General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

intake type difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:41 AM

Arrow intake type difference

what's the difference between short ram and cold air intake?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:42 AM

short ram generally have less restrictions due to them being shorter in length, but tend to suck in some of the hotter air as they are so close to your engine, the cold air intake extends the intake tube, usually somewhere outside or further away from your engine bay, allowing cooler air to get to the filter
Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Also, cold air systems position the air filter really low (usually behind the front bumper on one side) and if you end up in rainy or flood weather, you could kill your motor with hydrolock.

TIP: If you're looking on Ebay and you see the description "cold air intake" chances are they're using the term as a marketing ploy more than anything. Most of the generic so-called "cold air intakes" on Ebay are really short ram.

The only real (meaning longer piping, air filter behind the bumper) cold air intakes come from brand name companies like Injen and AEM
Old 12-28-2004, 06:01 AM

forgot to put about the hydrolock and CAI...thanks l2aine
Old 12-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13 240
forgot to put about the hydrolock and CAI...thanks l2aine
roger that.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:06 PM

yea my buddy had a the full length AEM cold air intake on his civic si. It was right under the body kit in the front. The car was lowered too. He hit a foot of water and sucked in damn near a gallon of water straight into his engine. Completey shot. Kinda funny.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by C-Walk
yea my buddy had a the full length AEM cold air intake on his civic si. It was right under the body kit in the front. The car was lowered too. He hit a foot of water and sucked in damn near a gallon of water straight into his engine. Completey shot. Kinda funny.
Yay - another Honda Civic off the road. Too bad there's still 238472983479283749 left running.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 PM

hahahahahaha... make that 238472983479283748. My cousins got totaled like 10 minutes ago.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 PM

^^hahahaha. Ya, my brother has a 1990 civic HB. He's been doin research on his car cause it doesnt say anywhere on it if its a DX or Si or what not. Anyways, he found out its a HF STD (the economy version) with 70hp and it has a 4speed manual in it. He told me this yesterday and i lmfao. STD? It runs like it has a damn STD or sumthin cause man it is slow!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:48 PM

I love the energy that is put into bringing down civic owners. Especially when they're probably not even worrying bout us. I pretty sure some of them actually look up to us. Being that we're different, rare and so dam good looking. But anyway there are some(eh very few) civics that kick some 240 A**es and Vice versa. BTW I refuse to get beat by a Civic (just not a good look)
Old 12-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Chiefgmsr
I love the energy that is put into bringing down civic owners. Especially when they're probably not even worrying bout us. I pretty sure some of them actually look up to us. Being that we're different, rare and so dam good looking. But anyway there are some(eh very few) civics that kick some 240 A**es and Vice versa. BTW I refuse to get beat by a Civic (just not a good look)
No energy expended bro. And yeah they're not worrying about us - a lot of them they try to become us by selling their HIN car for a 240 so they can do the S15 conversion SR swap stagger wheel "look I'm a drifter now" stuff

On the other hand, I know a lot of Hondas that can kick my cars ***. No ebergy expended there either - they rev on me at a light, I laugh and drive normal.

Who am I, Vin Deisel?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 PM

hahaha i do that too... makes them even more mad than beating them. then after a few more red lights i'll give em what they want. then they get super pist cause they thought i was slow.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
No energy expended bro. And yeah they're not worrying about us - a lot of them they try to become us by selling their HIN car for a 240 so they can do the S15 conversion SR swap stagger wheel "look I'm a drifter now" stuff

On the other hand, I know a lot of Hondas that can kick my cars ***. No ebergy expended there either - they rev on me at a light, I laugh and drive normal.

Who am I, Vin Deisel?

Yea I got u. My mech races honda's and u have to see this guys wall. Full of plaques from SCCA. he's mad cool and just happens to love civics. I used to put them down until I saw what he can to them. I just love all cars and nuf respect to those who do it right.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:07 PM

and just another though... if you do meet that civic that can kick your *** just ask him to do a downhill mountain run with you. hehe. or a drift event.

i do respect the honda people out there who do things right. i'll use I2aine's vocab and say that the flashy people out there who "fake the funk" and put huge wings and yadda yadda yadda and think they can drive are a joke. hell i got my *** kicked but some suped up camry. never knew till i heard the blow off valves whistle when he blew past me. so hey if they can do it right then good for them. if not... f-uck em.

sorry if that didnt make much sence i'm kinda tired.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by C-Walk
and just another though... if you do meet that civic that can kick your *** just ask him to do a downhill mountain run with you. hehe. or a drift event.

i do respect the honda people out there who do things right. i'll use I2aine's vocab and say that the flashy people out there who "fake the funk" and put huge wings and yadda yadda yadda and think they can drive are a joke. hell i got my *** kicked but some suped up camry. never knew till i heard the blow off valves whistle when he blew past me. so hey if they can do it right then good for them. if not... f-uck em.

sorry if that didnt make much sence i'm kinda tired.
Donut contest. That just ends it right there. [DISCLAIMER: holding onto your ebrake while spining in an FWD isn't a donut, it's called "dragging your ***" ]

I respect those who deserve respect.

skill > parts

Quick Reply: intake type difference