General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Roll Cage ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Roll Cage ?

I'm building my car to Formula D specs.. and was wondering if it is ok to to put the two front points of the cage coming down in front of the dash to the floor.. ror do I have to remove the dash and mount them behind it? thanks in advance!!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

one................... how many ameture/pro am drift events have you competed in and won?

two................... the latest rules are on FD web site via PDF
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM

have you competed in a drifting event?

if not, you may want to consider that before even thinking FD, otherwise you'll just waste money and embarrass yourself.

-Dave

Last edited by USMCDrifter; 12-28-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

he said he was building a car to FD specs he didnt say he was going to be driving it lol
Old 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Why else would you be building a car to "FD Specs"?

Either way, my big bro is right, the information can be found on the Formula D website.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:06 PM

I go to local drift practice, and I wanted to build a cage to spec.. I've read the PDF and It does not specify whether it can be in front or behind the dashboard... which is why i asked. Why flame on threads when asking questions is what these are for? Don't procrastinate.. just a question.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 PM

http://proamdrift.com/PROAM_2008_Rulebook.pdf

End of thread, if you actually DID read the PDF, then you would know the answer to this question. No one here is a Formula D driver, Biggamehit and I are the closest to THAT and we're both no where near it. No one here organizes Formula D events, myself and Fries are the closest to that and we have never gone beyond the grassroots level.

To get the answer to your question, you'd be better suited checking out a website devoted to drifting on THAT level. While Pro-Am and FD don't have forums, a good forum for reference is www.drifting.com. They're a bit ricey, but I'm sure a quick SEARCH on their forums will tell you everything you need to know about setting up your car. This forum is where the "celebs" of drifting often post.

www.drift411.com has an awesome forum for information as well. While the forums aren't exactly "active" there, the people of concern, Marty, Rhoad Racing, ChadMk4 and a range of others have been at THAT level and can help you out a ton!

You jumped on to a random forum and asked how to setup your cage. Not only that, you're relatively new, no one here knows you, no one has any proof that you've ever done anything outside of donuts in your local parking lot, of course people are going to be a little skeptical of your intentions as MOST people who ask questions like that are just fanboys and show-goers who want the LOOK without any of the action. Provide a little bit of background next time to avoid hardship, it works, trust me.

In addition, you really have to realize that, at least for Biggamehit and I, we see a LOT of people join this forum and ask about drifting. One thing we've ALL learned is that:

-Real drivers don't ask questions like that, not on a forum like this anyway. They KNOW the forums to go to in order to receive a proper response or they know who to contact. While trying not to seem boastful, I know I don't know the answer to that, but I know people that can at least point me in the right direction to GET an answer to that.

-It's usually the people who have no intention of drifting, have never drifted at an event and are only street drifting and want their car to seem "serious" or "cool" who ask those sorts of questions straight away. It's rarely the active driver as most ACTIVE drivers are more concerned about driving, suspension, chassis and precision as opposed to rollcage, lighting and power.

-IF, and this is a huge "if", you were going to do any Formula D driving, you would already know your rollcage requirements and what you can get away with. You would know thicknesses, gaging and cross-structure requirements. It really is a case of, if you don't know what it is, you don't have it and don't need it.

Before I posted my previous comment, I did a little research on you, I didn't find anything in your background, not posted up online anyway. Start posting pictures or videos of your events. That will save you a lot of having to "defend yourself" and will allow for people to take you more seriously when you ask questions about rollcages for Formula D a professional drifting series.

-Dave
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

To the OP, In no way were we trying to flame you. If you see this as flaming, ...... well you must have not visited other forums. if you were to ask this question else where..............well you would have been shown what flaming is.

I pointed you in the right direction the first time. Batt im well aware he was not looking to compete in FD...... And as stig said, even if he was, a person that had the skill and know how to compete at that level would not have asked a question like that.

For the record an FD spec car doesn't bring you FD spec skill.

that is all. work on the basics and build up from there.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by PGH240
I go to local drift practice
thats a good start
my advice, if your new to drifting or any form of racing for the matter, start with the car stock, learn your car, then start adding on to it
progress WITH your car, dont just throw a bunch of crap on it an expect to be better

as a rule of thumb its about 80 percent driver 20 percent car, and sumtimes thats even a bit much towards the car