General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Passed Smog W/ No Cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:04 PM

Passed Smog W/ No Cat

i sold the exhaust that i had before and bought a GT spec from this guy i know. well...the damn bolts on my cat were rusted, so i went crazy donkey kong style on it and stipped a freaking bolt off...so the exhaust and the cat were off....the bolts connecting my cat and my exhaust were fine...easy...but messed up the other ones...
aite...well anyways...i picked up the Cat to drill out the stripped bolt....when i looked through the cat, I LOOKED THROUGH THE CAT~! i had nothing in there....empty space...
if i remember correctly...i passed smog w/ no problem when i got my car...
ok...yea...well i was just excited to find out that i have a straight pipe AND i passed at the same time~
maybe thats y my cars louder than some of my friends

the GTSPEC i LOVE IT...but the silencer didn't do much...still pretty loud...well for some people....to me...ITS PERFECT...if not better w/o it...
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

And what engine do you have?
Old 05-17-2004, 10:17 PM

You're in for a surprise, what you looked through was the resonator. The real catalyst is located directly after the header.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:33 AM

ok man....im sure i know what a resonator is...
this is a cat....it bolts one to the header and the CATBACK...plus its under the drivers seat And it says calsonic....
SHOOT me if i make a stupid mistake like that...

oh btw its a KA24DE dah...i want RB...when i smogged it...it had NASTY *** clumpy oil and NO coolant... thats how i bought the car....took me a week b4 i knew i didn't have coolant'....i was wondering Y my engine sounded like a desiel....
Old 05-18-2004, 02:34 AM

oh....btw...hyjnx..what car are you going to get?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by ahnyoungboi
oh....btw...hyjnx..what car are you going to get?
he got a miata
Old 05-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13 240
he got a miata
Yep! Had it for about a month now. Today I say good bye to my old 240sx...my friend is buying it.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 AM

Ok, you have the header, then there is a buldged pipe that is directly connected to the header flange. It is not parallel to the ground. It runs under the center console and is located in front of the driver seat. I took my whole exhaust off a few weeks ago when I put my HKS on. The cat is connected to about 1.5 feet of pipe, after the pipe there is the resonator (which looks like a cat) I have no idea why Nissan designed it that way, but they just did. Trust me, you would NOT pass emmisions w/o a cat.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by thelinja
Ok, you have the header, then there is a buldged pipe that is directly connected to the header flange. It is not parallel to the ground. It runs under the center console and is located in front of the driver seat. I took my whole exhaust off a few weeks ago when I put my HKS on. The cat is connected to about 1.5 feet of pipe, after the pipe there is the resonator (which looks like a cat) I have no idea why Nissan designed it that way, but they just did. Trust me, you would NOT pass emmisions w/o a cat.
ok....what is that~...thats such a worthless resonator...y would they do that? so...if what u say is right....theres no reason to buy a straight pipe.... but....there could be more than one cat...my max has 3 along w/ others, which is obvious....but...if ur car is like that too...then.....dah...im so confused
Old 05-18-2004, 09:09 PM

well....y do you think i got so excited....i thought that was a cat
Old 05-18-2004, 09:12 PM

o....and y would they sell aftermarket high flo cats to replace that "resonator" dont tell me its for people Sr20...cuz thats just stupid...u already have a illegal motor, y spend more money to buy a cat? o sorry for the tripple post
Old 05-18-2004, 10:35 PM

It's not stupid, in some states they just have emissions testing, not a visual inspection.

And trust me, what you thought was a gutted cat is just a resonator. And no, I don't know why Nissan did it the way they did it. And no, there aren't 2 catalysts on the a 240.

Last edited by thelinja; 05-18-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:47 AM

aite....ill take ur word....but...man...i got all excited over nothing....wat a POS
Old 05-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

okay everyone.. ill clear things up..

on my S14.. when i changed out my cat to a test pipe.. that ish was empty too.. i believe all others (exept 91's) are empty too because the people at nissan ferked up and put different, more powerful cams in em.. and thats why they had to put that 'honey comb' stuffs in em..

so with my knowledge.. if you change out to a test pipe and find that your cat is empty.. you'll pass FO SHO!!

and its like this

< front
==[ ]========[ ]=====[ ]=
....cat.............res.........exhaust

hope this clears things up a bit...
Old 05-20-2004, 10:47 PM

isnt' it
X=====[ ]===[]=====[]====[____]=
header cat thing resonator muffler
?
so....if you say it like that...i have 2 resonators b4 my muffler...
you can't even call that a resonator...theres nothing to baffle the sound...unlike the other ones...w/ chambers w/ or w/o packing

Quick Reply: Passed Smog W/ No Cat