General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Plugs are too hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Plugs are too hot

The yellow circle shows where the plug wires have melted to the plug themselves. Anyone else have this problem? How do you solve it? I'm running Bosch single tip platinums with regular Auto zone OEM wires. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:27 AM

haha omg dude that has happend to me and the when i would go to pull the spark plug wire the whole wire would just rip and i would have to re-order plug wires all the time... i have no clue why it happens i never solved it cuz didn't really seem to care cuz my engine was on it's last leg due to a bad rod knock
Old 07-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

juss wonderin, howd u find out about this prob? i got Bosch Platinum 4's in mine and i wanna know if itll give me trouble
Old 07-02-2005, 10:28 AM

but i think there is some lube or grease that your soppse to use around the plug so that doesn't happen. but dunno someone else can help ya out there.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:09 PM

yeah I think I've gone through like 3 sets of spark plug wires. I found out about this because my 2nd cylinder plug wire kept creeping up. That tells me two things first that I'm an idiot and forgot to take out the washer from the first plug the last time I did a tune up or that my plug is backing out of it place and I'm losing compression. So I went out to take a look and when I pulled the wire it fell apart in my hand.

The electrical grease will fix it. I didn't even think about that. What's funny is I'm an electronics tech and that never crossed my mind. Thanks

P.S slidin240 you shouldn't have a problem after using the grease.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM

ohhh boy... your losing compresson dude.. take my word!!! my plug 2 wire did the same thing cuz my cylindr 2 lost compression and week later rod spun for cylinder 2..... your having the same problem i did sounds it.. take it easy on the motor and do a compresion test.

Last edited by SHIFT_Sideways; 07-02-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

o ok cool i got that grease with the plugs
Old 07-02-2005, 12:48 PM

jfrederi01, just try the grease stuff first and see what happens but i dunno i used the grease and the plug 2 wire still kept poping back out for me and my reason was well what i said in the above post.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:33 PM

alright I went to Auto zone and got new plugs and wires. Mmmmm
Iridium. I applied the grease too so we'll see. I'll do a compression check tomorrow, it's about to rain here. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:14 AM

cool let us know how things worked out and how the compression is.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Alright compression results are in:

1st: 175
2nd: 165
3rd: 170
4th: 175

while that isn't bad. #2 is still 10% away from the other 3. Makes me wonder when It's going to go. I'm not too worried, I have another KA in standby right now. I just planned on building it up before it went in. Oh well.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:36 AM

try to use some of that bar's leak engine repair fluid stuff. it is made to restore compression.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Re: Plugs are too hot

Originally posted by jfrederi01

The yellow circle shows where the plug wires have melted to the plug themselves. Anyone else have this problem? How do you solve it? I'm running Bosch single tip platinums with regular Auto zone OEM wires. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
That is caused by moisture and static electricity......
I think the plugs are fine.......
Use some lube next time.......
I'm using kragen autolites and bosch platinum 2's no problems here.
Also check out you distributor make shure it is set at the required BTDC, unless you have moved it yourself. I see this problem happen when people think they know what there doing and advance/retard more than 8degress on the distributor......
Old 07-03-2005, 10:35 AM

I have not touched the timing but that doesn't mean the person who had it before me didn't. I'll check it. I did use the lube and this morning when I went to test the compression, the wires tore apart. Pissed me the **** off. I did learn that you can get your money back though if you use that lube. Autozone will refund it.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:36 AM

I have not touched the timing but that doesn't mean the person who had it before me didn't. I'll check it. I did use the lube and this morning when I went to test the compression, the wires tore apart. Pissed me the **** off. I did learn that you can get your money back though if you use that lube. Autozone will refund it.

P.S. the FSM says that you can have a difference of up to 14lbs between each cylinder. So the compression is fine.

Quick Reply: Plugs are too hot