEPT

THE HONDA VS NISSAN BULL****.

Come on. This honda/nissan crap is like junior high rivals. GROW THE F UP. I own a very modified honda, and I also own a somewhat modified nissan. When i drive the honda i don't just turn into a cockblocking *******. And when i drive my nissan i dont turn into the most polite guy on this planet.

Lets grow up. As a matter of fact, try going on www.hondasociety.com The people there are a LOT more mature than here.

Sorry my rant. Just getting sick and tired of the bs.

On a side note. I have learned a lot from this site, and appritiate all the help that helpfull people like s13240 and i2ain offer. thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:05 PM
JVD

Just from browsing this forum for a while I noticed what you are talking about. ie. I opened a thread asking about some wheel offsets and after about 3 replies it gets closed. WTF? It's funny cause I did search, and only found a few informative threads. Sure this may have been answered before but some people just like some reassurance when making thousand dollar purchases and some things are hard to searh for(wheel offsets). While just browsing the forum I noticed like 15 threads that ended with "learn to search! closed!" All by the same mod BTW. Some help that is.

JVD.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

The whole "search'" response is appropriate for certain topics that seem to pop-up every other week or so. Like S13 said, 3-5 seconds of searching might help someone answer the common questions themselves. It would also keep the forums as a whole from getting loaded up with a bunch of repeated and useless threads. Think about it like this:

- 1 person asks "how to _____ my car"

- that thread gets 10-15 responses, question answered, problem solved.

- the next week, a new person asks the same question without searching first. Now there's 2 threads on the same subject, one with the answer already posted.

- the next week another new person asks the same question without searching. There's another new thread...and so on. and so on... until let's say over the course of 2 months, there's now 8-10 seperate threads, all about the same question, and one of the (the first one) has the answer already.

The end result is that searching becomes more difficult because the forums get over-saturated with "repeat posts".

IMHO Part of the problem is that a lot of new members who register here (or a lot of new car people in general) don't even put 1/2 of an effort into finding things out on their own. This is easily proven with the younger crowd, the high schoolers who see things like drift competitions or Option videos and want to get into it, but only focus on getting the actual car. Then when it comes to doing something to the car, or fixing or diagnosing something to the car, a lot of these people don't bother trying to learn it on their own. It's a lot easier for them to ask someone then to spend some time and learn something.

I think it's in JDM Insider Vol. 2 (or was it #1?) where there was a good interview with Takahiro Ueno where he stated something similar to what I said above. This guy wasn't talking out of his *** either - he started his own aero company, slept in the store because he had no place to live, studied on his own to learn how to do aero... that's what I respect - someone who puts effort into something they really like.

As for the "Honda drivers bleeding over into 240's", it's not a fairy tale. A lot of the HIN show crowd follow trends, and if 240's and drifting are becoming "in" and Honda's and drag racing are going "out" then of course you're going to have people converting over. Also, the whole "Honda vs. Nissan" thing can be taken word-for-word, whether you like it or not. The tuning market is oversaturated with Honda/Acura's, to the point where in certain neighborhoods if you were to stand on a street corner for 1 hour you'll probably count 5-15 fixed up Civics or Integs or Accords passing by, compared to 0-1 240sx's.

Now then, The 240sx community to me is more integrated and more social than the Honda/Acura crowds that I've seen or been exposed to. Because of the fact that there is that oversaturation of Civics/Integs/Accords, the enthusiasts who own those cars end up in 'competetive mode" because it takes so much more to stand out if you own 1 Civic in a million.

Personally, I hate Civic and Integra drivers - and I'll say that out loud - mainly because 98% of them are in that "My car is better - wanna race and see?" high school mode. One of our local meets was shutdown because some idiot in a GS-R did a burnout trying to showoff. Whenever I pull up to a stoplight next to a Civic hatch, they rev. If I try to pass an Accord that's tuned on the freeway simply because I want to get to my destination faster, they usually think it's "tokyo Highway Battle" time.

Whereas if I see a 240 person in a parking lot, we usually end up having a conversation for a few minutes. Other 240 drivers wave at me as they pass by. This one 240 guy actually slowed down on the freeway, waited for me to catch up, rolled his window down (in the rain, mind you) just to wave hello.

Do I hate Honda's? No. I don't like the attitudes of people who drive them. It just happens to be that they're usually driving a car with an "A" or an "H" on it.

