S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   Looking for a test pipe setup (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/looking-test-pipe-setup-46516/)

CGL Dorikin 11-17-2009 01:05 PM

Looking for a test pipe setup

I'm relatively new to the world of the S-Chassis but I know I made a good choice to enter it and I should be sticking around til the day I day. BUT, I am in need of some advice. I have a KA24E and I am looking around for new exhaust and such and I came to the conclusion that since MN has no smog test I want a test pipe (maybe). Otherwise I'll look into picking up a Catco High Flow and maybe a MeganRacing or Blitz exhaust system. Let me know what companies are actually worth the money :D

USMCDrifter 11-17-2009 01:39 PM

A test pipe is just a pipe that gets hooked up in place of your cat . . .nothing special to it.

Just make sure it's not too wide (interior diameter) or you'll wind up hurting more than you help.

I would say, just look on eBay for a test pipe for your year model car . . .or just go to an exhaust shop (they're everywhere), have them drop your cat and weld in a test pipe. Shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks either way.

-Dave

CGL Dorikin 11-17-2009 01:53 PM

Alright I'll look into it. Thanks :D

jramosthe1st! 11-17-2009 02:05 PM

you'll lose tq, maybe gain 1/2hp, and kill the environment, is that something you can live with? if you are some sort of heartless monster and and it's ok with you to kill the planet, at least get a resonated test pipe. that way we don't have to hear you while you slowly exterminate humanity.

CGL Dorikin 11-17-2009 02:09 PM

Just to throw it out there, Im not the only one hahaha.
And nothing is set in stone. Im still looking for options.
A chart would be really nice actually, comparing a test pipe to a cat-back
I am looking for a good HP gain, but I dont wanna lose to much low-end power
And I'll be getting new downpipe and all the other goodies at some point.
Just need a starting place :D

jramosthe1st! 11-17-2009 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9414
red is with the stock cat.
green is open down pipe.
blue is no exhaust but with the stock cat.

here's a dyno from a rb25det, if the numbers don't change much between having open exhaust and the ever so restrictive cat on a rb, do you really think there will be any change with a ka?

CGL Dorikin 11-17-2009 02:37 PM

Thanks for the insight. I have some time to make my decision so I'll keep on looking.
Would it even be worth it to get like $ 450 - 550 exhaust system from like 240motoring ?

jramosthe1st! 11-17-2009 03:18 PM

nope.

USMCDrifter 11-17-2009 05:02 PM

You can probably get similar gains by going with a high-flow cat, still save the planet (I for one am all about catted-tuning) and get whatever gains you think you'll get from the test pipe.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine did a test of this very nature and the gains from going with a test pipe were . . . .less than marginal . . .

Biggamehit 11-17-2009 05:19 PM

I was a young one before who thought the test pipe was ultra cool... Get a high flow cat and call it a day...

CGL Dorikin 11-18-2009 04:11 AM

What would you say is the smartest choice of brand to go with as far as exhaust system? MeganRacing is definitely cheaper but is it worth the price drop?

Biggamehit 11-18-2009 01:26 PM

of all the things I have bought in my time..... a High Flow is not one of them.

On my 240... I just run straight pipe lol.... minus a test pipe lol. My skyline came with an High Flow on it.

CGL Dorikin 11-18-2009 03:57 PM

So I keep seeing all these exhaust systems online. Blitz, Apexi, 5zigen, Greddy, MeganRacing, ISIS, Dmax. Some are pretty expensive. Some aren't too bad. I am basically looking for some power gain and a good sound. Not too loud and whiney. I know they are all name brand but I know that some aren't worth the money. What would be the smartest purchase?

shaban 11-18-2009 04:41 PM

Search dude, please. Just search videos on youtube to see how they sound. Also, search reviews to see what other people said about the product.

USMCDrifter 11-18-2009 05:19 PM

SHABAN!

WTF?

Where have you been? I've . . . missed you :(