General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

rear wheels bouncing pt.II

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 AM

rear wheels bouncing pt.II

Hey so I got my tokico blue's installed and the eibach sportline's on this weekend, and man do I HATE the ride now. Wow it is f***ing horrible! I bounce all over the freeway and road. My rear end still bounces if I try to slide it, or iff I go over rough ground. It feels like on turns if I catch a median bump, my car goes to the side and jumps forward. The body roll is defenitely down, but when I puch on the trunk the car bounces like four or five times I really hope they just installed it wrong. I 'm going back there today after class and seeing what they have to say. Oh yeah, I pushed down on a lowered Scion tc at school and his car was stiff as ****, almost no rebound I thought my car would feel like this after I got $1000 worth of work done grrrrr. OK so are the tokico blue's just pieces of crap, is there something elses I should have gotten worked on? They didn't really take a look at it, I just asked for new struts and they basically put in the eibach/tokico set-up. Oh yeah,when I come to a stop my car bounces as it settles.
Advice or help
Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM

What is the drop on the eibach springs? Did you also get the rubber mount and assembly changed on the rear? What is the condition of your sway bar bushings? Has any thing onthe front and rear sway bars been replaced??? Your ride shouldn't be that bouncy if you have the KYB's or the Tokico's, both are to be generally pretty good quality struts.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-15-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM

There the sportline's,so I have 'bout an inch space in the wheel well, and no I don't think they changed the rubber amount assembly on the rear, would that be included on the strut raplacement or if I do get the rubber mount assembly changed will this "theoretically help me out?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 AM

I don't want the shop to dick me around like, "Oh yeah you wanted the struts, so we replaced the struts, you didn't say....."
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by onevia
I don't want the shop to dick me around like, "Oh yeah you wanted the struts, so we replaced the struts, you didn't say....."
Yeah man I wouldn't let them dick you...
But it sounds like the kind of bouncing you are talking about is mostly from the rear.... Right?
Pretty much when you put on new struts, usually you are supposed to also replace the rear strut caps, as well as all the rubber that has been worn down.... The parts are pretty cheap at about $25 a strut...... You should also take a look at your sway bar bushings, they could be worn as well. If the sway bar isn't stabilized one wheel can bounce around more than another......
Technically it is unprofessional of them not to tell you at all that the rubber needs replacement, it should of been included with the outrageous install rate they charged you...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-15-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:28 AM

thanks, the shops kind of here and there, they hook-up the after market "what I want parts", but I don't think you get the best service if you're not Ludicrous or some celebrity, they got there pics on the wall of work I guess they've done for them in magazines.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:30 AM

Yeah alot of the bouncing is in the rear, it is also really loud on bunces, like a violent shuddering
Old 08-15-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by onevia
Yeah alot of the bouncing is in the rear, it is also really loud on bunces, like a violent shuddering
Sounds like metal to metal contact on that shuddering doesnt it....
Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah it's awful, it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Iwould replace the left and right rear rubber mounts. You can buy them for $4.00 a piece. It will stiffen the strut and spring, will allow for less bounce, and more resistance between the spring and strut......
Sounds like your original rubber is extremely worn.....
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Is that a quick job? Would I have to take off the strut assembly to do it? No tools, Not familiar with it.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 AM

The whole rear has to be disasembled again. But atleast it will work oput the kinks you are having with the rear.... The rubber you want is the one displayed in the bottom half of the pic.
If I were you I would pull it apart your self, get some jack stands. Take pics if there is any damages...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

damn,I'm gonna talk to them now
Old 08-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Just confirmed from my friend Rollyn that owns a H22 Prelude, and the 91 Toyota Supra.
He has delt with both of these situations.
On his Honda Prelude he is using the Tokico Blues, also labled HD. He is using the stock springs which have been cut. He says that his suspension doesn't move at all, says that the chassis weight of the s13, and the prelude are relatively the same. S13 weigh's about 180lb.s more than the prelude.
On his Supra he would do figure 8's and donuts alot. Finally the right rear of his suspension gave out, said the rear right would pop up and bounce, it just needed new rubber rear mounts, and everything was fine after wards.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-15-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:11 PM

One of my 240's has this issue. It sounds like the exact same problem. The guy I bought the car from thought it was bad rear struts, but to me it sounds more like the subframe bushings on my car are gone. If you figure out what exactly is wrong with yours be sure to post and I'll check mine out.

Quick Reply: rear wheels bouncing pt.II