General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

I think I need a wing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 AM

yeah, you need a wing. why ask here? i think i need a wing too, when i cruise at 45 on the M-1 i start to lose my end.... i've done 100+, stock (worn out) tires, crappy stock suspension, and had no problems.

and yeah. i thnk a " wing is pointless on almost every street production car EVER MADE". my girlfriend has a carolla with spoiler. i think the fastest that car has gone is 75. i'm sure the wing does a helluva lot there. how many people, who have a poiler on thier car, drive 80/90+ a lot? probably not that many.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM

id you're doing 115 on I-80 with a 20mph crosswind, check EVERYTHING. make sure ur KYB suspension is set up correctly and actually doing what its supposed to do. if you're sure its all spec and you have a chance when its not windy, make the same run and see if you get that same instability. make your decision after that.

as for wings:
porsche has their automatic wings set between 60 and 80 (different on some models and generations), and as for ricer wings, they are trying to imitate the real thing, which are track cars. if you look at GT, JGTC, LM, DTM and all the like, the wings looks kinda like the ricer wings, but the ricers simply can not pull off that much spoiler surface area as gracefully as a touring car. not to mention for them its all show, when wings that big should be for all go.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:24 AM

I think you need to look at the other wing thread, the guy talking about 3x the downforce and whatnot. Getting a wing to settle the back of your car is harder than it sounds, for most, they buy a wing that either looks good or hope has some performance but it's all about how the winf rolls off and around the body of the car. Your car could be cutting a stream of air that never hits the spoiler, or only 30% hits the spoiler. Those in the touring classes, Japan and otherwise are all wind tunnel tested and the bodies have been modified to adjust for minor imperfections.

I think it's better left that if you cannot handle 115 stock, then you shouldn't try it otherwise. And if your going to try it agian, do it on a track because you almost crashed your car going an obscene speed on a public road.

I'm not trying to flame I'm just saying be serious and think about what's really going on.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 AM

Stock wings do help alot.....for most cars that are ment to go fast, the body of the car is alot more aerodynamic of the passenger cars. if you look at the sportscars, they produce much more clean lines when they're in the windtunnel.... when you place a 350z or a supra, they're going to produce a much lower drag coef. than lets say a.....maxima or sentra...b/c the backs are so high. when wind travels over the car, it stays as one streamline over the entire car. on a maxima or sentra....the line will usually split around the middle of the back mirror. one our 240sx fastback, the wind parts down the middle of the back windshield.
soo...since the supra and 350z produce such nice lines, their spoilers do not to be placed as high as an evo or sti. but the supra's wing does sit kinda high, or just a little lower than the roof of the car, so...the SUPRAS WING PRODUCES 100LBS of DOWNFORCE GOING ONLY 60MPH. now 100lbs is a pretty good amount...
usually the smaller wings like the ones on the max don't do every much, they do create the "downforce" but its not worth looking up......
you guys would probably think that the stupid spikes on the back of the EVO MR is stupid....but those spikes acually lowers the amount of drag produced behind the car. it also makes their big *** wing more effiecient.
anyways...im saying, that the stock wings do make a difference and one of the biggest parts of installing your wing is where u place it.
so...just be careful where u place it, how high, and how much of an angle, you dont want one thats place higher than the roof or your car arched at like a 45 degrees.....or like some dumbasses at my school w/ their cheap *** ebay wing at a degree which would cause the rear to lift....i know i know...if the rear lifts, technically that would mean the front becomes lowered creating downforce in the front for thier blue FF neon.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:12 AM

if u've read the article by....Road and track,scc....forgot who did it...but it compared the 3 evos; RS, reg. and MR.... the evo mr and rs were euiped w/ aluminum roofs, lowering the center of gravity. while the reg. evo had a steel one. ONLY the reg. evo and MR had the fat *** wings. The RS, was the slowest car because the car suffered from excessive oversteer throughout the turns. so that stupid wing does help.... oh and i think the test was conducted on a small track.
plus....those stupid canards on the front of ur car help too.....if the car has too much understeer, it'll provide more weight to the front, meaning more grip....less understeer/more over...

all those stupid little things help
Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

A wing like the Suzuki Escado has is always good.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM

ok, so what i was getting at is the same that ghetto said ... if you can't handle it, don't do it. it's fun to do it, but going that fast is almost dumb. yeah, most likely nothing will happen, but if something does, you could be in big trouble.... with or without a wing.

that's what tracks are for. they're designed for that.

there was an accident on the local streets from some people drag racing this weekend. i would have to guess they were doing around 70 in a 30 zone. there were a few blocks blocked off because the dumbass hit a tree. don't know if they died or not, but the section of road was blocked off for about 3 hours, so i would have to think they might have died. that's just dumb. there's a time and place for it.

if you want to go that fast on your highway or backroads, go for it, good luck. if you feel you need a wind to help you stay on the road, then get one. just try not to endanger yourself or others (duh)
Old 03-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info those who provided some.

As far as speed responsibility... I live in BFE if I kill myself, my bad! I'm more likely to hit a deer than anything else. And yeah, you don't need to tell me it would suck and such... and then I'd have a damn hoof/antler stuck through my chest, and the firemen would have to cut the deer's hoof/antler off and haul me away, if I'm lucky enough to survive it, and that's if they find me! I know all that... but honestly... I'm not worried, I've been driving for 11 years, and I've never wrecked anything. And, I think I could survive on Deer meat for several days.

The average speed late at night on I-5 between Fresno and LA... about 100-105... actually... at 100, I was being pushed from behind... I used to make that trip a lot, and that was a Galant, not a sports car. So people come on... 115 is unresonable? No... I think the speed limit should be around that across the goddam plains of nothingness for endless miles. And late model cars are more than capable... the drivers? Well I dunno, but hey... the autobahn... why not in the US?

