General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Questions on Drift setups

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 AM

Questions on Drift setups

Basically I want to know what the best setup for a 90 model would be for the least amount of money.. I am looking to spend at the most 7 grand and this is at the most. I am looking to create a ride that could be competitive in competitions. Please any feedback would be great.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

dont you want to choose how to spend your own money?
drifting is ghey
Old 10-05-2006, 09:04 AM

drifting is one thing the police dont know how to do in a high speed chase
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by pourinitup
drifting is one thing the police dont know how to do in a high speed chase
Because they dont have to. They can just use spike strips and RoadBlocks....Drift around that..

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

why do you want to drift anyway...what a waste of money and tires...and talk about the wear and tear on your car...
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by zenkislider
why do you want to drift anyway...what a waste of money and tires...and talk about the wear and tear on your car...
For one thing, Drifting takes a lot more skill than drag racing does. You could teach a monkey how to change gears and he already knows how to drag. As for the wear and tear on my car, not to mention replacement parts, I realy dont care about that. Drifting just looks like a blast to me, so I am realy interested in trying. Now lets try this again. What is a basic setup for drifting?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 PM

Just find a local drift event/practice, go there and enter with your car stock, talk to people, see if they will let you ride with them. There is no l33t drift set-up, it will mostly be personal preference.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

my advice is to start autox before you drift, you will learn to use oversteer to an advantage at cutting run times... not to mention auto-x is 5x cooler
Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM

just get the biggest aluminum spoiler you can find and put it on there.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM

Get familiar with HPDE before you start drifintg. Somebody told me that you will learn so much about car control and how your particular car drives. Most drifters have a huge background in HPDE.... With that being said, invest in some good coilovers.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

how about you drift before buying a setup...you buy to your style...not drift to your setup.

and who the hell said anything about drag racing? i sure didnt.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Thanks for your posts guys, only thing is I dont know if we have any drift events where I live (Knox, Tennessee). And Im the one that mentioned drag racing dude, I didnt mean it to offend anyone directly.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

first off, fix what is broken/worn out on your car, a few good ideas may be: subframe spacers, coilovers, sway bars, wheels and tires. just watch drifting on your computer, read on it, go out and practice.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

like spencer said autox is a great way to not only learn how to drift, but also to learn how to drive your car PERIOD...i tell everyone the same thing that tells me they know how to drive...the first time you go compete at an autox event your abilities are going to almost double in the one day from what they have been since you have been driving..you cant drift if you cant grip, thats all there is to it, when you grip drive you learn how to make your car intitiate a slide as well as retain it and bring it back into control...once you have learned the feeling of your car then it is time to work on more upgrades...im not saying dont do nething to your car though, i am completely for modifying your suspension and other components before you COMPLETELY learn how to drive because they are going to play a big role in how you drive your car, just make sure you invest in a good set of coilovers that have dampening control as well as height adjustment..

Like yuta said fix the things that are wrong with your car first, then i would concentrate on suspension, drivetrain, and cooling because those are going to be your bigest issues while tracking the car.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:29 AM

as other people said fix what is wrong first then get suspension, drivtrain and cooling. drive your car got to local events even if you don't enter ask question. they will all help giving you advice. next watch drifting. there many diffrent styles of drifting. i recomend buying the drift bible. it shows diffrent methodes and tips for starters. they way you drive your car will tell you the setup you need for your driving style

Quick Reply: Questions on Drift setups