General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help with making choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:30 PM

Help with making choice

I need your guy's help, right now im selling my car on ebay. Im currently looking for ither a 240 or a AE86 but i don't know which one maby you guys could help. thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 12:39 PM

get a 240.. they're newer, have more mods state side, they look better, and i'm sure the online support from forums is much larger as well.

what do you want the car for. what are your goals?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:50 PM

Well I was thinkin if i get the 240 maby the rb26dett or just the sr20det but on the other hand i can get the 86 and have a 4ag/8ag with a stage 3 head for about the same price just for the engines but in the long run the 240 would run me more money but look better. my goals are to have a 240 with 550 hp which isn't that bad of a goal "hks 3037" hehe and my other goal is to have one nasty na 86 that drifts to my hearts content.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by MidnightIce
Well I was thinkin if i get the 240 maby the rb26dett or just the sr20det but on the other hand i can get the 86 and have a 4ag/8ag with a stage 3 head for about the same price just for the engines but in the long run the 240 would run me more money but look better. my goals are to have a 240 with 550 hp which isn't that bad of a goal "hks 3037" hehe and my other goal is to have one nasty na 86 that drifts to my hearts content.

What kind of driving experience do you have? what's your current/past cars, and how long have you been driving/racing? do you have any background in autocrossing by any chance?

how much money do you have to spend? if you where to swap an rb26dett series engine into a 240 (i'm assuming s13 since you're thinking about getting a hachi) you'll easly spend arround 2 or 3 times what you paid just for the car. on top of that, you'll NEVER get that much power to the ground with a 240sx stock suspension, lsd, and wheel/tire setup. just clearing that up for you.

this is my advise for you. take it how you will, as it's not a flame, it's just advise.

1.) don't let yourself be influenced by the gay *** "drift" craze.
2.) get a car that you are confertable with, and like stock.
3.) learn to drive the car as it comes, bone stock w/ stock suspension and wheels/tires
4.) invest in an SCCA membership and autocross for a fiew months/year or get some driving lessons. really get used to whatever car you buy.
5.) when you can feel out what you think would make the car handle better, start to upgrade your suspension.
6.) when your suspension is maxed out, theeeeeeen worry about performence.

it's really easy to say "do i want this or that" but when you actualy sit down and have to wait while you make the money to dump in the car, it really changes your perspective on how you spend it. you sort of start spending your money moding your car in a much wiser way.

as i said, not a flame, just good advise. don't turn into another one of those mindless drifter zombees who are starting to flood the import scene. there's so much more fun driving beneith the 240sx than sliding it out of control. feel free to post back if you have any questions or comments
Old 07-26-2003, 01:19 PM

My last car was a 1990 mazda miata with tein coilovers, jackson racing supercharger and the usual basics, 3'' piping, header, exhaust, intake on stock internals. iv'e been autocrossing for about a year and a half now. if im going to get a 240 it would be the s14. the car im selling on ebay is a 89 nissan maxima daily driver with body kit. but i need a new project ither the 240 or the roku
Old 07-26-2003, 01:29 PM

you should still aply what i told you in the other post though... if you're concidering an s14 get one by all means. there's no reason why one would want one over the corolla, especialy if you could actualy afford to get an s14. the s14 looks better, is newer, will most likely have lower miles, and you'd have more fun in it. miatas are fun cars to autoX in, but 240's are a whole different beast. get a 240, get good at driving it, upgrade the suspension, then upgrade the wheels/tires and then go for some performence. you can get an intake, headers, cams, chip the ecu, exhaust etc, for the ka of course, but that'd be just to add alittle punch to the car.

my advise still stands the same though, get the 240 and get good at feeling it out. if you do deside to upgrade anything off the bat though, do suspension.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

i can get the 86 and have a 4ag/8ag
There's no such thing as an 8ag. The last "a" series they made whas the 7af....
Old 07-26-2003, 05:33 PM

"There's no such thing as an 8ag. The last "a" series they made whas the 7af...."

wow your just amazing arn't you but not smart

the 8ag is 7AF Celica/Corolla block with TRS BigBore pistons and TRS forged Stroker crank
4AG head fits bolt-on with special belt, tensioner and other modifications
so yes there is a 8ag.... do your reading kid.....then come back but till then just keep quiet
Old 07-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

"There's no such thing as an 8ag. The last "a" series they made whas the 7af...."

wow your just amazing arn't you but not smart

the 8ag is 7AF Celica/Corolla block with TRS BigBore pistons and TRS forged Stroker crank
4AG head fits bolt-on with special belt, tensioner and other modifications
so yes there is a 8ag.... do your reading kid.....then come back but till then just keep quiet
Why the hell did u lash out back out at him? What did him or anyone else here do to u?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

I don't mind being corrected, but jesus man calm down. There's no need to act like a dick cause you're talking about a made up engine designation. 8ag.... it's just a 7af with a 4ag head and TRS BigBore pistons and TRS forged Stroker crank. Or better yet just say a 7ag w/ TRS BigBore pistons and TRS forged Stroker crank.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

i wish we had a little emot-icon thing that said, DICK ALERT, or something like that
Old 07-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

I bet they do, but I sure as hell aint gonna search for one.... Bad websites, very bad.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
I bet they do, but I sure as hell aint gonna search for one.... Bad websites, very bad.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:49 PM

man i'm not a dick but people that come on here and say theres no such thing is rediculious, I've spent alot of time learning my **** so I can talk on these fourms, but if you would have just said "hmmmm I'm courious.. whats a 8ag" not "theres no such thing as a 8ag" Then you wouldn't have thought I was a "dick" or so you put it. Thats the only thing that bothers me.... I'm just your average car enthusast, not a dick, and explaning all that is done to make a 8ag is a waist of time... just ask if you don't know...."assumption is the mother of all **** ups"......

Nick
Old 07-27-2003, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

the way u put it made it seemed like u were dick...just a heads up sir, try not to come off as a cocky dick?

Quick Reply: Help with making choice