General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Removing the Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:25 PM

Question Removing the Flywheel

I cannot get the darn thing off. I have tried everything except an impact wrench. Do I need an impact wrench or is there another way. I don't have one so I was hoping to avoid having to spend the money to rent one or buy one. Money is very tight right now. Also are the flywheel bolts reverse threaded or threaded regularly? Is it lefty loosy, righty tighty or is it righty loosy, lefty tighty Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah it is a '92 240 with a KA.

Chad
Old 04-06-2003, 11:27 PM

100% of the cars I have seen are standard threads and as far as getting those off. you knew I was gonna tell you to buy an impact wrench, so go get one (you'll use it later). It shouldn't take more than 100 ft lbs. to break them loose. A cheap Wal-Mart impact wrench will work or an Ingersol Rand will be money well spent... Other than that you can use a pry bar to hold the flywheel while you have another set of hands to break the bolts loose. the second way you are more prone to breaking some knuckles and getting really pissed off at your car. IMO
Old 04-08-2003, 03:43 PM

You think a Wal-Mart one would break them loose? As far as I know all their impact wrenches are electric ones. I did find someone with one of those small air tanks (not sure what psi it pushes but I know it isn't much). You think that will work if I can find an impact wrench? Oh and my knuckles are all busted up and I am pissed at my car already But once I get this new flywheel on I will be happy with it again.

Chad
Old 04-08-2003, 08:08 PM

I was saying like the pneumatic ones that Wal-Mart sales. Sounds like your best trying to find a flywheel wrech (looks like a spanner wrench) and a breaker bar, and something to give you more leverage and a stout friend. Unless you want to invest in about $200 worth of tools that you would love. A compressor that will get about 120-150 psi should power any normal impact wrench. Of course, you need to get a 1/2 drive impact wrench. Or, method Z... hehe, you can use a torch (propane or similar) and heat up the bolts pretty hot and try to loosen them then. Or, use penetrating oil (liquid wrench, WD40, etc.) and try to loosen them, but be careful if you combine the two. Instead of buying a flywheel wrench, you might have a way of jamming the flywheel up with a screwdriver (maybe from the backside), I don't know if 240's have anyway of jamming it, but that's how I normally do it, just don't bend or break and studs or strip out any holes. if you need some more assistance you can IM me at pingkamikaze. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 PM

a cheap way

This is how I got my flywheel. I do advise you to use this information at your own risk. First I pulled the engine out and placed it on an engine stand. After stripping the engine down to the block. I took a long screwdriver and stuck the flathead part down through one of the six holes in the flywheel then the big handle was of course on the other side. I turned the flywheel until it stopped. Then took a breaker bar with the socket and mashed down on the bar with my foot to break the torque. Then repeat the above steps for the remaining five bolts. I do recommend going with the impact wrench to save time and energy, but you will at least need a breaker bar, so that you don't break your rachet.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:48 PM

Buy a "Impact driver" kit from somewhere , there cheap , you put a socket on it and smack it with a hammer to break loose the bolts , It should be under $20 for the Impact Driver this is something like you need http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20763