S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   NA rwd sr20de (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/na-rwd-sr20de-6049/)

paNX2K&SE-R 09-12-2003 10:00 PM

NA rwd sr20de

Anyone know of any sources for an na rwd sr20de and maybe approximate prices? Thanks

I'm with Stupid 09-12-2003 10:35 PM

I've never seen them anywhere other than eBay, because IMO and I'm sure many other people agree they're a complete waste of of money. Importers don't bother, so you'll have to "special order" one.

paNX2K&SE-R 09-12-2003 10:49 PM

I can understand how someone thats not from an SR20 background would think that. I had a det swap in my 91 SE-R which is for all intents and purposes the same as a redtop rwd det motor and it was great. However, if the stock engine wasn't beyond repair I could have used a bolt on kit and made more power. The na sr20 is just as good as the factory det. The oil squiters don't make that much of a difference. You can safely run a t28 at 14-16 psi on a 9.5:1 compression engine and make more power then a 8.5:1 det. It just happens that the current mindset of the 240 crowd is that you *have* to have the factory det motor for a good turbo setup. This was the same mindset the fwd sr20 crowd had 4 years ago before it became common knowledge that a bolt on de setup was just as good. The whole rwd sr20 movement is still in its infancy and there is still a lot left to learn for most of the 240 crowd.

TruDirtyPlaya 09-12-2003 11:03 PM

Umm.. Lol, just thought it would be cheaper to just turbo a sr20de than just buying a det...

personally I'm trying to figure out how to put in a rb26, thought about a custom turbo manifold shifting the turbos foward more...

looks like I'm going rb25 though... easier/cheaper install

I'm with Stupid 09-13-2003 05:18 PM

Originally posted by paNX2K&SE-R
I can understand how someone thats not from an SR20 background would think that. I had a det swap in my 91 SE-R which is for all intents and purposes the same as a redtop rwd det motor and it was great. However, if the stock engine wasn't beyond repair I could have used a bolt on kit and made more power. The na sr20 is just as good as the factory det. The oil squiters don't make that much of a difference. You can safely run a t28 at 14-16 psi on a 9.5:1 compression engine and make more power then a 8.5:1 det. It just happens that the current mindset of the 240 crowd is that you *have* to have the factory det motor for a good turbo setup. This was the same mindset the fwd sr20 crowd had 4 years ago before it became common knowledge that a bolt on de setup was just as good. The whole rwd sr20 movement is still in its infancy and there is still a lot left to learn for most of the 240 crowd.
The SR20DE also has a smaller oil pump, and does not have a coil on plug ignition. Even if for the sake of discussion they were exactly the same in all ways with the exception of a turbo, the money you'd waste on importing a SR20DE (which will be slower than the KA) and then bolting on a turbo would be ridiculous. :confused:

paNX2K&SE-R 09-13-2003 06:06 PM

Sorry that is not true. Only the GTiR has a bigger pump.

The SR20DE also has a smaller oil pump,

That makes no difference unless you are making over 400 whp.

and does not have a coil on plug ignition.

If you could get one for $600 then you would be way ahead of the people that pay $2000 for a det...

Even if for the sake of discussion they were exactly the same in all ways with the exception of a turbo, the money you'd waste on importing a SR20DE (which will be slower than the KA) and then bolting on a turbo would be ridiculous

Again, I have no ill will towards the people in the 240 crowd that are new to the SR20 engine. The learning process doesn't happen overnight...

Rittmeister 09-13-2003 07:16 PM

This is really interesting. If you find out where to get an NA RWD SR, let us know.

I wonder how hard it is to source the OEM turbo stuff for a RWD engine...

NightXCZ77 09-15-2003 06:47 AM

I believe I have a few available if you are interested....please pm me for details.