General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Inspections?

Hi, I just came from Japan...over there basically it was twice a year a mechanic inspects your car for all sorts of things...if something doesnt pass, you fix it and go see him until you do. Once you pass, you go through a bunch of paperwork then you get a sticker on your windshield that lasts you another two years. This allows your car to be insured (called "shakken") It seems like over here things are a little different, but is this generally how it goes? Or am I completely off? I'd like to know about California specifically, since that's where I am. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

well im from baltimore MD we have to have a car inspected once when u buy it used. I personaly bought a sticker cause the people here will get u for anything. I have heard that cali is a *****. so states however dont have to have a car inspected at all.

its different everywhere
Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 PM

here in cali there are no inspections.

Your car must pass smog everytime you change owners, and every two years. Thats it.

Get it smogged.
Show proof of insurance.

Wham, bam, your car is registered and driveable for two years.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the reply...so what's this "visual inspection" everyone's saying that the SR, or any engine swap, won't pass?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Here we just go in, give them the title, get it registered and that's it.. I didn't even have to take my car to the dmv when I got it registered, and it was out of state... and for insurance, I just called and had them transfer it to this car, they didn't even look at it... It seems it would be very easy to pass an s15 as a s14 or even some skylines.. good stuff...population is like 80,000 around here.

infact, I got pulled over and he asked for everything, and walked away before I gave him my registration.. it's crazy. sometimes they don't even ask for insurance.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM

here in cali,
the visual is just someone looking in your engine bay during the smog process. they usually only notice bright chrome things, but there is a good chance he'll see an sr and that turbo.