Also, about the arguing thing - there's a difference between "arguing" and "discussing" a subject. Usually threads get closed if an arguement starts, to where with each new post there's 0% of helpful information. If the discussion is a "heated" one but is backed up by facts, then usually the thread will stay open in the interest of those facts being available for others to see in the future.

There was a discussion I was involved in regarding engine swapping, and one poster was trying to be mr. know-it-all to the point that that poster got hostile and actually said the "let's race then and see who wins" line... to which another poster searched around, quoted a current, reliable source of information and literally shut the first poster up.

The second poster is the ones that are helpful to our community. The first poster - 240sx driver or not - we can all live without. Like I said, that kind of attitude and behavior isn't attached to your "typical Honda/Acura" driver without reason.

Which brings us back around to the current subject. It's this attitude that gets annoying. Sure, I know there are a lot of people who join the forum to learn stuff. I was one of those people. In fact there's still a lot that I have to learn about my car, but before I actually ask a question, I do my searching. I search here, I search other forums, I use Google, I check FSMs, I don't just search for "coilovers" but for "suspension" and "shocks" and "lowering'" etc.

If 1/2 of the new members used 1/2 of the effort that I personally use to find things out, I'd be happy. I encourage new members to search, and I don't mean 2 minutes. I remember I spent weeks going through this forum learning stuff on my own before even posting a thread for the first time.

So anyhow, I don't know if my post made complete sense, but forums are also primarily for another purpose: stating one's opinion.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM

I agree with the unanimous statement that people should search. I personally am a big fan of doing the work yourself so i understand why certain posts are closed when they identically mimick the previous 15 posts. On the other hand, I agree with the previous statement that even after I search, I don't fnd what need and i ask...but then the thread gets closed down because they tell me to search. Trust me, I have the utmost respect for the moderators because it has to be a really tedious duty, but just cut some slack sometimes. Like stated above, when you are putting a ton of money down on some upgrade, you want to be sure that it wil do the things u need to do...thanks for the replies guys
Old 01-25-2005, 02:11 PM

along the lines of search, i think things like raine's "10 must have garage items" should be loaded into a database. of course, archiving the threads could be done but instead of that, the useful information should just be archived. things like wheel offsets, which chassis came with what, factory fogs, and just basic information of USDM and JDM OEM specs. of course, the FAQs is where conversion and upgrade stuff should remain, but ive noticed a lot of people simply asking for specs on different models. ive seen so many people with half answers, and sites with people who just dont know if theyre right or not. i try to find out the history of the generations of the car and end up with a headache due to this.

on the other hand when i saw raine's timing chain rattle fix and similar, i was pleased to see the information stated clearly, and then thoroughly discussed. my only hate against that is how stickies get overlooked. *sigh*
Old 01-25-2005, 07:55 PM

You know wats gonna be funny? When NOOBS actually do a "search" on the forums, they're gonna use the search engine on this site or search on their own or watever right? Well, when their key word/ topic comes up on the results, those topics might be answered by someone right? and u know wat that answer is gonna be? SEARCH! yea! u got it. We're gonna loop around telling each other to search, when we're actualling searching.

it happened to me . yes, i noobed myself.
if u can, plz make an effort to answer that would be great. I know some of u tell them to "search 1st next time" and follow that up with a solution or the answer itself. thats koo with me.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Then keep looking. I remember looking for a sleey eye mod, a common S13 question how-to, and well, I took a long *** time since everyone kept asking the same question. However, I finally came to an answer after searching for a long time. It's not like you're gonna be searching for a minute and there you go, you got the answer. If you want something, be persistent and keep looking till you find it.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
JVD

Originally posted by ArticDragon
Then keep looking. I remember looking for a sleey eye mod, a common S13 question how-to, and well, I took a long *** time since everyone kept asking the same question. However, I finally came to an answer after searching for a long time. It's not like you're gonna be searching for a minute and there you go, you got the answer. If you want something, be persistent and keep looking till you find it.
If someone asks the same question you will probably link them to what you found right? It seems a few people here would still say search. The more everyone tells eachother to search the harder it will be to find the right answer. People will search and only find threads that are telling people to search.... I don't know if that made sense or not.

JV.

EDIT: looks like I said the same thing as srikool

Last edited by JVD; 01-25-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Simple then, delete the useless threads.

Quick Reply: Have we all forgotten???