General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

steering shakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM

steering shakes

Sup everyone! I notice that the steering wheel shakes while drving, is it a aligment problem? Any experts here can answer it?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Could be balance problem or aligment. Is this during acceleration, coasting/cruising or brakeing
Old 08-10-2004, 08:23 PM

maan i had a big problem with driving and wheel shakin. i did alignment.. balance.. rotate.. all that crap - nothin helped.

i discovered on my own that my front rotors where not aligned properly. and it created shaking while driving. especially when braking.

do this:
- get the wheel off (front, any side). but first, raise the car up =)

- get the brake caliper off. you need to unscrew 2 big screws on the back of the caliper. its gonna be really hard..

- after you unscrew them, the brake caliper will get off the rotor. and put it aside so it doesnt touch the rotor.

- now spin the rotor itself. if you notice at least a slight shake, or you notice that the rotor kinda spins criket.. thats the problem.

- take the rotor off, and put back again. now take the 4 lugs, and screw them to the rotor. hard. that will make the rotor get in his place.

- take the 4 lugs back out, dont touch the rotor. put back the brake caliper - and the wheel.

- repeat the procedure for the other wheel. that should fix the problem.

sorry for writing too much. lol.

-

Last edited by DRiften; 08-10-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM

Also check out the tread on your tires,if theres metal showing theres the problem.Also check your tie rods for leakage.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 PM

It almost shakes all the time, except braking! But I can not really feel the shakes on freeway(high speed)! So what is that?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Check everything/do everything listed above
Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Check everything/do everything listed above
Old 08-11-2004, 04:26 PM

well already told you what to do. now take it from here...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:15 AM

I'll have to check this out also. I have the same problem with my 96 exept it is only from 60 to 70 mph. Before and after that it is smooth as can be, even when breaking.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by DRiften
maan i had a big problem with driving and wheel shakin. i did alignment.. balance.. rotate.. all that crap - nothin helped.

i discovered on my own that my front rotors where not aligned properly. and it created shaking while driving. especially when braking.

do this:
- get the wheel off (front, any side). but first, raise the car up =)

- get the brake caliper off. you need to unscrew 2 big screws on the back of the caliper. its gonna be really hard..

- after you unscrew them, the brake caliper will get off the rotor. and put it aside so it doesnt touch the rotor.

- now spin the rotor itself. if you notice at least a slight shake, or you notice that the rotor kinda spins criket.. thats the problem.

- take the rotor off, and put back again. now take the 4 lugs, and screw them to the rotor. hard. that will make the rotor get in his place.

- take the 4 lugs back out, dont touch the rotor. put back the brake caliper - and the wheel.

- repeat the procedure for the other wheel. that should fix the problem.

sorry for writing too much. lol.

-
Really, all you would have to do is properly torque your lugs in the proper pattern. As far as measuring rotor run out, spinning it isn't the most precise method. Go rent a micrometer from a kragen or something. Measure the rotor in three different spots. I'm not sure the specs for the 240, you may have to look it up, but the measurements shouldn't be more than .003 off. If they are, simply take your rotors off, and have them turned/resurfaced.

It can also just be your alignment. Whens the last time you had one? A good four wheel alignment couldnt hurt. Also, go under the car, and check to see if any of your steering compenents are worn. Check bushings etc... Get under the car, and keep the wheels loaded (on the ground), have a friend turn the steering wheel lock to lock, and check that the steering compenents are all moving in sync.

It seems like a lot of work, but it will take you about a hour MAX, to check all this.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:47 PM

from what i've read it seems like bad balance...alignment wouldnt make the car shake i dont think...it would just pull to the right or left...

i noticed in my car it kind of shakes around 100-110km/h....which is like 60-65...if i speed up it goes away...but i havent bothered to fix it because its a very minor shake.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:35 PM

could be alignment , tension rod, or tie rod
Old 08-14-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by fist
from what i've read it seems like bad balance...alignment wouldnt make the car shake i dont think...it would just pull to the right or left...

i noticed in my car it kind of shakes around 100-110km/h....which is like 60-65...if i speed up it goes away...but i havent bothered to fix it because its a very minor shake.
Exact same speed zone my 96 shakes. If I go closer to 70mph it clears up so it is tolerable.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM

Have any of you guys checked to see if your wheel is bent?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:07 PM

Not me. Haven't had time to do anything yet. I will check all of these things in time, as I get some.

Quick Reply: steering shakes