General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Shifting techniques / advice for a new stickshift driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Shifting techniques / advice for a new stickshift driver

Well, I didn't see a thread quite like this, so I thought I'd make one. Plus I'm curious as to what will follow, because I myself am new to driving a manual. And yes, I realize that this is my third thread on this page, so if it seems like I'm being a post *****, sorry. If there is a thread like this already, link to it and we'll end this right there.

Ok. Like I said, I'm learning to drive a stick. It's quite a painful process. My car has 150k on the odo, and I have no idea about the last time the clutch was changed. But I think it's been a while. I get the concept of the whole matching revs and heel-toe (or ball-edge, whatever you want to call it) shifting, but putting it into practice is another story entirely. Anyway, here are the problems I'm having...both mechanical and technical.

1) Clutch pedal seems to change point of engagement. It now engages a lot further up than it did when I first got it. Now, granted, I've done some stupid things...like starting off in 3rd when I thought it was in 1st...and revving to 2.5k and dumping the clutch on accident. So I'm sure that knocked it out of whack. How do you adjust the point the clutch engages?
2) Car lurches in 2nd and 3rd when you're not giving it gas, and/or at low rpm.
3) Motor sometimes bogs in neutral, goes as low as 600 rpm, feels like it's going to die. Car normally idles at around 1k.
4) I can't quite seem to figure out how much gas to give to get it to go from a stop. I have to let the clutch out extremely slow, or else it lurches.

So. Any suggestions? Or further comments?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

address no 3 first. could be timing, plugs, injectors, o2 sensor, idle control, pair valve

no 1, theres a screw on the abse of pedal itself that pivots the rod into the firewall.

no2, prob worn clutch

no4, its all just geting a feel for the engine and clutch. every car is different. i stall in my friends civic when im designated driver for the night. as soon as you feel it engage, apply gas lightly and let out clutch smoothly. take out the clutch dampener too, it really helps.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Seems like you are basically suffering from HAVING A 240 SYNDROME.

They are torquey down low, especially KA, and without subframe spacers and other suspension upgrades, it is no surprise that the shifting seems kind of "lurchy".

Doesn't necessarily sound like you are doing anything wrong at all.....on a car with 150,000 miles, everything's not exactly super tight
Old 10-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Haha, yeah, I figured someone might say that. Subframe spacers eh? Where can I get some of those? And what qualifies as "other suspension upgrades"? I know the car has 150k on it, so it's not going to ever feel like a new car again. But the lurching is really annoying, and I'm sure it can't be good for the drivetrain.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 PM

First off, if you're new to driving a manual gearbox, I'd suggest learning the basics before getting into macthing revs and heal-and-toeing (although doing so will save wear-and-tear on the car, especially the clutch).

1) Clutch pedal seems to change point of engagement. It now engages a lot further up than it did when I first got it. Now, granted, I've done some stupid things...like starting off in 3rd when I thought it was in 1st...and revving to 2.5k and dumping the clutch on accident. So I'm sure that knocked it out of whack. How do you adjust the point the clutch engages?
re037 addressed the adjustment. But, this does tend to happen as a clutch becomes worn.

2) Car lurches in 2nd and 3rd when you're not giving it gas, and/or at low rpm.
Every manual I've ever driven lurches when going from 1st to 2nd gear (at least a little bit) when the shift isn't done with careful precision. It happens because the differences in ratios in those gears is longer than any other. 1st gear is for starting, so it's intentionally made to be a very short gear. All of the higher gears are just for "driving".

But 2nd-to-3rd lurch is atypical. This could be related to your worn clutch changing its point of engagement. Because that point is becoming further-and-further back (towards you, away from the engine) the timing that you need to have between taking your foot off of the clutch and putting your other foot back on the gas is also changing. If your clutch is slipping, this would make even more of a difference.

3) Motor sometimes bogs in neutral, goes as low as 600 rpm, feels like it's going to die. Car normally idles at around 1k.
I don't think mine ever idles that low, but it does kind of shake about when I rev it abrubtly from idling speed. Not sure if that's what you meant.

4) I can't quite seem to figure out how much gas to give to get it to go from a stop. I have to let the clutch out extremely slow, or else it lurches.
Like re037 said, every car is different. You just need to get used it. If I'm driving an unfamiliar manual vehicle, I'll just rev it to 2,000 RPM (generally a safe guess), let the clutch out very slowly and ride it for a second or so until I've "adjusted" to it.

