General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Just To Let You Guy's Know

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 02:00 AM

Just To Let You Guy's Know

I highly respect many people in the nissan community. Nissan to me has always made great vehicles with the potential of HP and torque. I no longer feel that people respect the KA due to it's U.S manufacturing. If refind the KA can be the best investmant anyone could afford. Please to all tuners, understand that bolt on's are only the half of it.
Machining the crank and adding new internalls to the head are vitally important.
It isn't about being cheap, no one ever said "erformance was cheap". Performance is a gift given, if you can afford it.
Don't disrespect a man that loves the KA build up. I see something in the KA that most newbie tuners dont see.
I am sticking to it!
For those of you happy with the aluminum block I will see you on the track.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Dude Speed wise the KA can kick the SR's ***. with some work though. Lets say you have two 240's one with KA and one with an SR both same mileage. And you invest 10,000 dollars into each engine which will win? KA. I like both engines but since I actually plan on using my car for drifting I wanna swap the KA for an SR but I also want to get another 240 just for dailing driving.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:15 PM

alright i respect your opinion... but like thebull said i'm swapping my ka for the sr for drifting reasons. But not ganna lie i do love the tourqe of the ka. As far as seeing me on the track well you wont cause haha i dont want to build my car for pullin a wholeshot down the 1/4 mile strip. Drifting is something i'm new too and something i'll stick to. So if you wanna meet me on a drift course then i'd say lets go.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:47 PM

If you are a member of the SCCA, I will see ya guy's around in Feb.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

well the whole SR thing got blown out of proportion because of the whole drift thing. Don't get me wrong - both engines are built pretty good; Sure, each has their own specific things that need to be addressed, but think about it - there is no perfect engine.

Not to bring up the enemy, but look at Honda motors. I've seen some really powerful motors from the H/A camp, but if you went to the beginning their "standard" engines have a bunch of crap that has to be upgraded for longetivity or reinforced for strength just to handle power upgrades. Block guard anyone?

BTW not to knock C-Walk and Bull, but you don't need an SR to drift. You don't even need a KA-T. I know people who get it sideways with a bone stock SINGLE KA24E.

Skill > parts
Old 12-25-2004, 06:40 PM

yea i can undestand that but me with my small knowledge and newcommer abilities for drifting i will take all the help i can get... besides i need a new engine in a few months because i got 140k on her now and put about 6,000 on her per month. So summertime will come and the sr is my choice because no one else around her has it. No one around here has a 240. Even though it is a verry common swap, around her its king **** of turd town cause everyone else has a civic hatch.

Just my opinion... not like it matters much but it makes me happy.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:12 PM

C-Walk if people in your town have an sr20. Does that mean you have to get an SR20? Besides your engine would be a prime candidate for an engine overhaul/rebuild.
When you do a rebuild you can get the job done right. Forged internals (rods and Turbo bearings), and a machined "counterweighed" crank that will allow the engine to high rev and give you more HP. A rebuild will cost you about $1500.00. It is worth it, especially when you can get the KA to REV to 8500RPM. You can even get a cheap turbo with "no intercooler" and it would pack alot of power, "no boosting required", especially with the KA24de. "There is no replacement for displacement".
Old 12-25-2004, 08:10 PM

haha i like you... i wasnt saying people have the sr20 in my town i was saying no one does so the whole "it's too common" argument wasnt an issue with me. You do put out a good argument and i do love the KA. Just lookin for somethin different. And in fact i was thinking about rebuilding the old KA from the bottom up after its out of my 240. Take me a while but i dont know all that much to do a rebuild right now and they say everythings a hell of a lot easier out of the engine bay. I'm not crackin on you for lovin the KA and i'm sure as hell not saying that the SR is far superior cause they both are great engines. If i had the custom fabrication teniques i'd throw a small block chevy in there just to **** everyone off. Cause it's kinda funny. My buddy has a RX-7 with a small block in it and damn that thing goes.

Besides i'd be runnin the SR stock and then hopefully throw my money into a new suspension down the line.

and no matter what i say i know you'll come back with something to try to guide me along the ways of the KA. Thats why i like you, you're consistant.

Last edited by C-Walk; 12-25-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:59 PM

Sorry my bad, I read a few words wrong in your post. Wasn't tryin' to argue. I was just tryin to let people know what needs to be done to the KA in order to achieve the proper performance. Yes the SR is a good engine, but it scares me to find out that people are trying to achieve outrageous numbers in HP with an aluminum block. The more HP the more heat is produced, that is bad for aluminum, and it will expand the faster you rev the engine or by achieving more HP with mods.
How long do people really think an SR will last under those stressful conditions? I have a KA because the block is extremely reliable. Even though, it is much heavier.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-25-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:29 PM

Not trying to sway you with an engine that you are not happy with. Obviously you now what you have underneath the hood. I would just expect tuners wether they just do bolt on's, or do internal work that they understand where the performance is, and what type of performance can be obtained. Shure I would love an SR20DET, but the point is here in cali it does not pass smog excemption. If I have a KA I can modify the internall's get more HP, and still be smog excempt. A mechanic would not even know.
If you wan't to give up less displacement for an added turbo and an aluminum block you are entitled to do so.
What I don't get is that the knowledge of how to modify the KA has been around for over 14years, and people that "claim" they are tuners would rather take the easy method of a engine with a turbo. To me it doesn't make any sense, or justify any "real tuning". Especially since the combustion engine has been made for the last century and people that claim they are tuners "don't even comprehend the basics of engineering", and the basics of internal machining. To me a tuner stands out as being original"designing his own "frankenengine", not one that follows a trend because it is easy.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:50 AM

i can feel some serious love in this thread
Old 12-26-2004, 09:34 AM

yes thats why i dont consider myself a "real tuner" and more of a quick fix guy thats looking to have a little fun with his daily driver. And yes you do have a point with the smog situation in cali. and i'm glad you got your way around it with building up your KA. And i do understand the plus side of the KA with being a iron block and being able to take more hp/torque. But i'll say it again i'm the quick fix... slap the sr in cause its easy and drive it stock cause it's a little better than my stock KA... kinda guy. But thank you again for your opinion. It only furthers peoples search for the true real engine for a 240, it's some good stuff and something to consider if your a real tuner out there.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ka Power!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Great this just became a sort of "diplomatic" version of the KA vs. SR debate, and I don't think that was even the point of this thread in the beginning.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:33 PM

Nope, the point is how the KA has been played as a crap engine since it's birth in the 240sx. Sure the e suffered problems, but the de is noted for having a well made performance head and still doesn't get any credit. I think tuners downplay the KA, because a cheap turbo is all any tuner really want's with a 4banger.
I think it is a shame because people misrepresent the mechanics of the engine itself and would rather have a cheaper alternative, like I said before performance isn't cheap.

Quick Reply: Just To Let You Guy's Know