General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

strut tower bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 09:09 AM
Regulate

strut tower bars

I asked this question in another forum, but I'll get input from the people on here too.

What is the difference between all the front strut tower bars from different companies. I've noticed huge differences in price, from the cheapest (under 50 dollars, like APC) to middle range (60-80 dollarsOBX, Arospeed) and higher end (over 100, like Apexi).

What makes some bars so much more expensive than others? Weight? Sturdiness? Looks? Performance? Bottom line: are the improvements and quality of an expensive strut bar worth the price tag over an inexpensive one? Would I feel a 20 dollar performance difference in an OBX strut bar from an APC bar?

The reason I'm asking this is because I've heard people say APC makes crappy products, but if I'm not going to feel a difference in handling from that and a more expensive bar, then I'd be willing to save the extra couple bucks. As long as they don't snap or something.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if you posted on the ********** board, but anyway the difference is that the cheaper ones are more of a universal fit and can more or less be adjusted to fit any car with the same bolt pattern on top of the strut.

The more expensive ones are made to fit the 240 exactly with no adjustments needed. I myself have the OBX and will be changing over to the Apex'i or Cusco. The adjustment always comes loose and my reason for changing over. It did make a difference when it was so my recommendation is to buy it once and spend the little extra money.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:55 PM

What makes some bars so much more expensive than others? Weight? Sturdiness? Looks? Performance?
All of the above.

Usually the more expensive ones are a thicker (stiffer) bar. You will notice a difference in any stb you install on your car. Which one you want really depends on you personally and what you are looking to do with your car. If your willing to spend the bucks, I would recomend JIC (about $250 ea) but if you want a good budget stb then it seems alot of people go with OBX.

JIC can be purchased here.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

leiferik, thanks for the link.. they got all the hot sh*t. they got my lights and all that. i owe you
Old 08-13-2002, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Spend the money now. If you have it. There is nothing like trying to sell used parts that other people know are not the best. OBX is cool and all but their parts might be a hard sell when you run into some loot and upgrade.

Plus do you really want to do the work twice?