General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

NEW GUIDE: 240sx VIN / Model ID decoding

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

hey here is another one that might help some of us out... how many times have you heard my hud this or my digital speedo and gague cluster does that??? i found this when trying to fix mine...
http://multi-index.myonlinesite.com/...0sx_speedo.htm
dont know if you want to link to this or just redo it... im going to start mine tomorrow mornin ... in the cold i might add...
Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Big Pimpin man, smart idea to cover up the last serial numbers too. You wouldn't wan't someone doing something stupid like lets say........"A duplicate title in there name". That would suck ***. Great right up, I would of scratched my head for weaks tryin to prepare a write up like that one. Good thing you had additional sources.
That makes me wonder......
I have access to a stamping press and since in Cali it is illegal to have the sr20det, I might be able to stamp new fake plate's. Using salvaged title VINs from wrecking yards, and a fresh title. Any one need one for smog. OOPs I might go to prison for that one. Bad joke won't happen, or will it........ F#%k the government.
I give you mad props. That deservs a double DAP.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-28-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
Big Pimpin man, smart idea to cover up the last serial numbers too. You wouldn't wan't someone doing something stupid like lets say........"A duplicate title in there name". That would suck ***. Great right up, I would of scratched my head for weaks tryin to prepare a write up like that one. Good thing you had additional sources.
That makes me wonder......
I have access to a stamping press and since in Cali it is illegal to have the sr20det, I might be able to stamp new fake plate's. Using salvaged title VINs from wrecking yards, and a fresh title. Any one need one for smog. OOPs I might go to prison for that one. Bad joke won't happen, or will it........ F#%k the government.
I give you mad props. That deservs a double DAP.
LOL
Old 02-02-2005, 04:16 PM

I checked my 1993 240SX on Carfax.com and the year/make/model is:

JN1-MS36-P2P-W-XXXXXX
1993 NISSAN 240SX/SE

Does that mean its an SE or it could be base or SE?

I checked another 1992 240SX SE A/T that I am planning to buy and and it says on carfax:

JN1-MS34-P4N-WXXXXXX
1992 NISSAN 240SX

Does that mean the car isnt SE and being sold as SE? I havent checked it yet. I might just look at the orange sticker to see if it has LSD on it.

Or I need to see the MIN? But the VIN/MIN article doesnt show how to differentiate an SE vs base or LE.

Thanks and great articles Raine!

Last edited by l2aine; 02-02-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by 518
I checked my 1993 240SX on Carfax.com and the year/make/model is:

JN1-MS36-P2P-W-XXXXXX
1993 NISSAN 240SX/SE

Does that mean its an SE or it could be base or SE?

I checked another 1992 240SX SE A/T that I am planning to buy and and it says on carfax:

JN1-MS34-P4N-WXXXXXX
1992 NISSAN 240SX

Does that mean the car isnt SE and being sold as SE? I havent checked it yet. I might just look at the orange sticker to see if it has LSD on it.

Or I need to see the MIN? But the VIN/MIN article doesnt show how to differentiate an SE vs base or LE.

Thanks and great articles Raine!
Dude not to sound like an a$$hole, but do you know what you are doing when you are displaying vins to the whole world? Dude you need to delet the last 6 digits....... It's not smart to hand it out..........

Last edited by l2aine; 02-02-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Dude not to sound like an a$$hole, but do you know what you are doing when you are displaying vins to the whole world? Dude you need to delet the last 6 digits....... It's not smart to hand it out..........
Edited both the original post and the quote (LOL Vinnie)

As I stated in the write-up I didn't find a solid way to differentiate between XE and SE/LE for S13 240sx's. When comparing the MIN's of all the S13 people I surveyed, there were no clear cut indications by using just the MIN.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 PM

Quick indication of Sport Edition Nissans come with rear spoilers. As an option in Luxury Edition Nissans you get one of two options or both spoiler and/or leather interior included with leather seats"which if you didn't notice is really high grade vinyl". Bose stereo system, or infinity stereo system depending on the factory it came from in the US, with single or 6 disc cd changer.... The SE came with a low grade clarion unit. "I could be wrong about the low grade clarion, not shure".
Then with SE and LE 95-98 you get the 5 lug ABS package.
In Japan LE Silvia's came with Nakamichi stereo systems "a division of Panasonic", Bose, or Infinity all with single or 6 disc cd changer. As an option only in Japan you could have Recaro Racing seats.
As always XE comes with bone stock crap.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 02-02-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 PM

Vinnie, thanks for the reminder.

