General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

KA Vs. SR

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 10:01 PM

KA Vs. SR

I recently got a 95 240SX SE and I would like to drop in the SR20DET motor. But I heard from a buddy of mine that the KA has more Torque than the SR and that I should invest my money into building my current motor up. What do you all think?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:03 PM

this is the dumbest thread ever.

it will turn into a flamewar, and you will have gleaned nothing.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah buddies always say the dumbest $hit. The SR20DET has more horsepower and torque. It also has a little more potential. It all just depends on what you like...
Old 04-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

*cough* RB25 *cough*
Old 04-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
*cough* RB25 *cough*
Old 04-07-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Yeah buddies always say the dumbest $hit.
buddies?
Old 04-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Re: KA Vs. SR

Originally posted by DriftS14
But I heard from a buddy of mine that the KA has more Torque than the SR and that I should invest my money into building my current motor up.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:25 PM

ka does have more hp and torqe than the sr20de, but sr20de*t, no no my friend. the det has about 60 or more horses. your friend just left out the det part tryin to fool you. thats why i never listen to my friends

the other day my friend was so determined to tear down his head cuz he heard it knockin. i told there was no point cuz i didnt hear the knock and that he had a large project on his hands. he looked at me and said is my car sohc or dohc. and he was expecting to tear apart his head by himself while i was at school.

matt

Last edited by mcguiver7; 04-07-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Regulate

There are some very powerful turboed KA's out there. You should read up on both sides before making a decision. I'd give you some links to hot KA turbo cars but I'm to lazy. Do a search online.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 PM

i was just commenting on how his friend didnt explain the subject to him that well. but i will do the search i dont know that much about the ka and i would like to, figured you guys could enlighten me since this is a 240 forum.

matt
Old 04-08-2003, 12:40 PM

the turboed KA has more Torque than a Turboed SR. but, the SR20DET has higher potentials without a buildup. you have to build up the KA to do what the SR can do. but it all depends what route yu wanna go. a full build up KA24DET can run you roughly $7000 or more, and you will be at about 375-400hp at the wheels. a SR20DET can run about $5000 just for a stock install with all the gauges, controllers, wiring, and the Front Mount IC. and at this point you may be around 250-300WHP. with a few minor upgrades such as turbo and IC, you may be at the same 400HP as the KA, without modding the internals to a full build up. SR has more potential by far. But the KA is by far not weak.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Sup everyone... hehe my first time posting on these forums...

My opinion... since I had the same question before, I'd recommend the SR20DET. I went thru a lot of research and had numerous disscussions w/ my boss from Ab-Flug about this, it's a better investment to go with the SR20DET since:

1. its already turbo preped.
2. it yeilds a higher potential over the KA (N/A or turboed)
3. with the amount of money u will put into turboing ur KA, u can do a full SR swap.

thats some things I can think of rite now, but also, u have to be precise on all the mods on a KA turbo. There was one guy in Florida who went thru 3 or 4 KA blocks before he got the KA24DET to actually work fine. And plus turbo parts are expensive to buy for KA. And as to the RB25DET, the motor itself is heavy for a silvia body, having all the power from the RB actually evens it out when u add in the weight ratio not to mention needing a custom drive shaft, rear differential and drive axels. (yes I was thinking about an RB25DET also... 1800 bux full engine swap here where I live and the SR is goin for bout 1500)

The best advice I can give u is to go with the SR20DET (swap in a T3/T4 hybrid turbo ) And if u need hookup on SR20DET or SR parts, lemme know...
Old 04-15-2003, 06:28 PM

here's my take.
if you go kat route, you already have at least a $2500
advantage ie: you dont have to buy the sr20det and
find someone to put it in
and then all you have is a bone stock sr20det!!
for the $2500 you have yourself enough funds for
a custom ka24det project that will net you
the same if not more power at the same boost
levels as an sr!!
do your homework and dont just jump on the
"in thing" bandwagon!!
oh yea- TORQUE RULES!!!
Attached Thumbnails KA Vs. SR-dscn0548-custom-custom-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by cdigity; 04-15-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Let's leave Chris May out of this. The motors went boom because he was his motor's worst enemy. If I remember correctly, one of the motors went bye-bye because he cranked the boost to really uncalled-for levels beyond the realm of the fuel / intercooling. Another attempt went straight from the install to the dyno shop. No break-in. I think the thing had less than 200 miles on it when it was hammered on the turbo where it died.

There are others who have seen rwhp numbers of over 300hp on stock KA internals.

As far as ultimate limits go, I would bet you can do more with the the KA. The KA's bottom end is just as stout as the SR's and it doesn't have the weak valvetrain that limits the SR.

Both are great motors. If you go the SR route, there are plenty of parts and formulas that will allow you to get up in the hp range without any custom fabrication. If you go with the KA, you will have to find a lot of the parts by yourself and will likely have a quirky, custom one-off setup when through.

In the end, there really is no replacement for displacement, and the KA has a 20% advantage there. This means you can get the same hp numbers lower in the rev range on less boost. But since you're on your own, it may cost you more to get the hp out of the KA although it is larger.

-Justin

Originally posted by NiSmO Knight
Sup everyone... hehe my first time posting on these forums...

My opinion... since I had the same question before, I'd recommend the SR20DET. I went thru a lot of research and had numerous disscussions w/ my boss from Ab-Flug about this, it's a better investment to go with the SR20DET since:

1. its already turbo preped.
2. it yeilds a higher potential over the KA (N/A or turboed)
3. with the amount of money u will put into turboing ur KA, u can do a full SR swap.

thats some things I can think of rite now, but also, u have to be precise on all the mods on a KA turbo. There was one guy in Florida who went thru 3 or 4 KA blocks before he got the KA24DET to actually work fine. And plus turbo parts are expensive to buy for KA. And as to the RB25DET, the motor itself is heavy for a silvia body, having all the power from the RB actually evens it out when u add in the weight ratio not to mention needing a custom drive shaft, rear differential and drive axels. (yes I was thinking about an RB25DET also... 1800 bux full engine swap here where I live and the SR is goin for bout 1500)

The best advice I can give u is to go with the SR20DET (swap in a T3/T4 hybrid turbo ) And if u need hookup on SR20DET or SR parts, lemme know...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Aahh... but then if you look at it more, the turbo kit for a KA runs about 2Gs... and on top of that ur still using stock KA internals (besides the new turbo head gasket) which do not support no more than 14 PSI I believe. And I know the SR can handle more PSI than that on its own stock internals. want more PSI on the SR? jus throw in about $500 more bux and bam... more power and torque.... want more? get an R33 Skyline front IC... Wut more can u ask for after that? hehe

And then lets look at redline, KA, on a base turbo upgrade is at 6000 PRM (unless you start swapping out internals which can run u about at least another 2Gs).... where as the SR is at 8000 RPM. RPM alone, the SR out performs the KAT

Dun get me wrong, I do respect the KAT, its jus that with all the $ u put into it... u can have an SR which does have more potential to build from. When I first got my S14, I did think about doing the KAT... but then parts for the KAT alone cost way more than droppin an SR inside and tweakin it out to 350 RWHP (and 350 RWHP is more than wut I need )

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 04-15-2003 at 08:37 PM.