General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Legal for road in us rb25

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:10 PM

Legal for road in us rb25

Hello im new to this forums i have been readin them for 5 or 6 months this is my 1st post here. My ? is how would you make it legal like get inspected and stuff with a RB25det? i am looking to swap but i dont know if i can get it inspected or not.Plz help
Old 06-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

i think its 100% illegal, u kant make it legal.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:10 AM

o

Well how would i get my car inspected for road use if it is not legal there has to be some way ......i mean you but B18C and B18C5 's and b16a1 or 2 in hondas and they make them street lgal but how would you go about doing it is the ? how do you make the Sr20DET legal.....Maybe you just need to become friends with a inspector lol...
Old 06-14-2003, 10:44 AM

You find a smog shop that will do it for you. Talk to people find out who. Give them $250 handshake.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

yea i gatta bribe the smog cheker into doing it and pass u. Its not to difficult really
Old 06-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

It's possible that the RB25DET is legal.

I don't know how it works, but Motorex has sold cars equipped with the RB25DET in the US, legal for road use here.

I have no idea how to find out if you could use their work for your purposes.

-Justin
Old 06-14-2003, 06:27 PM

Well guys thanks alot for helping if i figure anything out about how to get tem legal i will let you kno i am going to call the DMV (I hate the DMV there a bunch of damn jewish nigglets) anyways thatnks guys....Let me kno if you all find anything else out
Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Justin.b
It's possible that the RB25DET is legal.

I don't know how it works, but Motorex has sold cars equipped with the RB25DET in the US, legal for road use here.

I have no idea how to find out if you could use their work for your purposes.

-Justin
if u mean the skylines....they spend like 16 grand just to make it legal....just bribe the smog guy and show the smog papers if sumone pulls u over...or dont do nething suspecious that will make u get pulled over.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:43 PM

its legal for Skylines, not 240s.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:10 AM

but

What about the SR20DET How would you make them legal for road use ..Nightc77 or sumtin like that was saying ina forum that his 240 with the RB25DET had good MPG on the highway so he has to of got it legalizes somehom

What if you took the lil plate things that tell you all the info on the engine like took the one off the stock ngine and put it on the RB25??? the plate that says there car name the vin the year and all that stuff?? you think that would work? these hick *** WV Peplz dont no anything about what motor should be in a import car there ll about there chevys and fords...and my insurance is in wv so thats where i have to be inspected?
Thanks alot for the help
Old 06-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

i dont tink night legalized his RB25, but just because its not legalized doesnt mean u cant drive it. When my swap is done ima be driving around town with a RB20...thats 100% illegal...i just kant get pulled over and caught haha. "its a KA officer i swear"
Old 06-15-2003, 08:21 AM

lol

Yes thats is what i will end up doing.....All i need is to find some one to inspect it i dont kno where but my friends cusin has a h22 in his crx ill ask him where he gets his inspected i think his dad owns a shop i kno i could get them to hook me up just have to get my friend to talk to em...Have you all be to carlise compact internationals..i went the last 2years this year was crazy so now there not having it anymore thats gay lol
Old 06-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
if u mean the skylines....they spend like 16 grand just to make it legal....just bribe the smog guy and show the smog papers if sumone pulls u over...or dont do nething suspecious that will make u get pulled over.
From what I read before, once any company goes through the effort and expense to legalize a motor for highway use in the US, it becomes 'legal.'

Swapping that motor into a car of the same class will also be legal as long as all emissions controls from the original car are retained and it is swapped into the same type of vehicle. I don't know if Motorex Skylines are classed as coupes or sedans. If they are coupes, then you should be able to use their work in certifying the motor to validate your swap into a 240.

The money they spend on the cars is mostly to get the chassis to comply with US safety regulations - bumpers, glass, possibly side impact beams. This is the stuff you would have to do to legalize a 180sx or Silvia, but the 240 already meets US safety standards so this stuff is not necessary for us.

To my knowledge, only one state (CA) has an underhood inspection by people knowledgeable enough to even know the motor isn't meant for the car. Even MA and NY (city area) where they have the 'rolling road' emissions dynos do not subject the cars to an underhood inspection even though they hold them to the same emissions standards as CA.

-Justin
Old 06-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

yea and thats one of the things i hate about cali! some countys dont do under the hood inspection though. The pigs are getting tougher
Old 06-15-2003, 10:20 AM

?

When my swap is done ima be driving around town with a RB20
Would the RB20DET be better then a RB25DET becuse you said you was doing a rb20 swap why you pick the rb20det over thwe rb25det.Jus asking

Quick Reply: Legal for road in us rb25