General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

speed meter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:18 AM

Exclamation speed meter

I need some infor on this two items. I wanna get a speed meter on my car and don't know whick one to pick and the are two of them. The Blitz Power Meter ID and APEXi Rev/RSM Speed Meter,
Does any one know whick one is better. Thank.

The Blitz Power Meter ID
http://www.autoimaging.com/shop/inde...=50825&cat=61&

APEXi Rev/RSM Speed Meter
http://www.enjukuracing.com/srperfor...lectronics.htm
Old 10-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

they both seem like good products. i've never had any experiance with em.. alot of people talk about the apex i unit. thats all i know.

others around here can probaly send you in the right direction.
so i'll be watching this thread closely to see the word. my speed limiter and i don't get along well
Old 10-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
they both seem like good products. i've never had any experiance with em.. alot of people talk about the apex i unit. thats all i know.

others around here can probaly send you in the right direction.
so i'll be watching this thread closely to see the word. my speed limiter and i don't get along well
I would go with the APEXi unit. I know people who have banished their speed and rev limiters with it.

The only problem/question I have is if the user can reassign new limiters. If not that leaves a great deal of responsibility in your hands. It could lead to you redlining your car at a point were damage can occur.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

i feel you on that one Stan. when i drive i find myself hittin the rev limiter. i feel like my car can rev to 15,000 rpm.
with no rev limit you would see my thread askin if anybody had an extra KAE for sale.
the apex'i unit does seem to have more features. but with blitz-you can link in with other controllers
Old 10-21-2002, 06:19 AM

apex'i

thank a lot. I think i might go for apex'i. I want to time my 1/4 and see how much Hp I have. It think it will be cool.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: apex'i

Originally posted by doua
thank a lot. I think i might go for apex'i. I want to time my 1/4 and see how much Hp I have. It think it will be cool.
I came up with a stupid question on the way to work today.

Ok we banish the speed limiter. We get to rev the car the same in hopes of it going faster.

1. What is the rev point when 115 is hit in 5th gear?

3. How much more speed are you going to get out of the car by eliminating the speed but not the rev?

2. Our hit peak hp at or about 6k so why they heck are we going to want to rev it more?

Bottom line: Are we really going to go faster by removing the speedlimiter without doing more ECU and engine mods.

Anyone have concrete answers? Maybe firsthand experiences?

I count like Konsei.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

AFAIK, the Apexi unit does not remove the rev limiter.

It can remove the speed limiter by lying to the ECU or just cutting the signal - the speed sensor signal is not critical to engine operation, and the ECU does not adjust fuel/spark according to road speed.

RPM on the other hand is a critical parameter that the ECU uses to tune fuel and spark. You can't just stop giving this signal to the ECU. If your car is hitting Xrpm, then the ECU knows - that's how the plugs fire at that RPM.

The only way to remove the rev limiter is to change the hard-coded limit in the ECU itself or go with a standalone setup. I don't know of any piggybacks that will allow you to change a hard-coded rev limiter.

-Justin
www.saltgod.org
Old 10-22-2002, 02:33 PM

Well now i think it is a bad thing to remove the rev. After all why it is there for,
Old 10-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: apex'i

Originally posted by StanBo
I came up with a stupid question on the way to work today.
Ok we banish the speed limiter. We get to rev the car the same in hopes of it going faster.
1. What is the rev point when 115 is hit in 5th gear?
3. How much more speed are you going to get out of the car by eliminating the speed but not the rev?
2. Our hit peak hp at or about 6k so why they heck are we going to want to rev it more?
Bottom line: Are we really going to go faster by removing the speedlimiter without doing more ECU and engine mods.
Anyone have concrete answers? Maybe firsthand experiences?
I count like Konsei.
in 4th gear at the speed limiter i am not quite redlining (but i have an s13 so it revs to 6900 w/o redlining). in 5th gear at the speed limiter, i am in the powerband. but 5th gear has a rev limiter at ~5400 rpms (put your car in 5th, push the clutch in, and rev the engine) so the top speed would not be increased very much.

honestly, i'm kinda glad the top speed limiter is there. it keeps me out of trouble. i'm sure i would try to top my car out all the time and set new personal records in my car. i would end up getting caught sooner or later. its not like i race my car for top speed anyway. when i start running really fast 1/4 mile time, then the speed limiter will have to go. but not till then.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: apex'i

Originally posted by spitz7985
in 4th gear at the speed limiter i am not quite redlining (but i have an s13 so it revs to 6900 w/o redlining). in 5th gear at the speed limiter, i am in the powerband. but 5th gear has a rev limiter at ~5400 rpms (put your car in 5th, push the clutch in, and rev the engine) so the top speed would not be increased very much.

honestly, i'm kinda glad the top speed limiter is there. it keeps me out of trouble. i'm sure i would try to top my car out all the time and set new personal records in my car. i would end up getting caught sooner or later. its not like i race my car for top speed anyway. when i start running really fast 1/4 mile time, then the speed limiter will have to go. but not till then.
Makes sense, thank you.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

well you guys do what ever it is you need to do to stay out of trouble!
i'll remove the speed limit on my car once and for-all
I may need to go that fast to stay out of trouble!. i like to drive fast at the risk of serious injury to myself. i dont drive wild at rush-hour, dont go there

the fifth gear ratio is way bigger then 3 or 4. there is pleanty of mph's left after 5400 rpm.

ok?
we will have speed
Old 10-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

vvrrrroooooooooooommm............................. ....................
Old 10-23-2002, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Stock S13 gear ratios will get you to over 150mph before hitting red line in 5th.

A stock 240 will not be able to get to 150, with removal of the speed limiter they max out at ~130.

-Justin
Old 10-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Justin.b
Stock S13 gear ratios will get you to over 150mph before hitting red line in 5th.

A stock 240 will not be able to get to 150, with removal of the speed limiter they max out at ~130.

-Justin
130 aint bad. I used to drive at my Jetta's max for long times when I had it.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

i like 150 mph
cops will be hesitant to give chase at 150mph. so will everything else for that matter. except mabey the random Mclearen

Quick Reply: speed meter