General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Throttle Body Boring for $100

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Throttle Body Boring for $100

Best deal I found for performance mods in a while. This shop will bore and port your stock TB for $100.
The shop advertises mostly Honda's, but I know a few guys that have had there Nissan KA TB's done here.....
http://www.maxbore.com/
Old 11-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

what will that do?
Does that allow more fuel/air into the mix? ... not too familiar yet.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Cape 240
what will that do?
Does that allow more fuel/air into the mix? ... not too familiar yet.
Increases high end HP. Allows for leaner air/fuel ratios. Faster Throttle responce.
Larger throttle body diameter allows more air to pass by the butterfly opening, so technically at lower RPM's the engine is consumming more air, than if it had a smaller opening.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

yeah but how much is the advantage? Is it worth it-- I mean, like 3hp or like 15hp ?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Cape 240
yeah but how much is the advantage? Is it worth it-- I mean, like 3hp or like 15hp ?
If the TB is increased by 5mm from 60 for a total of 65mm, that is about a 7% increase in power through out the entire power band.

The VG30e guy's originally used a 56mmTB, and the KA TB is the upgraded TB for those guy's. With a 4mm increase in TB diameter the VG30e guy's dynoed a 4% increase in HP through out the entire power band.
So in my mind is it worth it to bore the KA TB for $100....YES.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-06-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

hey vin, does that include a new larger butterfly. or is it just bored out on the backside, as in a lot like port matching. cause if it is a change in butterfly thats a good price. might have to do it for the corolla(ka24)
Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 PM

Yeah I have spoken with 3 guy's that have had it done, the butterfly is included. I had this debate with some friends over the accufab TB for the Ford mustang used on the KA, the accufab works on the KA with minor fabbing, but then the price is more at about $220. In my opinion the boring is the best deal at $100....

As stated from the web site.....
Now some information about what it is I do. First, the throttle bodies are dissasembled, that includes all the sensors and all moving parts. Then the throttle body is sand blasted with ultra fine sand. It is then cleaned and all sand is removed. The throttle body then goes to the lathe, where it is bored, then ported and finally polished. the opening of the throttle body gets a taper that begins at 6 degrees then 3 degrees. A new bigger butterfly is made out of brass. It is then carefully fitted to the throttle body. Once the proper seal is achieved the throttle body is reassembled. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is reinstalled using new screws and it is set to factory specs.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-19-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Good find Big V, there really aren't many mods you could do for $100 that actually make that much of a difference. (excluding something like used cams u rip out of a junkyard)

btw, what's a fair price for a used TB for a KA?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Sounds like a good power per dollar ratio
Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo

btw, what's a fair price for a used TB for a KA?
I just purchased a KA TB for $25 with the OBD2 TPS....

Fair price I would say is $40..............

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-19-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:53 AM

hey Big V. if the accufab throttle body can be made to work, then why not get a bigger 70mm or even 75mm unit and adapt it? just curious... i have a 70mm in the garage, but its not accufab. what kind of mods had to be made to it... maybe i could do it and let you know how it worked.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:08 AM

hey Big V. if the accufab throttle body can be made to work, then why not get a bigger 70mm or even 75mm unit and adapt it?

Yeah I am a bit curious about that myself.
Also if you replace your MAF to say 70mm in size would it be recommended to upgrade the Throttle Body to one of equal size?

Last edited by Watashi wa Sake; 11-20-2005 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:25 AM

Well not having much experience with the 70mm TB I really could not tell you to much. But with the 65mm it is as easy as redrilling the holes to work for the manifold mounting, and possibly using the throttle assembly from the KA/SR as well.
The TB you want to look into to use is the 1986-1993 Ford Mustang GT (accufab, BBK, or even a professional products TB) all after market with th elarger TB diameter sizes. This means that SR and VG guy's may be able to utilize these TB's as well, since most are interchangeable amongst each engine.
There maybe problems using the 70mm such as the butterfly, butting to the back of the mani opening. This can be adjusted but more work will need to be fabbed such as Porting the opening to the mani, to prevent the butterfly from butting the mani. Otheres have also just used a TB spacer for this type of applicatioin, and have found it to work well with atomization and swirl. A TB spacer may need to be used I believe the stock Nissan bolt pattern falls within the larger diameter of the TB.

But then you have to look at an equal balance of an NA engine, unlike FI. If the KA is staying NA I would just leave it at 65mm, basically to match up with a 2.5" exhaust for balanced tuning of the engine(for smog and DB testing, you 3" exhaust guys can do whatever you want).
If it is FI I don't see why you couldn't use a 70mm TB, it would probably balance the engine better when using a 2.75" to a 3" exhaust.........

As far as a 70mm being used for a larger MAF I think it would actually compliment the engine better than using a 60mmTB.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-20-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

what about intake size or stock intake .. will it still fit?

Also, i can't loose my car for a week, so if I pull a TB off a junkyard car ... how do i check to see that it is still good, and if its the right type? Like an '89 Fastback to a '91 fastback .. is there a difference? Difference on same engine, or between E and DE ?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:33 PM

your intake woudl still fit since the outside diameter of the TB will still be the same.

Well the 70 mm and bigger units on the stang all use the same bolt pattern. i went from a stock 65 to a 75 on my stang and it was the same. if the 240s pattern is smaller then yeah i guess it wouldnt work if the bolts were in the throttle opening.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Boring for $100