General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Importing cars...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:22 AM

Question Importing cars...

I was wondering what would happen if i were to get caught driving a 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR in the United States. I am going to import on very soon, and want to know the consequences. If anyone knows anything it would help a lot.. peec.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:30 AM

well it depends, if you can pull of getting it insured(which means taking the vin off a 240 and having the title say a mod. 240) then as long as you dont get in an accedint or run into an officer that knows what your driving you might pull it off, if your just using it for a track car yor straight, but basically its illegal anyway you look at it. but hey the worst that could happen it gets impounded and crushed.....
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM

awesome... i think this is the beginning to a mighty fun adventure... thanks for the advice!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:00 PM

debadge, slap a large H on it hehe
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM

HA HA HA! they won't know what hit them with the "H" badge... LMAO!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:36 PM

just swap out the vin number for a s13 coupe and no one will ever know when your pulled over... buy a s13 part it out... keep the vin numbers and do it your self...
Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM

when u import it it wont clear costums cause theres no american version of it so u must register it with dot get a vin and blah blah blah and to insure u have to insure it under exotic cars ( same as ferraris and lambos so expect to pay a preety penny )
Old 02-14-2005, 03:36 PM

btw if it was only put it in a shipping crate and sailing it over here i belive most nissan lovers would have 1, also scense my parents live in europe i just go to england buy one and drive it home =P im not british.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

if it is imported for an off road use vehicle only they wont bother with the dot number and vin... but even trying to swap out the vin is a class 3 or class c feloney in any state... if you lok at your local sentencing codes you can figure out the general tem in PRISON for vin swapping... look at all the **** motorex had to jump through to get the skylines they imported to pass dot approval... customs was the easiest part of all of it... when you get busted driving a skyline with a popped vin and yo go to jail for it... run from the guys tryin to make you their gurl... then how much of an adventure will it be... is your *** worth it??? i would think not but you might be one of the invincable people who will never get caught...
Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Getting caught for swapping vins is a huge offense. If you're not going to buy it through motorex, it's best to keep it off the street.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:01 PM

But that's if i swap the vin... what if i just bring it in and not swap anything and keep it legit... well as legit as importing a skyline can be... hmmm...
Old 02-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Do you think this would apply to importing any car? Let's say i were to try to import an EVO III or a Silvia... would they hassle me like they would if i were getting a skyline?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:32 PM

we had a guy here in malibu do that... well he had family in japan and when he brought the car back he had to pay 15k to get it converted. but he has a r34 here. he bought the car for i think a total of 78k total.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:34 PM

there not hassling there doing there job. if you had the money to convert everything over than i say go for it.. if not get a 240 swap to a rb series and front on having a gst-t.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:23 PM

well u live in florida, u dont have as bad as of laws here in california...

when you import the cars u basically have several things..
1. import as a off road race car with permanent importation
2. import as off road race car with a temp importation
3. import as a company show car but with only temp importation
4. import the car through a licensed importer and send directly to a licensed legalization company (motorex, rbmotoring, japanese imports, etc)

remember to import it you have to do it through a certified importer that carries a license. if u do it with any freight or shipping company and u get caught..its a hefty jail time. this is necessary because most cars from japan go through california customs first which are the worst. also there is a law that the car must be fully cleaned so it doesnt bring anything from the other country. also when you go through a licensed importer u dont run into title and registration problems as well. GTRs are currently on the avaible list, but thanks to Hiro from Motorex, DOT is having extreme problem with the importation right now and i think there is a current hault due to the current skylines residing in the state that are half completed in legalization or not legalized yet. you can thank motorex for that problem.

they're closing all the loopholes people can think of when it comes to importing cars now, u cant swap vins to pass it off as another car because u need visual inspections (varies on state), some ppl have tried sending the car in pieces and reassembling it here lol iono if that still works.

there are a lot of companies out there that can legalize skylines. whoever tells u motorex is the only one is a crock of ****, if they are, then it would be a monopoly on this type of market which is not allowed. RB motoring is another company that can do it right now, but i think they r busy with the customers from motorex due to the shady stuff motorex has done lately. or u can do what a lot of rich americans do, pay the government off lol

hope this helps..just some stuff i learned in the past...i dunno if all my information is correct, but it should be close enough. do more research online and good luck.

oh yea to answer ur first question, if u got caught with an illegal skyline on the road, they crush it with no questions asked

Quick Reply: Importing cars...