Yeah, I do intend to try it again with no wind. I am installing Dupree collars right now... I hear that might fix the rear end slop.

If there are no actual numbers for the stock wing on a "ZENKI" for those of you who didn't notice... maybe Nissan did put it there for looks. I couldn't find any.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by djradam
do wings even help at that speed? i can maybe see 160/170+, but 115 is nothing...
The Evo and STI's wings start producing down force at 60-70mph so your only off by 100.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:22 PM

what kind of other car did you have...a fwd is diffrent than a rwd....but a wing isnt going to amazingly make you car grip like paste to paper. you have to take everything into factor like winds....bumps in the road and if thier is sand or dirt from winter....ect. i would hate for you to buy a wing and be dissapointed when your car still feels pretty much the same...but its your car so good luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Modboy
If there are no actual numbers for the stock wing on a "ZENKI" for those of you who didn't notice... maybe Nissan did put it there for looks. I couldn't find any. [/B]
DID YOU NOT READ MY POST????? just because there are no numbers up for the kouki wing duzn't mean that it duzn't work! u should go back and read it again...esp the part that says

[QUOTE][i]all those stupid little things help
you guys would probably think that the stupid spikes on the back of the EVO MR is stupid....but those spikes acually lowers the amount of drag produced behind the car. it also makes their big *** wing more effiecient.
anyways...im saying, that the stock wings do make a difference
all those stupid little things help
Read the post. THE KOUKI WING WOULD HELP. the wings hight is about half the hieght from trunk to top of the roof.... OUR cars aerodynamics spilt the wind into 2 when it reaches half way down rear windshield. that would mean that the hieght of the kouki wing was placed very well by the nissan engineers, b/c the that height has the wing placed just under the upper streamline of the car. SINCE the wing does not CUT through the streamline,but instead pushes up from under, this creates LESS drag. SO WHAT THIS MEANS is that the wing will be VERY EFFICIENT. creates alot of change to the wind w/o creating too much drag. THIS GOES FOR THE SKYLINE GTR's as well that includes the nurspec, v spec and v spec 2

im refering to the s14 kouki....
Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 AM

O F*CK me.....NOW I appoligize for reading the ur post wrong......mixed up the zenki and kouki.....

ok....the ZENKI wing....does NOT produce the same amount of downforce as the KOUKI. the reason for this is b/c the zenki wing unlike the kouki is placed on the lower streamline. in order for the lower streamline to make a difference, the lower one has to "push" up through the vacuum.
lemme start over......when the streamline splits in two, it'll create somewhat of a vacuum in between the two lines.....this i because there is less pressure between the two lines than the pressure in one of those lines.
fuq....if only i can draw this for u guys....SO much easier.
but the lowerone is going to be pussing on the vacuum ...the real "downforce" is going to be at the upper line....the upperline will make the biggest difference....well for our driving anyways(rfering to track)..... thats y JGTC cars do not have wings that are higher than the cars themselves...
WINGS DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE, THEY CAN MAKE THE CAR STICK LIKE PASTE theTOP FUEL drag cars have those big *** wings, since they're accelerating sooo fast, they need the 1000+lbs of downforce that those wings create. i dont think any car can hit 1/4 miles in under 5 secs. w/o having tires that stick like glue, in this case, superglue or epoxy....
F1. wings produce a sh*tload of downforce too....NOTHING can turn that fast unless they have some grip on their tires....that grip was provided by those big *** wings....F1 should be the best example of aerodynamics at its best.... LOOK at the enzo....or the difference between the f430 and the f430 stradale....i think thats how u spell it.....all aerodynamics

Last edited by ahnyoungboi; 03-15-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:39 PM

So ultimately what you're saying is if I'm going to get a stock wing, put the Kouki wing on my Zenki? I guess I thought they were the same. I did see a JDM OEM Silvia wing, for the S13, it was rounded and black, and it looked good. Exactly like the ones I remember seeing. Yes, draw us a picture, scan it, and post it... then bust out some analytical geometry, and work out all the physics... let's get some raw data... I suck at math.

Oh, and for those of you concerned about it, I do understand that handling is more important than aerodynamics. The problem is, I can't tell you, yes everything is tip-top because I haven't had a chance to check everything, but the previous owner did his own work and one of the selling points was the KYB suspension. Also, ultimately, I've got nothing to compare it to. This is my first 240, and the only 240 I've ever been in. Personally I like the way it handles, no problems around 100mph. Just the 15% increase that changes things.

Also for tires... Michelin X-One all season performance, rated to 118... so, not outside the limits, but a little close, and the reviews for these were good. I'm not getting anything else until I can afford some 17"s.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

i shaved my wing off i have gr-2's and tein s-techs and iv went 150 on kumo supra 712's 17"

im thinking it could be your wheels are off balence, bent rim, bad bushings im having a problem with me tension rods now steering is all wacky im waiting on new ones now

i think it has something to do with your wheel/tires
Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 AM

i was refering to the s14
not the s13
dont even know what the wings look like....all i see is just a deck spoiler....and theres a couple w/ that big *** deck spoiler that looks like a perfect place to sit your breakfast or dinner on

I think you should just find yourself some coilovers and pretty much forget about the wing....unless ur gonna go wiebody or sump..then get that crazy looking GT wing....

if your not satisfied w/ just springs and shocks...i suggest bushings....like energy suspension....i switched all my bushings out on my s14 and man..it made a world of difference....turn in was awesome....

Quick Reply: I think I need a wing.