General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

The Myth behind redline oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:12 PM

The Myth behind redline oil

One thing that I need to make clear to people in the forum is a synthetic oil called Redline. Many people are striving for anything to achieve optimum power for there engines and are in search of products that perform on demand.
Redline oil claims that you can rev beyond the limitation and the specified mechanics of the engine. I will let you all know right now that it is nothing more but a sales ploy and a myth.
To state the truth and nothing more but the truth Redline is nothing more than any other synthetic oil that prevents viscosity from occuring in the cylinder walls. Yes it is true that HP gains have been noted, but these are fractions of HP. Yes it is true that it is an anti friction agent being synthetic, but it is false that you can push the limitations of the valve train passed it's recomended strength.
High grade metals used in the valve train; "springs and titanium retainers" are the only components that will allow the engine to exceed passed it's OEM specs, $5.00 oil doesn't cut it.
So for those of you searching for that additional fraction of a donkey I would recomend any synthetic on the market to date "Castrol syntec, Mobiltech, and yes even Redline".
I am in no way stating that Redline is a bad product, I just thought I should correct the falicy in it's marketing ploy.
Hope you enjoyed reading!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Good input. . .it's not a lifesaver or a mod that's gonna help add some rwhp

That being said, I know for a fact it helps messed up synchos and I only use it in my 240sx because I know it's good quality product.

Dr.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Yes it is a great quality product. But to save on penny's I use castrol syntec.
I just want noobs out there to understand the gimics behind the marketing of performance products. For anyone to fall for a falicy such as the Redline Myth, would pay huge consequences when blowing the head or valve train "a very expensive correction to fix".
Old 01-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

I agree... it should take a little common sense to understand and realize that changing to high dollar fluids doesn't necessarily mean your car is super pro high power monster all of a sudden.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:33 PM

wait, people believe that oil will make the engine spin faster? *sigh*
Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Darren337
wait, people believe that oil will make the engine spin faster? *sigh*
YES many noobs believe,"that know nothing about engine mechanics", I use to be one of them when I first turned 16 years of age. It's a good thing I grew up to understand engine mechanics!

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-30-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:56 PM

more power to you, vinnie
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Darren337
more power to you, vinnie
THANX
Old 01-30-2005, 10:11 PM

so of those of you that are using redline, where is the cheapest place you've found it? ive had trouble finding it in stores
Old 01-30-2005, 10:34 PM

AND, what is the difference between Redline MT90 and redline
75-90 tranny fluid?????

Whats better for our s14's???
Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by needa240
AND, what is the difference between Redline MT90 and redline
75-90 tranny fluid?????

Whats better for our s14's???
Did a serach, came up on this:

"MT-90 is a 75-90 GL-4 with 1% friction modifier.

Redline 75-90 is a GL-5 with 6% friction modifier.

Redline 75-90 NS has no friction modifier."

If you are not aware, our transmissions require a GL-4 gear oil, so the MT-90 would be the choice if you go with Redline. Whatever you do, stay away from GL-5 oils.

kable, I've seen it at about $9 a bottle, but I was only searching local shops in my area
Old 01-31-2005, 01:30 AM

I have not had any luck with synthetics in the past. I ran Royal Purple in my 69 Camaro for awhile. But it seeped through my rings and just burned off so I went back to a basic petrol based oil. The only difference I saw between the two was the price...5 bucks a quart for the synth vs. 2 bucks for some good petrol stuff. Since then I have just run Castrol in everything I own.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Roscutoo
I have not had any luck with synthetics in the past. I ran Royal Purple in my 69 Camaro for awhile. But it seeped through my rings and just burned off so I went back to a basic petrol based oil. The only difference I saw between the two was the price...5 bucks a quart for the synth vs. 2 bucks for some good petrol stuff. Since then I have just run Castrol in everything I own.
Synthetics are durable, can take higher heat constrants, because it isn't syffined from petroleum it is a much cleaner substance with less viscous materials. But the molecules are smaller and are not recomended for high mileage engine's.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:01 AM

the mt90 and 75-90 are both for manual tranny's or diffs.....whatever you want.

Thanks for clearing up the difference in the two man. Really appritiate it, i ALMOST bought the 75-90.

Can you clear up what the DIFFERENCE in gl5 and gl4 are? Thanks again man.

And i think a friction modifier ADDS friction... right? I know they like fricition modifiers in auto tranny's because it helps a slipping tranny grab......i think.....
Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by needa240
the mt90 and 75-90 are both for manual tranny's or diffs.....whatever you want.

Thanks for clearing up the difference in the two man. Really appritiate it, i ALMOST bought the 75-90.

Can you clear up what the DIFFERENCE in gl5 and gl4 are? Thanks again man.

And i think a friction modifier ADDS friction... right? I know they like fricition modifiers in auto tranny's because it helps a slipping tranny grab......i think.....
here's a quote from someone I trust:

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Syn. gear oil does NOT harm your synchros, it's oils that have GL5 additives that wear out syncros. Just make sure the oil you get uses GL4 and not 5 and your set. As for what kind, either 75w90 or 80w90 will do. Run MT90 in both and you should be happy

Quick Reply: The Myth behind redline oil