General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Teenager? Support on Drifting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 AM

Teenager? Support on Drifting.

As i began to drift away from English, I began to think, "How many teenager's are actually supported or "ok'd" with their parents or family or siblings, NOT FRIENDS by the idea of drifting."

Im 17 and purchased my own 240 just soley because Drifting started to appeal to me. After watchings hours of video's, pictures, read about techniques and set up my dad started to realize i was getting into it.

Pulled me over to the side and gave me "the talk" no not the sex talk, the "dont do stupid sh*t with your car" talk. How its pointless, harms the car, law, etc etc. Does anyone out there actaully have any kind of support or do your parents even KNOW you attempt/perform these stunts?

Just write down how old and ur story.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 AM

18, and my story consits of its stupid and pointless and even though i got bored of jackass street stuff when i skrewed my 240 up in the summer and rarly do anything funky unless i want to show off, which is nothing but stupid. i personally get constant crap about how i should drive safe and slow to the speed limit... i drive not the speed limit not 747 speeds but faster.. Parents care and they mean well and its true u skrew up your suspension etc... its not worth the repair stuff in the end dude.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

I'm 16 but i prefer to auto-x and occasionallly drag.
I plan to drift in a few years, maybe. As of right now, i'm learning to control first. My mother doesn't support me, my father does, they are split-up.

I have been through a few sets of tires thus far, drifting in lots at night, or when i have spare time, but my mother has no idea. I hide the tired

I used to drive like a jack *** on the street, then i got hit for $320 for doing 62 in a 30mph zone. Since then i'm a conscientious and safe driver. Safe it for the empty lots and racetracks.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 PM

I am 17, been racing since I was 5 in karts, raced SCCA road racing, test drove some race cars, and now have a 240. I autocross, but want to start drifting. I have before just not in my own car. My parents support me, but like road racing more, my dad does not see the point in drifting, my mom thinks it is dangerous to go fast sideways.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

yeah... sideways is not how you wanna be when heading toward something big, heavy, or harder than you are...
Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 AM

I've been working on cars longer than I have driven. I was actually scared of driving the a car until I was 13. But dad made me drive around in a chevette in a feild that birthday. Fell in love with it. I'm now 27, and had tons of cars under my belt already. From 60's Mustangs, 70's trucks and boats (monte carlo baby!), 80's camaros (z and irocs), 80's mustangs (still have some!), mini-trucks, full size 4x4's, 4 wheelers, argos, forklift (gas, electric and propane), cherry pickers, golf carts, and pallet jacks.

If you want a car to go drifting in, don't use your daily driver car. Build a car, correctly. Don't cut corners on anything. Remember, you are building a car to carry you at a high rate of speed sideways. Make it safe, plenty of places can help. Get into some real event, maybe with a local club or chapter of some sort of racing. And don't just do one. If you want to dift, also join up with your local SCCA club. Learn how to control a car going forward at a fast speed, before you start trying to do it sideways. SCCA can teach you a lot about oversteer..
Old 02-18-2006, 03:43 AM

[edited]

always have to be one *** in the bunch per thread, this guy's it this time.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:05 AM

I'm 19

I drive safely and don't do any 'drifting' other than one time that I had a litte accident on an on ramp - that I never told my parents about. The second week my brother had his 240 he had an encounter with some foliage and that really pissed my dad off. So now my parents know I dont drift and they know I drive well, but they get angry when I spend any money on my car.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 AM

Re: Teenager? Support on Drifting.

Originally posted by iamdavor
As i began to drift away from English, I began to think, "How many teenager's are actually supported or "ok'd" with their parents or family or siblings, NOT FRIENDS by the idea of drifting."

Im 17 and purchased my own 240 just soley because Drifting started to appeal to me. After watchings hours of video's, pictures, read about techniques and set up my dad started to realize i was getting into it.

Pulled me over to the side and gave me "the talk" no not the sex talk, the "dont do stupid sh*t with your car" talk. How its pointless, harms the car, law, etc etc. Does anyone out there actaully have any kind of support or do your parents even KNOW you attempt/perform these stunts?

Just write down how old and ur story.
If I were your parent and you are doing this stuff on the street, there is no way in hell I would support it. Anything like this is dangerous, not just to you but to others. There are drift events held all over the country. There is really no excuse to be doing this stuff on the streets when you can do it at a sanctioned event under controlled conditions and legally.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 PM

23... I've f'd up my right side trying to do stuff on the road, it's just not smart... you're hearing it [it's not smart or safe] from people who've done it, seen it, and your parents... at what point do you listen?...

There are hella places to practice and get information on technique, driving schools.. drifting schools... open test'n' tunes, etc... do it where it's safe, not only for safety... but it's WAY CHEAPER!!!! You're not dropping money on replacing bus stops and fire hydrants, or the damaged BMW you 'drifted' into, lmao..

As for getting more support from your parents, It's easy....

You're going to drive, you're going to drive like you're young.... Might as well have a better understanding of how to drive a car. The biggest thing about drifting is having complete controll in an otherwise seemingly helpless situation, There's no negative impact on your driving skills when you're interested in drifting, if you're out there and you're throwing the car around.. you're going to have more confidence and more controll of your vehicle. Simple Fact, however.. your interest in drifting can impact your judgement, in the fact that you see it on tv, the videos... etc and think you can do it.

Just remember the people in the videos have been doing it a while and most have done it [or are doing it in the video] in a controlled environment.

Also, don't only remember the videos where the guy goes 90 and takes a corner, remember all the videos of the PRO's... slamming into walls, drifting into other cars.. etc
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 PM

what parent would actually support drifting on public roads? kinda stupid question if you ask me. unless it was a track, then parents MIGHT consider it.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

16... drifting on roads is stupid, my parents dont support stupid ****. Although my dad loves my car, so that gives me some cushion
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Let me add if you really want to get your parents to support you, take it to the track. Attend all the drifting school/practice events in your area and show them you are truly passionate about it and want to do it safely on the track and will not showoff on the street.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:35 PM

i was editted.... i only said what other people said be safe dont drift on a public road only on the track.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 AM

I think the best way to get them to support you is to bring them to a local event and show them what is going on. I don't know of any parents who would support driving dangerously on the street. I'm 19 and my parents hate it. They refuse to come to events and just think I'm wasting money and all that stuff. To be quite honest, I don't blame them for thinking that. I think most of their hobbies are boring and/or pointless as well. When I tell them that, they just talk about how drifting is dangerous and how it will end up killing me. Personally I think I'm safer on a track then with the general idiots on the streets around my house. Maybe your parents will never really support your hobby but doing it the right way is always a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Teenager? Support on Drifting.