General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Makin the SR20 smog legal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 08:03 PM

Makin the SR20 smog legal

What do u need to make a SR20 to pass smog in California?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Nzo

As far as i know nothing. A friend of a friend has one and he says it passes the tail pipe test with no problems. The only problem youll have smogging it is if they decide to look at the engine which they rarely do.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:07 AM

yea ok....The SR will not pass SMOG, or the Visual Inspection....It can pass the sniffer test, but cali is smog, so your answer is NO.

Last edited by LI S13 Blacktop; 08-01-2002 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Nzo

I know of people who have passed the emissions portion of smog without paying off smog techs, and not just the friend of a friend. It is possible in CA.

Last edited by Nzo; 08-01-2002 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:08 AM

Like i said...Yea, ok.

There are ways around it, and way's not to do the smog check 'legally'....the SR20det is NOT smog Legal, i repeat Is NOT smog legal. You can argue it, and im sure there are plenty of people who got passed w/out paying extra, BUT THE SR20DET IS NOT SMOG LEGAL IN ANY OF THE 50 US STATES.....hmmm....

We all 'know' people and stuff like that, BUT THE SR20DET IS NOT SMOG LEGAL IN ANY OF THE 50 US STATES....(unless someone wanted to take it to motorex, and spend the 8k or whatever they would charge to smog legalize it) otherwise THE SR20DET IS NOT SMOG LEGAL IN ANY OF THE 50 US STATES....

is that that hard to understand? I'll try to explain it this way. California has emission #'s that have to be met for their smog problems. THE SR20DET DOES NOT MEET THOSE STANDARDS.

but yea, you know someone, therefor the motor must be smog legal right...
Old 08-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Nzo

Of course the sr20 isnt smog legal. I never said it was and im not arguing that it is. Besides the legality of the engine has nothing to do with this guys question. If you bother to read it hes asking what he can do to get it to pass smog. Not a word about its legality.

Dont get fresh with me.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:41 AM

OK, and you said

"As far as i know nothing. A friend of a friend has one and he says it passes the tail pipe test with no problems. The only problem youll have smogging it is if they decide to look at the engine which they rarely do."

and i said

"yea ok....The SR will not pass SMOG, or the Visual Inspection....It can pass the sniffer test, but cali is smog, so your answer is NO."

AND NOW your contridicting yourself....now you say quote "Of course the sr20 isnt smog legal. I never said it was and im not arguing that it is. "

But before you said, it didnt have to have anything done to it to pass SMOG....DOEs that make sense??????????????

then "If you bother to read it hes asking what he can do to get it to pass smog. Not a word about its legality."

LMAO...SMOG is a LEGALITY issue...saying smog test does imply legal issues automatically....right????????

Whatever you do, the SR20det will not be street legal...

Trying to be fresh with you? This isnt the first time you've asked or answered a question incorrectly, then cant just sit tight and take a correct answer or recommondation, and have to insist you are right.....

yea, it 'can' be made to pass smog...put like two cats on it or somthing, you'll be fine...

Old 08-01-2002, 10:42 AM

i almost forgot why i left this forum in the first place, thanks for reminding me.

later
Old 08-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Nzo

An engine being smog legal and a smog-illegal engine passing a smog inspection are two completely different things. You are confusing them.

Btw plz point me to my incorrect responses.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 AM

"smog-illegal engine passing a smog inspection "

then you didnt pass smog inspection..you just got a smog inspeciton sticker or whatever.

I guess its just if your looking at what SMOG ispection means, or if your just looking for a sticker.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LI S13 Blacktop
i almost forgot why i left this forum in the first place, thanks for reminding me.

later
good call...what the hell is wrong with you people? THIS is why (yeah i know i might have had a SMALL hand in it) but we mustn't fight amoung ourselves...i've cleaned up my act...we all should not fight
Old 08-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Nzo

I guess its just if your looking at what SMOG ispection means, or if your just looking for a sticker.
Theyre one in the same. You cant get a sticker without passing smog. There are no two ways about it. Either you pass, or you dont.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:18 PM

NOOOO...my car fails emissions. I have a inspection sticker...I NEVER PASSED Emissions...but i have a sticker.....Yes Yes Yes you can get a sticker w.out passing smog...what do you think buying a sticker is? Sometimes you dont even have to have your car with you and you can get a sticker.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Nzo

What sticker are you talking about? Im talking about the sticker for the license plate. If you dont have one you cant have your car registered and you cant get one without passing smog. I dunno what kind of strange smog laws they have in ny...
Old 08-01-2002, 01:23 PM

I think you two are getting the smog inspections confused. Remember one of you is in New York and the other is in California. What is being said is that yes a stock SR20DET can pass the sniffer portion of a smog test, But will immediately fail the visual inspection. Meaning it wont pass smog, Because a smog test is the combination of the two inspections. As for buying a sticker, I'm not sure what you mean. Out here you cannot buy a sticker, When your car is smogged in California the smog station sends the results directly to DMV HQ in Sacramento. SO you can buy all the stickers you want, If the DMV didnt recieve the verification from the test facility your not getting your car registerd. Also you said it can pass the sniffer test, But Cali is smog. A Smog test is the combination of the sniffer test and visual inspection, so i'm lost as to what you mean.

Statik

Quick Reply: Makin the SR20 smog legal