General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Time to blow up scats phone lines....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:52 PM

Time to blow up scats phone lines....

Whats up guys it's time for all of us KA guys to start blowing up SCAT's phone lines. I have done my research over and over again, and the weakest point on rev, and power for the KA is it's halfweighted crank.
Doing my research I came across a company called SCAT. SCAT redesigns cranks for fully counterweighted and knife edge cranks.
Heres the problem.... They don't have the KA crank on file, yet they make hundreds of cranks for Ford, Honda, GM, and even volkswagen.

Looking at the KA in NA applications, or even FI, the KA would be able to produce much more power and have a better power band.
The smoother power band will inevetably allow the KA to rev higher, longer, and with more power than the half weighted cranks. It would produce more torque in the low end, and even more HP in top end.
Honestly I wouldn't mind spending upto $1000. It will make the KA much more of the race type engine that it needs to be, rather than the torquey engine it is right now. What do you guy's think????

If by chance there at least 20members interested in a scat crank P.M me and I can see what we can do with a group buy.....

Heres scats homepage

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/
http://www.scatenterprises.com/
Old 11-17-2005, 06:01 PM

when i get mine i might be interested. who doesnt love more NA horsepower? bigvin u have any guesses as a "fully" weighted crank would gain in RWHP? jus wondering if u have no idea no need to flame

EDIT: oh and also big vin. the KA i would possibly be putting it on has 165k miles. i'm prolly gonna need to do a full rebuild for it to hum like new again. usual list of stuff. anyways it got compression tested and checked out at 162,162,160,161. is it worth ripping apart to rebuild in your opinion based off of compression? if you don't have anything constructive keep flaming subtle

Last edited by xXsilviaXx; 11-17-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by xXsilviaXx
when i get mine i might be interested. who doesnt love more NA horsepower? bigvin u have any guesses as a "fully" weighted crank would gain in RWHP? jus wondering if u have no idea no need to flame
I have no idea what the gains would be, but they are reasonable.
For the KA in NA each bolt on would make increased HP than compared to a halfweighted crank. For FI it can help with increased boosting, and high rev.
It would make the KA a better balanced engine.
For those that are serious on these cranks P.M me....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-17-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:09 PM

alright sweet check my edit/\ and when are you gonna do this?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM

Well we need atleast 20people for scat to take us seriously to make these cranks.
Lets get some people then make some big moves...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-17-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:08 PM

I just emailed scat myself so we will see what happens as to a group buy or individual sale.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

another kick azz find from the BIG V
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
PNG

We've done some editorial stuff with them before. I'll ask my two contacts there at Scat what they think about a KA crank when I see them at the PRI show.

As an aside, they started out as a VW-specific company. They still make some killer parts for aircooled VW's, up to and including complete crate motors.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:59 PM

I'd be interested, just as long as it would be for sale sometime next year because due to Christmas I have no money for me till then...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I have 3 people besides myself so far any one else want to hop in????
Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

what a terrible name for the company, SCAT has a whole new meaning in the **** industry.

Aside from that, I'm down. But like s13 240 said..it's gotta wait till at least april of next year. Xmas is going to put a huge dent on my pocket.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Good stuff Vinnie!

Count me in!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:37 PM

All right then guys I guess the majority vote wants to wait after the holidays. But lets keep this thread going so people know whats up. This should give everyone enough financial planning to purchase a crank.
It will be great if PNG can bring us up to date on any info that SCAT will release.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

I'll buy one if the gains and powerband show at least a decent improvement.

I wont be able to purchase until like June or July of next year, though, and it would be in place of coilovers. But hell, if the power gain shows to be really good, i'm in for next year. :-D
Old 11-19-2005, 02:16 PM

I might be interested depending on cost...im working on a KA-T build right now, and am looking at a making the engine higher revving, which this would help accomplish...as long as its not a rediculous amount of money for it, i would be down after xmas as well...

Quick Reply: Time to blow up scats phone lines....