General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

new idea for wings

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:14 PM

new idea for wings

I have been studying how the spoiler on the back of a car gives you downforce, and i found a way to get up to 3x more downforce out of the spoiler and i was wondering if anyone knows how i could manufacture this as a product, or sell this idea, if you can tell me i will make you happy! i dont think i will tell the secret yet, but it will come out soon, i hope. Thanx
Old 02-20-2005, 03:40 PM

well haha get a ruff idea for it like a model car with it on there. maybe go to a machine shop and get a raw one made up (actual size) and get a pattened. then try to sell it to companies?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Or tell me, and, i promise! i won't le it slip
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM

be careful on who you talk to. i've heard of ideas being stolen just by presenting the idea. BUT the guy who told those stories had an interesting point, and it would definitely be cheaper than patent / whatever:

-draw up your plan
-seal it in an envelope and send to your self via certified mail AND DO NO OPEN
-show your idea and hope it gets stolen and produced so you can sue the hell out of them

why send to yourself? it will have an office government time stamp. so it'll work if the company that produces it can 'tprove they had the idea before you .... but if you do that jsut document anything and everything so you don'tget screwed.

i think patents cost THOUSANDS. i think, don't know for sure. and it's a lot of work.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:05 PM

That is a poor man's copyright and will not always hold up in court, if someone makes the rght moves with the right attorneys, won't really matter, i've talked to lawyers aboutthis because i'm into making movies, and trut me, it won't always hold up =( Patents do not cost thousands, they really areno a work, get a prototype up or plans then contact your patent office.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 AM

hold up... we are talking about a 3 times more downforce than a regular spoiler... doesnt the rear downforce make the front get up little bit? (in other words, the rear will be lower than front)

and as far as i know, downforce works on high speeds, now do we really want the rear more down and front up on highspeeds? i am not trying to be negative, or anything offensive, but i dont think thats really safe...

well, that was just my opionion, but please dont let my opinions screw your world up. do what you got to do.

aiit, peace.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:36 PM

http://www.uspto.gov/

get the patent yourself and dont go through invention idea companies such as invent tech
Old 02-28-2005, 03:44 PM

DRiften has a good point.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

If you knew you could get 3x's more down force then wouldnt you have already made it? How did you come to this conclusion? What computer program did you use?

Do you have acess to a wind tunnel?
If you do you dont need to be asking what you are on a car forum.
Plus like was stated before. More
downforce isnt always better.

If yo uare talking about wedging the stock wing( making poly wedges to raise the wing) to get said downforce it itsnt that hard . Or you can buy an adjustable wing
(I hope yours IS adjustable) for $500.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

if it works out you'll make millions off f1 cars they strive for more eficent ways for downforce
Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

without a wind tunnel it's all theory IMO... I'd like to know where the whole 3x measurement came from... and what you do for a living
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DRiften
hold up... we are talking about a 3 times more downforce than a regular spoiler... doesnt the rear downforce make the front get up little bit? (in other words, the rear will be lower than front)

and as far as i know, downforce works on high speeds, now do we really want the rear more down and front up on highspeeds? i am not trying to be negative, or anything offensive, but i dont think thats really safe...

well, that was just my opionion, but please dont let my opinions screw your world up. do what you got to do.

aiit, peace.
canards on the front could counter-balance this lift, how ever it would be cool to see a car pull of an gt3 escudo wheelie
Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM

yeah, thank you all for replying, but the idea is not to put the wing higher, but to ...... well it is very simple, just wait and ill show you after i get it patented! And im just a crazy, simple student that has a lot of negative theories, but i really know that this will work. NOW just to find a damn wind tunnel. And with this "theory" you can adjust the amount of downforce. I wish i could tell you guys cause its a brilliant idea!

Last edited by Z-bra; 03-10-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:37 AM

...... I hope it is not just changing angle of the wing.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Yeah strap that unto a Pontiac Fiero and see how fast it will do a flip

Quick Reply: new idea for wings