General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Nothing TOO special....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Nothing TOO special....

buying a case of beer tomorrow, 2 friends coming over, and them and I are taking my dash off, maybe relocating my (or jumping to another) cig lighter port to the top of the dash, hard wiring my Radar to a toggle switch, hard wiring my Neon(s) to toggle, and maybe throwing it all onto one main toggle to cut the power with ONE flick instead of driving in an airplane cockpit.

Not gonna be too secial, but for those who know where the cig port is in a 93 240, you know why I'm moving it. The Radar hangs down to the middle of the bloody car RIGHT in the way!

so anyway, I'll be posting before, during and after pics for all to see....hope I dont melt anything down

BTW - eventually, I want pretty much everything that CAN be toggled, toggled.....gonna be fun....lol.

I'll post pics a day or 2 after we're done, hopefully. Any suggestions from people?

wish us luck
Old 01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

this might sound kind of dumb at first... but go to a boat of fishing store and buy the pannel for a boat that has covered rocker switches with lights... not only are they clean and will fit in the center consol of a 240 if you get the right one but they are trick as hell... least i think so...
im using an 8 switch panel that will power everything in the car including ignition and starter... no more key switch for me....
just an idea to make it cooler than just a bunvh of toggel switches all over the place...
Old 01-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

thats cool wikd240. i like that. do you have any pics of the panel you got installed?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Aye, seems pretty wicked

I'll have to look some up and then re-route it to the switch board.

"Welcome to boaters world"

"I need a toggle switch panel"

"for what model?"

"1993 Nissan 240SX"

lolol.....would be funny just to say
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

A seperate power source dedicated to the components might be good (fused, of course)... I'd also recommend using relays to run power to each component, then you can tie the coil side of each relay to a single toggle switch (for your all on/all off). This is safer than running a bunch of voltage through a single switch... you odn't want some weirdo fire to start under the dash from excessive current draw.

That is how I wired 7 gauges and an EDFC unit to go on and off with the flick of a switch in my car
Old 01-08-2005, 05:15 AM

I'd only have 2 toggles tied in today....maybe a third...would I need relay's for only 3 toggles?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

when i do this mod everything will be ran on relays...relays are my friends...i actually go to the junk yard and find older ford products so i can grab their mini relays...about one third of the size as a bosch and work just as good...
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darchangel
I'd only have 2 toggles tied in today....maybe a third...would I need relay's for only 3 toggles?
It actually depends on how much power the switched components will be drawing. Just as an example, say you try to power 10 different electrical components through one switch. The current draw fot hose 10 combined might fry the wiring and cause a short or a fire.

On the other hand, if you were to tie each of the 10 components through relays, you can switch them on and off with a single toggle switch that uses a small amount of power since the relays don't need much to "activate". Another advantage is with relays is wiring - instead of wiring up those 10 components one after the other:

battery > switch > component 1 > component 2 > component 3... etc. to component 10 > ground

...you can save yourself from running thick wire everywhere by using relays:

component 1 > relay > battery
component 2 > relay > battery
component 3 > relay > battery
component 4 > relay > battery
component 5 > relay > battery

...and then one switch that is connected to the relays to activate them. This setup allows each component to draw their power directly from the battery, whereas in the first example, component #10 would have to wait for the other 9 components to get power first... and depending on the components themselves, the last component might not get enough juice due to the high resistance.

If it's radar and neon + one more, I don't think you'd need more than one relay total.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

i dont have this mod yet as im still working on the car but here is the link for the type of switch and panel im going to be using...http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...itchpanel6vert
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...itchpanels6hor
Old 01-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wikd240
i dont have this mod yet as im still working on the car but here is the link for the type of switch and panel im going to be using...http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...itchpanel6vert
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...itchpanels6hor
hey not bad... that panel setup actually looks good (minus the weird colors)... and good price too, compared to that super $$ Ignited setup
Old 01-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Just a question, if you have 10 componets wired to one switch, wouldn't the contacts be over crowded and oissible be touching all the time? As in, the switch could not be turned off? Maybe it's just me or the switches I've seen (I prefer the toggle switches from Autozone) but the contacts on the back don't seem big enough....
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SR20detoofast4u
Just a question, if you have 10 componets wired to one switch, wouldn't the contacts be over crowded and oissible be touching all the time? As in, the switch could not be turned off? Maybe it's just me or the switches I've seen (I prefer the toggle switches from Autozone) but the contacts on the back don't seem big enough....
I was just using "10" as an example of overloading
Old 01-08-2005, 02:05 PM

ok, mission accomplished. Police Radar and my driver side neon are both hardwired to my car now (with a lil help from Raine...which we wont go into detal as to how stupid I am on 5 hours sleep)

anyway....I'll post pics when I get them developed...

also, I'm not throwing everything onto one switch, each is gonna be on their own seperate toggle.

though, down the road, when I get most things wired up, I'm gonna keep each thing independantly toggled, but thow in a main toggle to make it so if the main one is off, nothing can be turned on, but when it is on, each toggle works as it would....this way, things can be all turned on and off with the flick of a switch, or left for me to decide which is avctive....

maybe I just have a good imagination....
Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like a cool thing. but wow thats a lot of wiring. i dont know if i could handle a birds nest of wires like that.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Ties are your friend

keep things nice and neat, and use ties every now and again, you can keep things seperated and clean...

plus if ya wire from different parts of the car and to different parts if the car, you shouldnt have too much trouble keeping things neat

Quick Reply: Nothing TOO special....