General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

no starting, clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 AM

no starting, clicking sound

hmmmm. my car won't start...no turning over or anything. i just hear some clicking sounds. i thought it might be the ACC relay because the clicking stopped when i took it out. i got a new one and the same problem. my battery is full of juice. i thought it may be the starter but i hear that if the starter is bad, the car still attempts to start. any suggestions?
thanks
stephanie
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 AM

wow...um you checked all your fuses?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 AM

I think its your starter, it might be bad if you hear that clicking sound when you try to start up the car.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 AM

well...when mine did that its because the motor was seized.put it in nutreul and try popping the clutch(if its a 5-speed) and if the wheels lock up thats bad. im not sure how you check an auto? that sucks though good luck...
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM

^this does require the car to be moving
Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM

check your starter
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Re: no starting, clicking sound

Originally posted by richmondstef
my car won't start...no turning over or anything. i just hear some clicking sounds. i thought it might be the ACC relay because the clicking stopped when i took it out. i got a new one and the same problem. my battery is full of juice.
Mine does the same thing but only sometimes. If I keep trying though eventually it will start.Its a mystery
Old 02-23-2005, 05:40 PM

my brothers went down and took out the starter. boy was it a pain in the azz. both of them tell me i owe them a new pair of pants. they said they hotwired the starter and it worked. so not the starter, the battery and i guess not the alternater since it is holding a charge. my family is NOT for ever paying a mechanic so i think we will keep going down the list. my brother says he thinks maybe the starter was "stuck" i guess we will see when it gets back in

GOD BLESS THE SHADE TREE MECHANIC (and my brothers in this cold weather)

but it does look like snow in Richmond, VA. looks like a cold walk to work. oh and i have an automatic and my bro says first mistake. "you wouldn't have these problems with a 5 speed"

thanks for all the input for this stranded gal.

stephanie
Old 02-24-2005, 01:31 PM

sometimes starters get stuck but usually it will make a humming noise if its stuck.thier not that bad its just 2 tranny bolts and a wire. sorry you gotta walk, im almost in the same situation right now. my car wont rev past 2500 rpm's. and i live in michigan.....yay.....snow!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:58 PM

The starter just needs to be rebuilt. Happened on my 94 sentra. Sometimes took me 8 trys to get it to turn over. Sometimes it started right up. Not teh biggest deal in the world
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM

if the starter works and it continues to have this problem, check all the wiring from the ignition to the starter. if the starter isnt getting power, it doesnt matter if the starter is good or not. bad wiring is like leaving it disconnected. my uncle does this trick where he adds a relay to the starter's power and one time my cousin's car wouldnt start (same "clicking but not cranking" problem) turns out the relay he added died, and when we jumped the relay, the starter got power and cranked the motor.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 PM

Wink clicking starting

when it starts to click again. hit the starter with the handle of a hammer or something. if the car starts, its your starter
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM

hmmmm i guess it was the starter. my brothers hit the top with a piece of wood, out it back in, and now she is starting again. thanks everyone for all the thoughts and ideas.

stephanie
Old 02-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Re: clicking starting

Originally posted by bennieb
when it starts to click again. hit the starter with the handle of a hammer or something. if the car starts, its your starter
just what i was going to say. some good old fashion trouble shooting
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

doing the starter on these cars is a pain in the *** tho... it is only 2 bolts but getting to the top one sux rox... glad you are up and running again... or should i have siad starting???

Quick Reply: no starting, clicking sound