Raine, thanks for editing.

I have the sponge rear spoiler on my '93 but I guess I will have to go with what the carfax says...looks like I have an SE

I searched google for the SE wheel and this is what I came up with...the same alloy that I have on my '93

I bought this '93 two weeks ago and the seller didnt advertised it as an SE. I was thinking about selling it and getting the '92 240SX which is being advertised as an SE model. Im glad I checked carfax...Im keeping my '93 SE then.

Thank you for the replies and the reminding me about the VIN
Old 02-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Yep you have an SE model, an XE model has hub caps. Sucks that they didn't list it in the VIN.....
If you have the fast back se, or assumed fast back se, check to see if your car comes with super HICAS. Super HICAS came on all LE's, while only on some model SE's, get's confusing, doesn't it?

Last edited by BigVinnie; 02-02-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 AM

Vinnie, it's starting to confuse me

I dont think my assumed fastback SE has a HICAS because I dont see any decal of any kind to indicate that this has a super HICAS. I remebember seeing a HICAS imprinted on the pin stripe behind the doors and one of the lights in the gauge cluster.

Im only finding out about this car, this wasnt my first choice for a used car. It just happened that the seller lives in a very reputable place called Temple City.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 518
It just happened that the seller lives in a very reputable place called Temple City.
If you can make it down to our weekly meets one of the PIrates can help you ID your car bro.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by 518
Vinnie, it's starting to confuse me

I dont think my assumed fastback SE has a HICAS because I dont see any decal of any kind to indicate that this has a super HICAS. I remebember seeing a HICAS imprinted on the pin stripe behind the doors and one of the lights in the gauge cluster.

Im only finding out about this car, this wasnt my first choice for a used car. It just happened that the seller lives in a very reputable place called Temple City.
No sweat then man........You have an SE congradulations......It would of been shameful if you had an xe, they don't even come with VLSD...... That reminds me to make shure you don't have a "FAKE" SE, look underneath the car at the diff. If you have a large diff with heat sinks surrounding the casing you defenitely have the SE. To really make shure if you have an SE **** your wheels all they way to the left, spin a donut, when the left wheel pops off the ground and spins out you have VLSD.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
If you can make it down to our weekly meets one of the PIrates can help you ID your car bro.
Id love to go the meet but my is A/T with FlowMaster press-bent exhaust damn that previous owner who loves NASCAR

Vinnie, is that a heat-sink? the thing that look like fins??? yeah, the car have those. I'll have to pass on that "donut-test"

Thanks you two, you have been very helpful.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 518
Id love to go the meet but my is A/T with FlowMaster press-bent exhaust damn that previous owner who loves NASCAR

Vinnie, is that a heat-sink? the thing that look like fins??? yeah, the car have those. I'll have to pass on that "donut-test"

Thanks you two, you have been very helpful.
Doesn't matter we get some stockers out there too... it's for the people to chill - not some HIN meet like some of the Honda people think it is LOL
Old 02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quick indication of Sport Edition Nissans come with rear spoilers. As an option in Luxury Edition Nissans you get one of two options or both spoiler and/or leather interior included with leather seats"which if you didn't notice is really high grade vinyl". Bose stereo system, or infinity stereo system depending on the factory it came from in the US, with single or 6 disc cd changer.... The SE came with a low grade clarion unit. "I could be wrong about the low grade clarion, not shure".
Then with SE and LE 95-98 you get the 5 lug ABS package.
In Japan LE Silvia's came with Nakamichi stereo systems "a division of Panasonic", Bose, or Infinity all with single or 6 disc cd changer. As an option only in Japan you could have Recaro Racing seats.
As always XE comes with bone stock crap.
Best way to know whether it has HICAS, check the chassis code on the plate by the firwall. If it says KRMS13, you have HICAS. I always thought XE was the "SE" version of the pignose.
BTW, HICAS did not come on any LEs. They came on SEs as an option. LEs are a basic SE with leather interior. Hope that clarifies things. BTW, I should know the LE deal, I have one.

Quick Reply: NEW GUIDE: 240sx VIN / Model ID decoding