General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Should I sell my 240? :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:30 PM

Unhappy Should I sell my 240? :(

Hello guys, I own an automatic 90 240sx fastback and I don't know whether I should sell it? I bought the car cheap because the side has been hit. I already went to a local body shop and its going to be 1200 to fix.
Option A
-fix car, manual conversion
Option B
-buy another 240sx already stick

I love 240s and would like to do a sr20det in the future so I don't know what to do since income tax $ will be coming soon. I go to an automotive school so I am mechanicaly inclined.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:29 PM

dude sell the whip. buy another 240 like a 89-93 drop a sr20 in it clean up the out side and u can have a hell of a fun car for relitivly cheep
Old 12-19-2004, 10:13 PM

keep the car and buy another one. use the one you have now for parts and what ever parts you dont need sell them and make some cash from it.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 AM

car of choice makes a good argument... just drive the automatic till you got enough for the new car cause i can bet that you wont find your new 240 right off the bat enyways... plus parting out your car will get you a pretty good suplly of cash and then extras for when you **** up and do something to your new 240
Old 12-20-2004, 12:47 PM

Personally, I would keep what I've got and work with it. There so much more satisfaction in knowing YOU built your car. Just replace the parts for your car yourself and then repaint the car. When your ready, swap the front clip and do the necessary conversions.

You won't have instant results, but you will have ultimate satisfaction in knowing that your machine is YOUR machine.

Plus 240s are rare...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by djisagoddess
Personally, I would keep what I've got and work with it. There so much more satisfaction in knowing YOU built your car. Just replace the parts for your car yourself and then repaint the car. When your ready, swap the front clip and do the necessary conversions.

You won't have instant results, but you will have ultimate satisfaction in knowing that your machine is YOUR machine.
I totally agree. The things that I'm trying to do to my car are getting done more slowly than I'd hoped, but I'm learning a ton by doing the work myself. Plus it's fun.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:02 PM

Yeah I'm in the same place you are. My driver's side got hit today, the entire side is damage. I spun out making a hit the front end turning 90 degrees into the inner lane and someone coming out behind me in that lane driving forward and smashing right at me. I'd say my car is only worth a grand or a little bit more. I'd say damages exceed the value of my car, other wise nothing is wrong with her just body damage. Blah, Julie is just sad and I"m just venting. What to do now? :*(
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 PM

to both of you questioning keeping your vehicle, Look at the car itself, you both know by now what is and isn't wrong with your car for sure, if its only body damage it may be easier fixing the body rather than getting yourself into a whole new vehicle that you dont know what problems you may encounter, its pretty common for most almost 15 year old cars ya know... secondly ya wont have to worry about finding another car, registering it, transfering insurance, getting it inspected, (that all costs money too) and then sell your old car...

cliff notes; i personally would carefully assess the cost of repairing versus the cost of selling and buying another... and make sure you have a cushin to fix any small things that may be wrong with the new vehicle if you chose to go that route.

Last edited by Kasirus; 12-22-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 PM

nice input... verry good.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 PM

thanks for the advice Karius. i get emotional, haha. the logic thing to do is im going to take it to the adjusters tomorrow hopefully, pay the $200 deductable if it is fixable, if not I might have no choice and it may be classified as total loss in that case I'll have to get a new car. Either way I won't be selling my car that's when autopac comes into play.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

keep and get another. work on both like me and get in over your head. its worth it though cause now i got an s14 rb25 and an s14 sr20,.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I think I might just keep my car and do a tranny swap and maybe wait for other mods. Question? What do you do first engine swap or suspension?
*** If anyone would like to sell me the tranny please feel free to offer?***

take a look at it: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518565/3
Old 12-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

depends. is it running well? if not maybe go for the swap. if so do suspension and just keep the engine well maintained. i swapped my engine first thing. then i did a vlsd from a skyline, then power upgrades, now im on suspension and brakes. i think brakes should be high on the list. i only did mine last cause i wasnt going to drive mine till i got almost everything done. now im at that point.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

if there's no frame damage, work with what you've got. bodywork is only cosmetic, and cosmetics can always be fixed (look at, um - girls with no breasts).

Old 12-26-2004, 03:05 PM

It's got no frame damage so I have decided to keep it now I am looking for a tranny and an lsd. LSD because I am in New Jersey so I know Its going to snow and I don't want my car beign stuck. Hopefully the all weather Yocahama tires will help.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 240? :(