General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

KA24 Crank Pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

hey Purple240, you did this to fix the leak in your front cover, right? Can you do a small write-up of how you did this when you get the chance? (like what you took out using what tools to get the front cover off~ and what fluids u may have drained) I'm really interested because I have the same leak in my car. Also do you have a pic of what a harmonic remover looks like and where I could get one? I google'd it but didn't come up with anything and I've never seen one...
Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM

I didn't do the front cover, I just did the crank seal.

But the crank seal was quite simple actually.

First thing to do was to unhook the elecronics to the MAF and remove all of your intake tubing. Next thing to do, is to remove your fan assembly. It's 4 small bolts holding the fan to the water pump. they can be a real pain in the butt due to how close everything is, but with a couple good open box wrenches, this is pretty easy to do. Getting the fan off of the water pump may take a little finesse, as it's not so much "pressed" on the pump, but its on a shaft that may take some prying to get off with a screwdriver and a hammer. Once you have your fan out of the way, remove your fan shroud. You'll have to take your vaccum lines out of the way (I just moved mine over the top of the shroud and close to the engine). Once your shroud is off, drain your radiator, remove your hoses from the block, and then your radiator hold downs. Pull the radiator straight up and out.

All that will give you total access all 3 of your belts. Start with the waterpump belt. You take off your waterpump belt by moving your powersteering pump toward the engine. Loosen the outer bolt, and then release the tension on the p/s pump push it towards the engine and the belt should be loose and free. Next belt is your alternator belt, it is the same process as the powersteering pump, just on the opposite side of the engine. Then your final A/C belt. It can be somewhat of a bugger because of an oil leak. There is a seperate tensioner pulley that you will see between the a/c compresser and the crank pulley. Loosen the bolt on the outside of the tensioner, but don't take it out. Now the tension bolt for the tensioner is UNDER the pulley. You can get to it w/o jacking up the car (I did), you just have to feel around for the bolt, put the socket on and loosen it up. It might be stuck tight due to oil build up, so you might have to take something and smack the bolt under the car. This will loosen up the pulley, and when the pulley comes up high enough (the pulley moves verticle (up is loose down is tight)), your belt will slide off of the a/c compresser, then just maneuver it around the timing point at the crank pulley and take it off.

Now for the crank pulley. An impact gun would be the best if you have it handy. Personally, I didn't have one so I had to use a chain wrench. I affixed the chain wrench to the pulley tight and slid it around till it rested on my sway bar. I then used a 1/2" ratchet 3" extension and a 1 1/16" socket (thats the size of the crank bolt), and a 2' pipe on the end of the ratchet. Applied enough pressure slowly and it broke free easily.

Pulley removal. I unscrewed the crank bolt about half way. I affixed the 3 claw pulley remover to the pulley, and just started ratcheting away. The pulley slowly pulled away from the crankshaft. The puller I used is called a "Jaw Puller". If you do a search for one, you can find many examples of them. 2 Jaw, 3 Jaw, and 4 Jaw pullers.

This is just like the one that I used. For the crank seal, I just simply used a flathead screwdriver and pried it out (from the inside out). I lubed up the new seal with plenty of oil and tapped it in with a seal seat.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if I should re-use this pully since my jaw puller marred it up. Personally, if I have to do this again on another engine, I'll use a better puller.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Purple240

Now, I'm just waiting to see if I should re-use this pully since my jaw puller marred it up. Personally, if I have to do this again on another engine, I'll use a better puller.
It's dinged up and could cause a lot of vibration to the belts, it could also make the belts shroud.
You would probably be better off just ordering a new OEM, or get a $60 aluminum pulley off of ebay.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
It's dinged up and could cause a lot of vibration to the belts, it could also make the belts shroud.
You would probably be better off just ordering a new OEM, or get a $60 aluminum pulley off of ebay.
Well, I'm trying to get a hold of the previous owner. I know he has some things for th car that I still need to pick up from his house. KA24DE, Auto Trans, A door panel, and some odds and ends stuff that I proably don't even want. And I SWEAR I thought I heard him say he had a underdrive pulley the other day at the bar. I was a lil more interested in picking up a co-workers daughter that he knew over talking about the car though!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:18 PM

I wouldn't recommend the puller you used simply because of what happened to your pulley. I use the following as it screws into the threaded holes on the pulley and pulls on it from there causing zero damage.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by TWong1200
I wouldn't recommend the puller you used simply because of what happened to your pulley. I use the following as it screws into the threaded holes on the pulley and pulls on it from there causing zero damage.

I agree totally. But, I also figured the pulley was made of something a little bit stronger than pot metal.

Plus, every puller I have I couldn't find the bolts the right size as those tiny little holes. I went out and even looked at several rentas and none of the rentals even had bolts that small. It was starting to get dark outside and I just wanted to get it done.

Sometimes being impaitent isn't always the best thing. Granted if the car was at my shop, I wouldn't have had a problem with just leaving it till I could find the right tools...
Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

oh geez, ok thanks A LOT man.

Originally posted by TWong1200

oh, and what is this puller called and where could I find one? Thanks...

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 09-21-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
oh geez, ok thanks A LOT man.

oh, and what is this puller called and where could I find one? Thanks...
I just go into NAPA, you can call it a crank pulley remover and they will know what you are talking about.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
I just go into NAPA, you can call it a crank pulley remover and they will know what you are talking about.
The only problem is, with the conventional crank pulley remover, the bolts are too big and you'd have to find some that are really small. The size of the 6 bolts the hold the front pulley on. And when you find them that small, they more than likely won't work with the pulley.

Honestly, If -*I*- have to do it again, I'll make a jig. just take a peice of small 1/4" scrap steel, cut it in a circle, and then cut and tap a center hole for the pulling rod. Then drill and tap 3 holes to grab the inner pulley.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM

So how did you end up getting it off?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by breakindrifts
So how did you end up getting it off?
My girlfriend...

Oh wait, you mean the pulley. I used the 3 arm Jaw-Puller.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Was the crank left hand or right hand thread? I know the post is really old, but ineed to get my crank off, and dont know which way the threads go.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Regular right hand...gotta use a breaker bar or impact wrench cause if you just turn it it will move the whole crank.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 AM

What you can do also is put the car in 5 gear and have someone on the brakes inside the car. Combined with a breaker bar, you should be able to get it out without a problem.