General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

obd2 motor into obd1

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:42 PM

obd2 motor into obd1

I have a 95 that I will have to replace with another motor. I see a 98 that is reasonble priced and may get it. How will this OBD2 motor fit into my OBD1 car? Intake mani and distributor the same or do I have to reuse the one from my current motor?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:30 PM

OBD1 and OBD2 has nothing to do with the manifolds for the most part. it is a ECU/sensor standard that allows you to hook up your car to any OBD 1/2 test box and get an answer as to what your car thinks is wrong with itself. thats why you can go to pep boys and get an OBD port scanner. anyway, see what you have, and if you still have OBD for sure, then you need the ECU and all the sensors that go with the 98 motor (not sure which ones are compatible). check with a mechanic to see what you would need and what to look for.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 PM

You will also need the 91-94 motor mount's. Different chassi cars.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 PM

wait, S13 mounts on a S14? this is a 98 motor in a 95... are 13 mounts whats needed here?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Darren337
OBD1 and OBD2 has nothing to do with the manifolds for the most part. it is a ECU/sensor standard that allows you to hook up your car to any OBD 1/2 test box and get an answer as to what your car thinks is wrong with itself. thats why you can go to pep boys and get an OBD port scanner. anyway, see what you have, and if you still have OBD for sure, then you need the ECU and all the sensors that go with the 98 motor (not sure which ones are compatible). check with a mechanic to see what you would need and what to look for.
I know what OBD is and I have a scanner myself. OBD2 engines have different sensors that need to be swapped out with OBD1 sensors. The manifold may be different because of extra sensors, but I doubt it. I need to know what's different between the two motors. Not to sound like an arrogant *****, but you are telling me what anyone should already know

Originally posted by BigVinnie
You will also need the 91-94 motor mount's. Different chassi cars.
negative
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 PM

ah, so you know... ok. well the motors are identical except for the OBD update. not sure on the manifolds, gonna have to ask raine. anyway the motor is the same KA24DE, so you're just gonna have to look at manifold/sensor compatibility.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM

New question. I'm buying a 95 Engine for my s13 93. Now I've heard some 95 are obd1 and some obd2 ( I've even heard some are obd 1.5?!) So as long as I look at it and it had 1 O2 sensor then its obd1, and 2 is obd2. but let say its obd2, can I conect all the sensors for the obd1 and run it? Since its the same engine. my old engine had a rod bearign failure and I don't see it being repaired a option. I have the obd1 wiring. what I'm thinking is like: I'll conect the first O2 sensor, and leave the other one hanging, or put the old O2 sesor in the place of the new one, so it gives me the same reading, and leave the other one hanging. yes I know there's prolly more sensors than that, buts I'm asking if i can use the OBD1 wirign and ECU on a OBD2 engine and leave any extra sensors hanging? or can I change certain sensors to OBD1 since its the same motor, and all sensors should fit. No, I don't have the obd2 wirign or ECU. I'm also thinking if I cant, I'll transfer everything except the block with pistons and crankshaft to the new engine thus the engine will be new inside, but all the manifold and headers and all will be old. Will this work? I searched and this was the most apropiate thread I found to post this, and I didn't wanted to make another one.

Last edited by Joel SX; 02-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 PM

CAUTION! NOOB QUESTION ALERT!

How can I tell if my DE is OBD1 or OBD2 if the only info I have is the engine sitting in front of me with no car?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by GBorrelli
CAUTION! NOOB QUESTION ALERT!

How can I tell if my DE is OBD1 or OBD2 if the only info I have is the engine sitting in front of me with no car?
Thanks for the warning. the diference is that obd2 has a hell of a lot more sensors than obd1. Also, the ECU's work diferently. OBD1 controls the engine and monitors. OBD2 controls the engine and makes real time adjustments to anything that can be adjusted to the car, + records and measures emisions more eficiently and makes the car run smoother and more "emision freindly". One way to tell is that OBD1 measured how much oxigen cameo ut of the engine to see how good it was burning, so it has 1 O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. OBD2 measures that + how good that CAT converter is working, so it usually has another O2 sensor behind the cat.

STILL!!!! Where's the answer to my question!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Joel SX
Thanks for the warning. the diference is that obd2 has a hell of a lot more sensors than obd1. Also, the ECU's work diferently. OBD1 controls the engine and monitors. OBD2 controls the engine and makes real time adjustments to anything that can be adjusted to the car, + records and measures emisions more eficiently and makes the car run smoother and more "emision freindly". One way to tell is that OBD1 measured how much oxigen cameo ut of the engine to see how good it was burning, so it has 1 O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. OBD2 measures that + how good that CAT converter is working, so it usually has another O2 sensor behind the cat.

STILL!!!! Where's the answer to my question!!!!
I guess I should have been more specific... I know what OBD1 and OBD2 are and the differences between them. What I want to know is how can I tell if the engine sitting in front of me is OBD1 or OBD2? I have the ECU and the exhaust manifold but no farther along the exhaust than the manifold so I only have one O2 sensor.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:01 AM

one O2 sensor=obd1
two O2 sensors=obd2
Old 02-11-2006, 02:35 PM

...you didn't read it right or I didn't write it right. I only have the exhaust manifold so I don't know if there is an 02 sensor after the CAT because the exhaust manifold is as much of the exhaust as I have. So if there is an 02 sensor after the CAT I have no way of knowing it because I don't have anything after the exhaust manifold. Is there some way to tell by the ECU? I have the ECU, no harness however.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 AM

Well I my car is obd 1, so I guess I can't even tell where would you look for to find the next O2 sensor. but if your car is obd1, and you're getting a obd2 engine, I'll work provided the obd1 parts are at hand. If you have a obd2 car, and you engine (could be) obd2, the you'll have to fix the harness and get a new ECU

what car are you driving? what year is the engine you got? besides the engine, what other stuff do you have?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 AM

GB guy, or whatever, yeah.. if your engine was from 96+ it's OBDII. Or hey, just check to see if you have an o2 sensor near the exhaust manifold and CAT. If you answered yes for both, then you have an OBD2.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

o goodness. i think these people need pics to understand. go pick up an fsm

Quick Reply: obd2 motor into obd1