General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

KA24 Crank Pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 PM

KA24 Crank Pulley removal

KA24DE, how the hell do I break the crankshaft pulley free so I can change the front seal?! I notice its a two peice pulley, any help here would be nice...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Oh come the hell on. 13 views and NO replies. Why would someone even open the thread if they didn't know. I need some help here. The FSM SUCKS for this, it just shows the front cover drawing laying around.

I need to know how to get this pulley OFF. If its a 2 peice pulley.

And is there a better repair manual for these cars than the FSM? I have only found a handfull of helpful things in there...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Jacking your thread, but do you know a John Makar where you live? He's a friend of a long time ago. If you do know him tell him Preston says hi and to hit me up. This is just off my head but isn't there a bolt on the front of it? You may need a huge *** breaker bar to break it free but I think you just undo that bolt.

Ps never removed or looked at crank on 240 just going by what it usually is to remove.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Preston
Jacking your thread, but do you know a John Makar where you live? He's a friend of a long time ago. If you do know him tell him Preston says hi and to hit me up. This is just off my head but isn't there a bolt on the front of it? You may need a huge *** breaker bar to break it free but I think you just undo that bolt.

Ps never removed or looked at crank on 240 just going by what it usually is to remove.
Paducah is the third largest city in Kentucky, with close to 50,000 people. Unless he is in his mid-20's I proably won't know him.

Yes, there is a 1 1/16" nut. Everytime I put any pressure on the nut, the crank turns. When the car is in gear, the car moves accordingly. I can't get my electric impact into the area due to the radiator and a/c condenser. I will have air going at it tomorrow, but I also need to know if the damper is part of the assembly and I need a puller to get the rest of the pulley assembly off. 90% of my tools are an hour away at my girlfriends house (where I will be moving to shortly), and I'm working with limited stuff here. I have to have the car fixed so I can get it to the new house and out of this driveway.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I just got this from the Chilton's manual.

Ps you WILL need a puller

Remove the outside retaining bolts if so equipped. Remove the center pulley to damper bolt. Use the puller to pull the pulley off the crankshaft.

I can try to get you a picture tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:09 PM

So the front two pullies come off leaving the 3rd on with the damper...
Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 AM

the crank pulley is one big pulley in which utilizes two belts. Not two. The other pulleys are for idle, air conditioning, etc.

And i have no idea what you mean by "leaving the 3rd on with the damper".
Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

it is easier to thake the 2 pullys apart when you removing them... at least i have found that to be true...

the second thing is without an impact it is almost impossible to remove the pully... pull the radiator out of the car and unfasten the condensor and push it forward... you should have enough room for the impact...

the damper is part of the back pullys... and a pully puller will be a great help once you have the bolt off...
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by wikd240
it is easier to thake the 2 pullys apart when you removing them... at least i have found that to be true...

the second thing is without an impact it is almost impossible to remove the pully... pull the radiator out of the car and unfasten the condensor and push it forward... you should have enough room for the impact...

the damper is part of the back pullys... and a pully puller will be a great help once you have the bolt off...
The Damper is part of the front pulley. I have the front pulley off. That wasn't an issue. I have the a/c belt off, no issue. getting the back double pulley off is causing problems. Neighbors compressor is only 2.0@90psi. Not enough for an impact.

Without taking out the radiator, I have 9" of clearance from the snout of the nut to the radiator. Plenty of room for an impact + socket. I have a puller, thats not an issue either. It's just breaking the nut free.

How strong are the front supports (black bars that run under the bumper and frame rails). I can always put a breaker bar against that and bump start the engine, that should cause enough torque to break the nut free... But on the other hand I don't know how strong those bars are.

I need a way to get this nut off. It is the only thing holding me back from finishing this job. And I need to get this car moving soon.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

i would suggest against bump starting the motor... the bars are not strong enough...

most impacts will run at 90 psi... it should be enough to bust the nut loose...i have a little campbel hausfield 2 hp compressor that pulled mine and a few others off with no problem... and that is with a leaking air hose...

without air i dont know how you will remove it... there is also another option... go to the auto parts store and see if they sell an electric impact gun... there is one at oreillys that has 250 ft.lbs of torque... it will do the job as well...
Old 09-14-2005, 05:02 PM

I've got an electric Impact. Problem is... its just waaaaaay too long. Its literly about 2 inches too long with the radiator out. I would just push the a/c condenser back, but doing this would bend the lines, and I'm not going to purge the a/c system. The neighbor out here as an old CH compresser, but its way too weak and barely holds 60psi, not enough for even a burp with an impact.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:52 PM

If you can't get an impact gun on it, then you'll need a chain wrench and breaker bar. Snap on makes great ones.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by TWong1200
If you can't get an impact gun on it, then you'll need a chain wrench and breaker bar. Snap on makes great ones.
Damn, thats what I've been looking for. I havn't seen one in a LONG time though. Never have used one on a puelly, I'm just worried that it would damage the ribs on the pulley.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Purple240
I'm just worried that it would damage the ribs on the pulley.
Don't worry about that. Just cut an old belt to protect it. Works like a charm!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Ok... got that pesky bolt out. Couldn't use a harmonic remover, so I had to use the trusty ole Tri-Claw puller. Got that pulley off no problem! Have my new seal installed, Hooray!!

The bad... I was inspecting my pulley before reinstalling it. These things sure are weak aren't they? I have 3 pull spots where the claws were attached. It seems as it has cracked the lip a lil bit on each spot and bent them inward.

So, you guys know these cars better than I... Is the rear double pulley balanced? Would it be safe to just tap the peice back into position and reinstall it? Or should I just look for a new or used undamaged pulley and install that.

Getting pics of the pulley here in a few min...

Last edited by Purple240; 09-20-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: KA24 Crank Pulley removal