General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Ka24det vs. sr20det

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:28 AM

Post Ka24det vs. sr20det

Hey, why is sr20det more popular than ka24det? Is it because a front clip can be bought cheaper? Is it because sr20 is capable of more? The japanese s15 has 250hp. What was so special about that model? It was toned down in some places. Sometimes i hate freaking people around here in utah. They don't like 240's cuz they're nissan. But after the read about it they love it.....
Old 09-30-2003, 03:23 AM

WHOA if your gonna talk about the KA vs SR thing you might wanna go to the Motor section cause your about to get flamed by like 30 people. I remember like 3 years ago on the forums that was the biggest topic cause SR's were getting huge then. But for your S15 question. Its a good motor cause its got alot of upgrades on it, bigger injectors, better turbo, 6 speed tranny and alot of times lower miles. The motor is way over priced though, as of now its not worth it. The s14 is a better deal, with the money you save you can turn around and produce more hp. Same with the S13 SR.

Robbie
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

SR is is JDM coolness, cause Super Street says it's cool. Otherwise I think it's mostly old S13 KA's are very high milage by now so a SR would be cheaper performance. In my case though I basically bought a SR cause it's lighter.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

by 3 lbs
Old 09-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Most people like the idea of tossing their high mileage KA and getting a sr swap with lower miles and it's pretty cheap. With regards to which is better KA24DET or sr20det, then you'll never get an answer. In my opinion the KA24DE is, however everyone can argue otherwise.

DrNoVaScotia
Old 09-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

This arguement can go on forever, Evryone has there own preferance.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
This arguement can go on forever, Evryone has there own preferance.
exactly. apples and oranges, whatever. IMO, what makes one motor better than another is whether i just plain like it better. motor a is cheaper, motor b has more parts available, motor c has stronger internals, motor d has higher stock power, motor e is MaD jDM tYTe, y0, motor f is smog legal, yadda yadda yadda... ***k it, go w/what pleases u. it's ur loot, and ain't nobody else gonna spend it for u (unless u wanna donate to my broke *** cause? )...
Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
exactly. apples and oranges, whatever. IMO, what makes one motor better than another is whether i just plain like it better. motor a is cheaper, motor b has more parts available, motor c has stronger internals, motor d has higher stock power, motor e is MaD jDM tYTe, y0, motor f is smog legal, yadda yadda yadda... ***k it, go w/what pleases u. it's ur loot, and ain't nobody else gonna spend it for u (unless u wanna donate to my broke *** cause? )...
Well said
Old 09-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
by 3 lbs
Nah, SCC is wrong. 3 lbs. doesn't make my front end noticably higher. Here's a quote from Jeff at Heavy Throttle pulled from Freshalloy.."When more than a dozen cars we have swapped with 80k to 215k on them pop up 2 full inches after the swap, there must be some significant weight difference that isn't explained by sagging springs (and aftermarket Eibach's do the same thing). I don't know why, but until someone accurately weighs things I will still stand by my estimate of 100-150 lbs." I personally think it's definately under 100lb difference, but no way in hell is it anywhere close to 3 lbs.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

jes stick wid a KA.. drop in a turbo.. BAM!! mad twerk.. heh.. so ive herd.. na mean kid?!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:38 PM

re:

K, you guys say it's my pref. I've got a 96, the early version, oh yeah, what's the freaking difference between early 96 and late 96 models? I think it's only the headlights. I know that 97a models had slimmer headlights......uh yeah anyways. About my preference. Would it be cheaper to go with ka24det? What would be the out come if you were to upgrade both the engines? I assume that the sr20det will be capable of more. Sometimes i get sick of that freaking car. The check engine light never goes off. It says it's got a freaking evaporative fuel system malfunction. I changed the gas cap twice. I pulled out the battery a few times and it still stays on...but it's all good. I still love my car, lol.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 AM

im gonna keep this short cause im lazy and i've said it before.

the S15 is not a good motor in the least. it's overpriced, has crappy head flow, the VVT is nearly useless and doesnt even come close to comparing to V-tec as it just variable cam timing and not variable clearances.
the 6 speed is gay as hell.

on the other hand the red top or the s13 black top for that matter has a head that flows about as well as a ported S15. and is only $1800 on average.

for outta the box performance the SR is way superior. and the KA blows due to its actual design. it has an incredibly long stroke and therefore does poorly at attaining high rpms or top end power, hence why it IS a truck motor
Old 10-01-2003, 03:51 AM

I told you this would happen. Everyone talkin Sh** now. Now all the nissan guys are bashin on other nissans. Startin to look like another honda forum. Sonic stop talkin down on the s15, if you could take it you would take it in a heart beat. Why does the 6 speed suck? have you ever driven it? or worked on it? had any personaly experience with it? no......its good for 400hp plus...whats wrong with that. The head isnt usless, the thing keeps 250hp. Comes with 480 injectors to, yea that REALLY sucks.........? ITS ALL ON YOUR OWN THINKING! do what you wanna do man, sheesh. But dont come to a nissan forum and talk down on other nissans. You can make 400hp to a ka, u can make 400+hp to sr, or rb, or WHATEVER you wanna do. All a matter of money time and thought.

Robbie
Old 10-01-2003, 04:29 AM

dude WTF crawled up your skirt? ****ing suck my ***. i would take my red top over an S15 anyday. dollar for dollar the red top is a hella better engine. hell, for the price of an S15, you could buy an rb25det. any ways before you get all up and arms abotu me bashing anoth nissan motor, your hypocrytical *** need to stop *****ing at another 240 owner. screw you man, theres your flame
Old 10-01-2003, 04:31 AM

BTW oh master mechanic what are you running in the 1/4 with your plug wires and thermostat? you put those in all by yourself?

Quick Reply: Ka24det vs. sr20det