General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

So heartless

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 01:50 PM

Unhappy So heartless

My baby blew her head gasket last weekend, so this weekend, Im doing a heart transplant. this is after a total of about 4 hrs of work by myself, except for the last hour where my g/f helped to get the motor out of the car

the one to the side is the new motor 41K on it, the one in front is the bad one

Hopefully the transplant will be finished before the day is over
Old 09-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

How did the rest of it go?

Looks like a real fun job, lol
Old 09-04-2004, 09:38 PM

your girl helped???? my girl pretty much says "me or the car", i tell her "the car"
Old 09-04-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by djradam
your girl helped???? my girl pretty much says "me or the car", i tell her "the car"
thats how you do it damnit
Old 09-04-2004, 10:50 PM

it has gone really ****ty. It was going great, even got the new motor installed, and wired up. I tried to put the TC bolts in, and i found that the motor wouldnt turn, so I put some oil in it to see if it has just been sitting too long. still, its not turning. it seems that something in the bottom end seized up. everything in the head seems to be lose enough to at least start to turn. So it looks like I just bought a siezed motor. Im pretty pissed right now, but I put some more oil in, and am letting it sit overnight. hopefully it will lube up the bottom end enough so that it will at least start turning.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:54 PM

hope it works out man
Old 09-04-2004, 10:57 PM

if anyone has any advice on how to unseize a motor, let me know. I dont think it was from starvation, i think its just from sitting so long
Old 09-05-2004, 12:16 PM

as i am unknowledgeable of most automotive things ... seizing would happen if the parts just "dried up" , right?

and let's say someone else was in this situation, would you do anything to make sure it's not seized before you drop the engine in?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:46 PM

seizing without it being from a part going bad (broken chain, bent rod, etc..) would be from rust. basically either the piston rings rusted to the walls from the motor sitting so long and not being turned over or even rotated, or its possible the crank and rod bearings rusted up from the same thing. I dont believe its the rod bearings or anything in the crankcase cause there was oil in the crankcase when I got the motor. so I'm assuming they were lubed. but the piston rings werent. i went up to autozone, and they suggested i put PB blaster in there over night and let it soak in. So i just emptied out a **** out of it into each cyl. if it drains through, and it still doesnt free the motor up. Im dropping the oil pan, and checking the crankcase to see if the problem is in there