Last edited by epp_b; 10-17-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Epp, it's not that it lurches when I'm going into the gear. (Actually it does, but not as bad.) It lurches when I'm already in gear and let off the gas to slow down slightly. Also, about the idling, I'm talking about when I'm sitting at a light, or otherwise stopped. I'll put the car in neutral and let the clutch out to save wear on the clutch.

Also, I forgot to mention that the car bounces around / lurches when going over speedbumps. I have to push the clutch in to keep it from doing this. I'm guessing this is typical of 240s with higher mileage.

Oh yeah, since I'm probably going to need a new clutch by the end of the year...got any recommendations?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Alteus
Also, about the idling, I'm talking about when I'm sitting at a light, or otherwise stopped.
this is happening to me right now too. although im not sure what is wrong with it. i myself is new to 240s and im not so familiar with all of the sensors. but the members of this forum say that its the iaa? valve or something? and the fuel pump. i havent checked what code the ecm shot out yet so i myself am lost. also my cars engine will shake like its going to die when i rev it too and it dies out of nowhere just like that.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM

The lurching when you accelerate then take your foot off the gas is DEFINITELY something that can be fixed with subframe collars.

Cheap and easy to install! I just put them on my car.....I HAD so many suspension mods..,Rear camber arms, coilovers, front and rear sway THICK sway bars, tie rods, tie rod ends, pillowball upper mounts, traction rods..etc

....and STILL I was getting the lurching....

Go to splparts.com and go to 240sx, under suspension, then under subframe and diff bushings.

You want the SPL subframe bushing collars....if you get new bushings, it still will be kinda lurchy, and if you get full aluminum bushings, it will be pretty harsh.

I installed these in 40 minutes....sooooo easy...

Now when I floor it and take my foot off the gas to shift, the car coasts smoothly rather than having the rear subframe smack into the rest of the car (this is the lurchy feeling you are having)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Wait a minute...you just said that it can DEFINITELY be FIXED by subframe bushing collars...then you said that it will still be kinda lurchy. So I'm confused. It'll fix the lurch if I use the stock bushings, but if I get new ones, it'll still be there? That doesn't make much sense to me. Haha.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Alteus

Also, I forgot to mention that the car bounces around / lurches when going over speedbumps. I have to push the clutch in to keep it from doing this. I'm guessing this is typical of 240s with higher mileage.

Oh yeah, since I'm probably going to need a new clutch by the end of the year...got any recommendations?
i think that is is just you bumping the gas pedal, if you have it in a low gear going slow and you bum the gas pedal, the car will shake, and you unintetionally bump the pedal again causing it to keep doing it.

you could stop that from happening, by the easiest way, what u said, disengaging the clutch
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM

**** it, rev it up to 5,000 rpms and dump the clutch, **** the lurching, **** the bucking, rev it and dump it...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Haha i did that once at a red light rev it up to 5500 and i almost lost it.Got to love rainy day.Anyway dont know if its the same problem i have so i'll try to describe it the best i can,when i go over a bump or railroad it feel like somebody push the car roughly in the back just the back,i also have 4 wheel steering (super hicas)could it be something loose or my suspension is gone or going?Is it normal because of the 4 wheel steering you guys help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up

There is a difference between the bushings and the aftermarket aluminum collars....

I am saying if you just put new bushings in, it won't help that much....

If you put the collars on, it WILL make a difference!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by s13 240
**** it, rev it up to 5,000 rpms and dump the clutch, **** the lurching, **** the bucking, rev it and dump it...
Hell yeah!!! I had to learn to drive clutch in my turbo MR2 and when I first bought it I was on a hill and there was a cop like 3 cars behind me, I keeped on stalling and the other cars were honking so I said **** it and reved it up to like 5,000 RPM's and dumped the clutch. The cop didnt even pull me over when I laid down rubber, I guess he new I was a beginner.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 PM

Haha that reminds me of a time I test drove a supercharged miata. It was one of the first times I had ever driven a stick. The entry back into the dealership was a huge uphill incline...that car was ****ed up and didn't like to be in the low rpms, so I kept stalling it in the driveway. Then I said screw it and revved it and dumped the clutch and laid some rubber down right in front of the dealership lol. We just said "thanks" and left.

As far as my car goes, I'm starting to get the hang of it. But I don't have a whole lot of rubber left on my back tires, so even if I dump the clutch at 3k on accident they're going to spin, guaranteed. Oh and barcode, it's not from me bumping the gas. I had my foot completely off the gas. It's the same thing whysp is describing basically. Anyway, I'm going to buy some subframe bushing collars and hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Shifting techniques / advice for a new stickshift driver