General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

just a q

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 PM

just a q

hey all, i was just curious. is it possible to turbo the ka, while keeping the emission related parts. like the egr. where i live it is mandatory to pass emission. i have no way of registering my car elsewhere that doesn't do emission so that option is not available. i also do not know of anyone that i can pay to pass me. so im only left to keeping my emission related components. i really really really REALLY want to go boost. but i want to drive my car every day and kill some evos. lol. especially the ones that are stock and the drivers think that there all fast and furious and stuff. i live in dumfries va right now but next week im moving to stafford va. and over there they too do emission.

yes... ive been thinking of buying another motor and boost that and put it in. and swap everything back in once emission time comes. but idk. seems like alot. even tho its every two years.

ive also read that they have mobile emission test stations that monitor your cars exhaust as you drive by? and if its not valid it will take a pic of your license plate. idk how that can be accurate if its looking through the air. wouldnt it also see wats in the air?

thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

What is your emissions like out there? Where I live you just have to pass the sniffer, gas cap pressure test, and the presence of a catalytic converter. and you're out the door. A stock SR will pass the sniffer, they only fail in California because the SR has no EGR and it fails visual inspection. Before you do anything find out if your car has to pass a visual inspection. An EGR can be fabbed up to work on a turbo KA.

P.S. I can't see that mobile emissions thing being real.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 PM

well. you have to pass the sniffer. and the gas cap thing as well. so basically the same as yours. i for got the limits tho on the 3 gasses that it measures. since the sr can pass with no egr. do you think a kat will pass with no egr. thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to say yes, but somebody who is positive is going to have to back me up. You need to have a 3 way catalytic converter though. It filters the Nitrogen as well as the hydrocarbons and CO2. The EGR is only for Oxides of Nitrogen. If you want to go SR you will pass emissions. Turbo KA will probably pass too.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

If you live in CA, the answer is flat out no. Once they see a huge modification under the hood (i.e. the turbo) you automatically fail visual regardless if you pass or not. It all depends on where you live. For guys like me, in CA, its a no.

And technically under federal law, the SR is suppose to be illegal due to the fact that it was not sold in a car here in the US. But it will pass smog, even CA with flying colors.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

^
i second that.
in some states or counties even an aftermarket cone filter is enough for you not to pass. most aftermarket filters are not intended for road use therefor they are an illegal modification and you'll fail the visual.

once you've failed that everything else is irrelevant.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

if you have a propperly working egr system and cat i don't see why you can't pass the sniffer, even with it turbocharged. you could probably even get away with a removed egr system.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

ive never done emissions do they test it while idle? i heard they are bringing back emissions to florida so ya im F***ed. if im lucky the dealer im working at will do emissions so i can pass my self LOL!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

we have emissions testing in NC too, but some places dont use the sniffer only obd2 scanners... which gets me off the hook
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Where I live (Culpeper, VA), you only have to have something that looks like a cat (aka sheetmetal over pipe), they dont even have a sniffer or gas cap test. It is rather sweet may I say.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Here in CA, anything you can think of that would be done on a smog is done. Gas cap vacuum, sniffer at idle and under load, visual, it takes the guy 30 minutes to just do the visual. Imagine how long Im there... and I have to do this on Friday...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 PM

That really sucks. Move out here, houses are cheap and plenty of back roads.
And trees, and deers, but hey, life cant be perfect.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Your right, life is not perfect at all. We can just make the best of things. Which is why after this smog session, I will fork out big money for each time I have to smog to pass my KA-T.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM

Haha, well with my budget I can barely afford parts so I'll just stick around here for a while.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

hmm whats with all of these places doing emisons? for a while i thought it was just places like Ca and AZ. now i hear about NC. then i just found out southern LA does emmisons as well. i hope they dont catch up to where i live.

Quick Reply: just a q