General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Old 12-01-2002, 10:57 AM

Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Sup all, I am a Honda transplant and still have a daily driven low 13 sec. civic. I am really getting tired of sweatting if my car will still be there when i get back so I figure it's time for a change.

I'm here to learn more about the 240 scene and basically I want to know what kind of prices I'll be spending(or should be) for certain mods. Here a few questions i would like to ask you guys:

A) is a 92+ 240 is the best?

B) fastback or hatchback? If so, what kind of prices?

C) SR20det(t), is the twin turbo really better?

D) that sylvia front end looks bad-***, how much would that cost.

also what kind of $$, as far as motor install, what's the difficulty involved: I've swapped many hondas before and am somewhat mechanically inclined, what kind of time does this project require?
Old 12-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Even though I'm not too happy about answering this, I will anyway because I'm a nice guy.

OK, there are 2 different gen 240's. S13 and S14. S13 was sold from 89-94. The S14 was sold from 95-98. As for which year is the best, thats a matter of preference. Some ppl like the S13, others the S14. The fastback is the hatchback, its just two different ways of saying it. For a good S13, expect to spend about $1500 for an older one, and upwards of $3500-$4000 for a newer one. The S14's will go for anywhere from $5000 to $14000 depending on who's selling it and where. Some ppl know what they have and raise the price, I've seen the 97-98's go for that much. A 95-96 will basically fetch the $5000-$8000 range. I've never really heard of the SR being twin turboed. Which Silvia front end are you talking about? The S14(97-98) version or the S15(99-present) front end convo? The 97-98 will run you about $1400 with parts from the dealership. The S15 will set you back about $3000 maybe a little more depending on who you go to. Also the install, painting, and labor involved is not included in those prices.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Silvia got most of it... but one last thing...
Originally posted by sinister
no such thing as a twin turbo sr20. There is the sr20de, which is non turbo... and the sr20deT (only 1 T) which is turbocharged.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:38 PM

these are my motor options:
sr20det
ca18det
sr20gett(this is the one i thought was the det"t")

of those three which is the most popular, what are the benefits of either/or?

what are the optimal years to purchase?

Sorry for sounding like such a n00bie, but this is foreign territory to me and a search did'nt really address my Q's, I'm ready to spend the $$$, just want the right combo
Old 12-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Well cross off that SR20GETT one. Never heard of that motor. Both the SR and CA are great motors in their own right. You can't go wrong with either of them. The only thing I feel the SR has over the CA is accesibility to stock replacement and/or aftermarket parts. Theres just a lot more stuff on the market for the SR. If your a noob and aren't sure of whats what, I would suggest holding onto that money until you feel you are more versed in Nissan motors and what you would like to do. Don't just jump on the bandwagon persay(sp). Do your research, hang out on the boards and get a feel for everything. Then make your decision.

The CA was relatively unchanged over the corse of its lifetime. Although I'm not exactly a CA guy so I could be wrong. The SR has had some changes over the years though. The S13 SR will often be refered to as a Redtop or Blacktop SR. The Redtop is just an older SR. Nothing more. It was the first to replace the CA. The Blacktop is the newer one, and came in a lot of the 180sx's over in Japan up until 98. Both the Red and Blacktop's came with 205HP and 187ft.Lbs. The S14 Blacktop was used in the Silvias from I believe my year 240(95) up until 98. It produced 220HP and 205ft.lbs. The 99 and up Silvias were also Blacktops, and produced 250HP and 221ft.lbs. The older Red and Blacktops utilized a high port intake design. The S14 and S15 came with VTC, or variable timing, similar to Vtec in Hondas. These SR's used low port technology. Some ppl claim that between the low port design and the added VTC to the newer SR's, that makes the older ones the better choice. This is an open debate, and is all based on opinion. The S13(red&blacktop) SR's use a T25 turbo. The S14 & S15 use a T28 ball bearing turbo.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Originally posted by sinister
A) is a 92+ 240 is the best?
B) fastback or hatchback? If so, what kind of prices?
D) that sylvia front end looks bad-***, how much would that cost.
also what kind of $$, as far as motor install, what's the difficulty involved: I've swapped many hondas before and am somewhat mechanically inclined, what kind of time does this project require?
A.) the '89 -'90 240s were SOHC and made 15 less hp. the motor swaps are slightly more difficult for these cars.
B.) i'm pretty sure you meant the fastback or the coupe (this applies to the s13 only, the s14 was only offered as a coupe)- the coupe is about 50lbs ligher and is stiffer. it is often called a sileighty b/c it has a 180sx front end and a silvia rear. the fastback is a usdm 180sx and, arguably, better looking .
C.) go here- http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/ and here http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1851

