General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

p/s,a/c delete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

oh Meng, Vinnie is gonna get married soon. No more sexy parties hahah.
No but seriously thats awesome bro, congrats on that. Just no little Vinnies yet
Old 04-07-2007, 01:13 PM

RYGUY awesome link about the clutch fan ... im puttin mine back on thanks!

oh and i always take the AC out of my 240s when i get them. powersteering can stay for now but maybe in the future?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy
I have electric fans but theres a guy who makes a strong argument that its pointless to get rid of them. Clutch fans only operate when the car isnt moving.
Here we go:
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efanmyth.htm
Ryguy that myth is a stupid argument.
For one reason clutch fans are completely inaccurate. They don't disengage when they are suppose too. If they don't disengage the inertia eats up HP from the belt driven. The more devices that are strapped to a belt assembly eat up HP by actually disturbing the harmonics of the crank shaft assembly. The objective is to get the least amount of equipment off of the belt system to reduce what is called LOAD. Less belt slap the better the harmonics are at increasing high end HP, and low end torque. Now I don't make this stuff up 4X4 guys do it to increase low end torque and drop LOAD from the belt driven, in order to provide enough torque to all 4 wheels and it has been proven time and time again. Dropping LOAD increases fuel efficiency/MPG which is something he completely failed to mention.
Number 2 you guys should study what hot and cold spikes are that actually change the A/F ratio's, from the ecu depending engine coolant temperatures. Electric fans are much more accurate, and efficient than a clutch assembly ever could be. Now if I have a thermostatic switch that activates at 175~206*F constantly there is a much more controlled environment in the A/F ratio's.
3rd reason is that guy is stupid in his whole argument over AMP draw at up to 35AMP load at start up. My Flex-A-Lites take a constant 19AMP start up, and the fuse used is a 30AMP MAX peak draw and it doesn't blow.
If I have a problem with AMP draw I simply upgrade to the Nissan Axcess alternator which is a 110AMP current over the stock 240sx 90AMP current. Besides the majority of the drain is on the battery, when the engine is running AMP current is supplied from the alternator, which at idle it barely uses any AMP draw to run the ignition system.
Overview: the guy that did that dissertation of a clutch fan benefiting is stupid, and his information is invalid and not truthful.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-07-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

"Clutch fans are a myth put out by the liberal elite to partonize and demean the working man!" No, really Vinnie, thanks for re-justifying my electric fan lol.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 PM

"Clutch fans are a myth put out by the liberal elite to partonize and demean the working man!" No, really Vinnie, thanks for re-justifying my electric fan lol.
Not a problem I wasn't going to make a correction or rebudle on the position until I read this..
Originally Posted by frosti108
RYGUY awesome link about the clutch fan ... im puttin mine back on thanks!

The whole deal with clutch fan assembly's is that they are literally phasing out of the OEM car manufacturing market. Fact is the guy that probably made that dissertation of CRAP probably works for a clutch fan manufacturer or something like that. It's just all crap politics, but facts are facts, and more of the car manufacturers are now moving to electric fans for there increase in fuel economy, and added power. That is a FACT.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-07-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
The whole deal with clutch fan assembly's is that they are literally phasing out of the OEM car manufacturing market. Fact is the guy that probably made that dissertation of CRAP probably works for a clutch fan manufacturer or something like that. It's just all crap politics, but facts are facts, and more of the car manufacturers are now moving to electric fans for there increase in fuel economy, and added power. That is a FACT.
Well, also 90% of the cars on the market today are front wheel drive, and a clutch fan probably wouldn't be too efficient on a transversally mounted engine.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-08-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

F-ck Front Wheel Drive.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Well, also 90% of the cars on the market today are front wheel drive, and a clutch fan probably wouldnt be too effieient on a transversally mounted engine.
350z's and G35's come with electric fans and they are rear wheel drive. I even believe that corvettes use electric fans now. Impala ss of the mid90's use electric fans and electric water pumps. I don't think any beefy v6 or V8 sports car to date uses a clutch fan. The only thing I see them on are trucks, because production is cheap. Here are pics to prove it!!!
VQ35HR (350z,G35, and teh GT-R)
Name:  VQ35HR.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  52.1 KB
Corvette Z-06 LS-7 motor, NOPE don't see a clutch fan here either..
Name:  LS7_1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  17.9 KB
2005 super charged chevy impala LS-1 block you can see the electric water pump and no clutch fan (claim is that the water pump, and no clutch add's 15HP to the wheels of the LS-1 impala, well that and it's super charged for another 50+ HP...LOL)
Name:  chevyssenginebay.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  133.7 KB
Hmm... I even think Toyota is making a statement what do you think???
Name:  2jzeng1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  82.3 KB
Hmmm even Honda's rear wheel drive F20c doesn't use a clutch fan...
Name:  F20cengine.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.2 KB
Even this pimp KA24de uses an electric fan....(Oh just kidding thats my beater car...LOL)
Name:  FALinstall2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  40.2 KB
Name:  FALinstall1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  35.4 KB

Fact is for rear wheel drive OEM performance there are no stinken' fan clutches, there freakin garbage...LOL

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-08-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM

i didnt bother to read the entire thread, but if you plan to delete your PS, i hope you have an SR. KA's use the PS pump to tension the water pump belt! now you CAN delete it, but you have to make an adjustable idler. retain the PS tensioner bracket and put the AC idler pulley on the PS bracket. this way, you can still adjust your water pump belt.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

yeaup you can do either or.....

I happen to delete my entire AC system at the time..... so i used my p/s pump. and it has been going for 4 years... just make sure you cap it off and like every year just run some fluid through there...

I am however getting an A/C idler now just to clean things up someone after this long time.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, Im with Vinnie. Down with the Belt driven fans. EDIT: (meant to say out)

Last edited by RuizXIII; 04-08-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RuizXIII
yeah, Im with Vinnie. Down with the Belt driven fans.
I think you meant electric driven..... It's out with the belt driven, and in with the electric....LOL
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Im wasted. Sorry. That is what I meant.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Vinnie I wasn't arguing with you. I was just trying to say that since they had to develop them for front wheel drive cars the technology was more avaliable and manufacturers had them in their parts bin for rear wheel drive cars.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Vinnie I wasn't arguing with you. I was just trying to say that since they had to develop them for front wheel drive cars the technology was more avaliable and manufacturers had them in their parts bin for rear wheel drive cars.
I'm not arguing with you either. I just made a correction. You made it look like that electric fans are in almost all Front wheel drives, which is pretty true, can't argue with that at all. Another fact is that for the past 15years almost, electric fans have been implemented in almost all vehicles whether it be front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Common trucks and SUV's by the standard to save on production costs use the clutch/belt assembly still. With every manufacturer claiming or boasting that there vehicle gets better gas mileage than the next vehicle, we will be seeing more and more electric rather than the clutch/belt driven fan, along with hybrid vehicles. I also keep up on the stock market and Toyota, and Honda with there electric/gas hybrids are dominating the market place. Electric is in, belt driven anything is out, well accept for super charging ..

Quick Reply: p/s,a/c delete?