General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Speedo/ gauge cluster mod?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:45 AM

Question Speedo/ gauge cluster mod?!?!?!

I searched and I searched and I couldn't find what i am looking for.
I currently had the experience of what most of you already have went through. My digital speedometer on my 93 coupe went out. I got the file about changing a capacitor but that failed. I have an electronic background but I know this is gonna be costly since it the actual display.
Soooooooo, I was wondering if anyone has done the mod from digital to the needle gauge speedo. And if anyone has can you point me to the right direction?!?!?!
Or do I have to replace the whole speed sensor to the actual gauge cluster?

I notice with this car when it comes to electronics, your gonna go through a hassle.

Any input would be a great help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 AM

Get the analog cluster, and the harness that connects it to the harness behind the dash
Old 05-16-2006, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by s13 240
Get the analog cluster, and the harness that connects it to the harness behind the dash
is that all i need? And what years are the analog clusters?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:37 AM

you could also possibly see about replacing the guage cluster for your car... possibly could find some on E-Bay used.

I had to do that in my car cause all but my gas guage went out on me for my car.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 AM

For the analog cluster, since you have an DOHC S13, you can get a analog cluster from a '91-'94 and you should be ok, just don't forget the harness directly behind it to make it work. Should be an easy swap.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Thanx for the info. I'm gonna go look for one now. I'll post pics if this works! LOL! Maybe a, "How to" ?!?!?!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Well, I spent the day looking for a gauge cluster, digital or analog needle. Searched junk yards Auto shops, parts stores. I asked shops if they repair them and they all told me they don't know anyone who does and basically to go to a dealership!
I'm not into spending that much money.
Does anyone know if there is a vendor or anything like that out there? I googled and ebayed it but only found 1! Its like someone is saving all the 240 cluster or something! LOL!
Does anyone know of a shop or retailer? I'm pretty much looking for the non digital gauge cluster. This digital crap is killing me!!!! Aghhhh!

Last edited by ramnailz; 05-17-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Check different forums to find someone parting out an S13, has to be someone with a cluster for ya.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 AM

Yeah, i contacted some on other forums and tried on this one. So far no one has responded.
I found someone selling one on ebay. I got to find a harness now. If i don't then its time for some re-wiring. Funny, after doing the capacitor test I ran my car this morning and my check engine light went back on. gave me the wonderful 1-4. Speed sensor. If its not one thing its another! I guess I did more damage than good. I'll do a write up on it when i get the parts in and take nice picks for all the do-it-yourself-ers!
Oh and thanx for the info, without the input i would have just quit already. peace out!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 AM

Lightbulb here

i've got the h.u.d. in my 89 coupe factory and it went out on the previous owner and he got a replacement from the dealership and paid $400.
my buddy however bought a hatch that had the anolog cluster but the dash had been replaced with a h.u.d. dash leaving him with a big hole in the top of the dash. we went to pick-n-pull(wrecking yard) got the whole cluster h.u.d. unit and full wiring harness. make sure you look way back and get the whole harness at the connector. anyways we got the whole deal for $45.00 and it works just as good as mine does.
i have yet another buddy who has a 89 coupe as well however his did not come with power anything or the heads up display. he found an 89 coupe in a wrecking yard that had the full setup in it he took all the same parts we did but did not follow the wires all the way back to the connector not knowing and cut the wires. spliced his wires to the wires he had and his unit doesnt work. all wires are in the right places but it doesnt work. i tried the compacitor thing still it wouldnt work. orderd two different ones from e-bay with full harness and neither of those work.

So. basicly good luck

but heres a site online that sells most of anything you could ever want to need for yourcar stock wise. but i already searched it to gauges for you so.? enjoy! http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...92&catalogid=1

Last edited by Dounveeme; 05-17-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 AM

Thanx man, i found a couple of sites like that but they have no pics of the parts. Now when you say way back you mean inside the dash right? not all the way inside the engine bay right?