General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

opinions on rb20 in drift car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM

i mean would a rb25 but a bad choice? i have no idea. i know the 25 makes about 45 more hp stock than the 20 but is another 1000 plus 500 for driveshaft worth it in a drift car?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Personal preference, although...
25 is generally newer
25 has stronger internals
25 is easier to mod
25 will make people envy you
"No replacement for displacement"

20 is older
20 has weaker internals
20 has less aftermarket parts
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

so do you think that puttin a 25 in my 240 would be the best bet? i do want to drift this car as well. thats the only thing stopping me. i mean it will take a while cause the whole 25 swap is going to run me around 5000, cause i will prolly save the money and not get the clip cause i read that mckinney motorsports make a mount kit that aligns your tranny in the right place and puts the motor where it should set in the engine bay so you don't have to remove areas from hood bracings if you use the gts crossmember is that true?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM

oh and i found a rb25 swap on jspecauto.com does anyone have a site they recommend to order from? cause i will order the swap soon i just wont have money for the rad and other parts need to finish for a while after i send the harness to get fixed for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by S13NismoDrifter
please i do say it will be a big change from drifting with a ka to a rb lol.

negative... ill explain more in detail later... sorry just got back in from iraq.. tired.. dave come rub my back
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 PM

ok thank you i look forward to your input. cause i really would like to know more about this. before i go and waste my money for something that may hurt my car when i go to drift.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

HAHA, drifting hurts your car. Its one of the worst things you can do with your car. RB series motors are all built strong. RB25 is prob your best bet if your going that route.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

also first thing id do b4 putting the RB in is

1 check compression b4 and after you buy
2 change spark plugs
3 change timing belt
4 change waterpump
5 id change oil pump but im not sure because i think they are like $900 for RB's
6 new clutch and flywheel.
7 new oilfilter and oil
8 new transmission oil
9 inspect the motor for any hard or cracked hoses and replace if needed cause it will be a ***** once its in the car
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=S13NismoDrifter;386012]the rb can't weigh that much more. and i don't want a sr cause everyone with a 240 and a swap has a sr20 in it. rb's can't be that bad for drifting i wouldn't think but i would like experienced people to info me lol.

Oh so now im not credible...hmmm gotcha haha

And If you think 160lbs isn't a lot of weight I suppose your correct.
But I personally know drivers who fight to cut ounces out of there cars I couldn't imagine you telling them that 160lbs isn't that big of a deal haha.

But I also know that you can buy the mckinney motor mount kit for the rb from enjuku racing dot com that will help center the weight of that long monster.

I understand that people want to do things no one else has done but you also have to realize that its 2009 and people have been doing this for over 20 years. Most of its already been done haha.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

^bingo

its all been done. just put your spin on it... a rb20 is nothing more than a cool way of saying you have a skyline engine. Its older technology.. but you can make it work for you... its nothing special,,,,, ill tell ya.

now all i had to say about the rb20 vs the ka is.... i have drifted and i know guys who can drift the hell out of NA stock KA's trust me... worry about your suspension, bushings etc before you even dive into the engine bay.... a "fast" unbalanced car will get you no where fast brother.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 AM

You mean noobs should focus on the balance, handling and over all driving ability of the car before power? What a concept . . .
Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM

yes i understand suspension and handling comes first thats why i have it done first. i blew my de motor and want something else. i know the stock NA can drift like crazy i have seen it done. i am no expert at drifting but when it comes to holding drifts for long periods of time the extra power i am looking for will help me to keep the car out of traction. and yes drifting is the worst thing for a car, when i said hurt my car i met in a way that will hurt its overall performance while drifting. i could give 2 craps about the car lol as long as it can do what i want it to. and for those who want to know on my suspension/brakes/etc here is what i have for the car as it sits without a motor.

Greddy Rear Strut Brace
Whiteline Front Sway Bar
NISMO LSD
Megan Racing Coilovers
Tein Tie Rods
All new Suspension Bushings by Energy Suspension
Cross Drill/Slotted Rotors
New Brake Pads I think there Hawks I can't remember
Rear Upper Control Arms

I can drive my car and am not a official noob. Just to the motor swaps, cause i have been running KA's in all my 240s for years and right now its hard as **** to find one in good shape or find at all. Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM

How many drifting events have you done?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

1700 dollars buys you a full forged kit from ams web site

another 200-300 dollars for machine work.... and you and some motor heads could assemble that KA faster than a Lego set.

power is not everything bro... ask an 86 guy.. the power is only going to be a band-aid.

its cool that your suspension is worked first... sorry i didn't know the specs of your car before i said that.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM

i know power isn't everything but i figured if i wanted to get more power it would almost even out in the cost. plus i cant find a ka24de anywhere, i mean i live in a crappy area for s-chassis cars anyways the ones they have they dont want to part with or they total it and don't want to part it out and the last thing i need is another 240 sitting in my yard lol. so you think i should just stick with ka's cause if i do a ka i want to boost it at least eventually.

Quick Reply: opinions on rb20 in drift car