Originally posted by Silviaspeed
The S14 and S15 came with VTC, or variable timing, similar to Vtec in Hondas.
while the VTC does somewhat compare to the Vtec, it is more like Toyota's VVT, as it is continous variable, unlike Vtec which is at a set RPM.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

don't forget about the HE-MEN of nissan engines
the RB's
you can drop an RB in there and crack *** all over the country
SR's are no match for the R33 RB25DET
Old 12-02-2002, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Originally posted by spitz7985
. it is often called a sileighty b/c it has a 180sx front end and a silvia rear.
since when?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Originally posted by spitz7985
it is often called a sileighty b/c it has a 180sx front end and a silvia rear.
Not to nitpick (sp?) but I think you mean that the usdm s13 coupe is sometimes referred to as a "OneVia", being that it has the One-eighty SX front end (w/pop-up headlights) and a Silvia rear. The "Sileighty", on the other hand, is quite the opposite (i.e. silvia front end/fixed headlights with a 180SX rear).

I hope this clears things up!
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 AM

So basically the most mod friendly years to go with are ~92-95...?

and also thanks everyone....I really apprecate all the help, I will certainly use the info and research this further. The transition from Honda to Nissan is going to be exciting...although I think I'll still keep the Hatch just for the track
Old 12-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

91-93 would be ideal since 94's were all auto converts and 95 was the first year of the S14
Old 12-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

For a car to modify, I'd go with a 1991-1993 S13 hatchback. They're cheap, and they're usually at the age where a lot of stuff is due to be replaced anyway - so you don't have to have any second thoughts about spending the $$$$.

There is not SR20DETT, or GETT - so we can eliminate that option. If you're new to Nissans go with the SR - it's common enough to have support. There are few people in the US knowledgeable about the CA18DET, and parts are also harder to come by (although some may interchange with the CA18DE that came here in the Pulsar NX of the late 80's - early 90s')

The S13 Silvia front end can sometimes be bought in good shape on a front clip containing the SR20DET. Getting them this way is kind of rare, but can be done. If you're buying the motor and the panels, see if you can find a clip with useable lights / fenders / hood. The lights are the wrong beam pattern for driving on the right hand side of the road - you'll be shining into oncoming traffic, which is rude and obnoxious.

-Justin
www.saltgod.org
Old 12-03-2002, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
Not to nitpick (sp?) but I think you mean that i like to have gay **** sex the usdm s13 coupe is sometimes referred to as a "OneVia", being that it has the One-eighty SX front end (w/pop-up headlights) and a Silvia rear. The "Sileighty", on the other hand, is quite the opposite (i.e. silvia front end/fixed headlights with a 180SX rear).

I hope this clears things up!

yeah, i guess i was wrong. time to stop believing everything i hear.

what car has a silvia front end and a 180sx rear?
Old 12-04-2002, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

A Sil-Eigty has a Silvia front and 180SX rear.

Despite rumors that keep popping up - NONE of these were produced by Nissan.

-Justin
Old 12-04-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Justin.b
Despite rumors that keep popping up - NONE of these were produced by Nissan.
There were a handful of sileighties produced. Nissan saw the trend of the old school drifters doing these conversions so they decided to capitalize, only 400 or so of these cars were made. Maybe even less im not sure as of the real number. O yeah... and the Sil-eighty and One via are the same car, just to clear that up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q's regarding 240's...I'm a n00bie