General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Uninstallation Instructions Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Uninstallation Instructions Needed...

Ok new to the forums, but not the internet. New to the 240's, but not new to cars. Have owned, built, and raced seveal high powered Mustangs in the past, and still own a fast one and a slow one. As well as a CRX (daily beater).

So, I'm picking up my 95 240sx from a friend at work this comming week, along with a parts car. Swapping straight out the KA24 for another engine with less mileage and no leaks. Engine and trans from the donor car are aleady pulled.

Some things I know that I'm going to have to do to the car, a dash swap. How hard is it to get this out? The Mustangs have always been a PITA. Swapping out the dash due to prior blown airbags. I'm going to be swapping the tubular brace/bar that is behind the dash as well (I'll get to that later). Also swapping out the gauge cluster for a couple reasons. One, the parts car has a good OEM cluster with black gauges, and the mileage will match the engine. Two, the cluster in the car has reverse indiglo gauges installed. I'm not big on white face stuff.

Also, the fuse box under the hood needs to be swapped out. The box/fuses/wiring is still good to go, except the mounting tabs are broken due to the wreck this car had years ago. Is this something possible to do? I haven't got into looking and poking around under it yet, but I will soon.

I will be swapping out the engines, due to the fact that the engine that resides in the car now, uses(d) close to a quart a week before the previous owner parked the car. Also when it rained, the car would bog down and start to lose power (ignition system somewhere I'm guessing?). While the engine is out, I'm going to be putting a B&M (I read the thread where someone kept calling it a B&N, I've used their shifters for years, its M not N).

After I pull the old engine, I'm going to do a complete teardown, and start building it with forged internals for about 22-30psi of boost, if the block will hold together.

All in all everything that I -NEED- to swap out, I have in the parts car. I know its just going to take a lil bit of time, but anything that can make all this easier for me with a new car for me, would be great. Tips, tricks, advice.

Oh yea, the car is stock. The only thing done to the car is 18" RSL Black wheels, AEM cold air setup, and DropZone coilovers (don't know the quality on the coilovers, might upgrade to some Billstein in the future). I should have some pics of the car up this comming week.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome..

Go here do download the FSM for the 95 240sx. It pretty much has everything you need to know.

http://72.29.75.31/~videof6/manuals/...240SX_1995.zip

here is the source: http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/24/47/

The block should handle that boost easy, as long as you're using forged internals... it's an Iron block, so it's good to go.

Last edited by lrb_2000; 09-03-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:50 AM

Welcome to the forums

I would definately download the FSM that lrb linked to, it is an excellent source of info for our cars. Assuming your parts car is a 1995 and OBDI you should have no problem swapping the engine into your good chasis. If the new engine is of a newer year (OBDII), you will need to do a little bit more to get it to work correctly but it isn't really that difficult, its just replacing some parts. I'm sure you can replace and rewire the fuse boxes, it'll just take some time like everything else.

Everything should work good man, will just take some time. Good luck with it and keep us updated
Old 09-03-2005, 12:41 PM

Yea, the parts car is identical to the good car. 1995 Base model. The only differences between the two cars, the parts car had an auto trans, sunroof, and trunk spoiler. Other than that they were identical.

I will keep everyone updated with the project. I should have pics of the car up this comming week.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:28 PM

you should be kosher then, good luck with it
Old 09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the dl is all you needs. Helps out with other stuff too.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

FSM answers all problems...like the birth oif the universe and stuff...lol J/k Welcome And take that Drop zone crap of...its well...crap
Old 09-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

ditch the drop zones before you kill yourself. don't even think about aggressinve driving on them.

take a look at the suspension section and you'll find what suits your needs.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

off topic here... but a built DE can run 21psi??
Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

a fully built KA can do 32 ish... DO NOT QUOTE me on that though. BTW Maintenence is a crap load on that... better to use an SR or RB for high horse power IMHO
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

wow, never knew that, thanks wayner... sorry, continue with the unistallation instructions
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by Waynehead05
ditch the drop zones before you kill yourself. don't even think about aggressinve driving on them.

take a look at the suspension section and you'll find what suits your needs.
Are they prone to breaking or something? Granted I'll put something quality on there, like Tien or what not... But I don't want these things falling apart on me.

Granted, this car isn't going to be used for hard driving. If I want to tear up country roads, do donuts, and just flat out haul ***, I'll jump in one of the Mustangs.

This is more or less going to be for me taking trips, toting my g/f around, just something comfortable, quiet, and fun to drive at the same time.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

the reason companies like eibach (sp?) and tein have to charge the amount they do for their product is because they do research and developement in a big warehouse for countless trials. they have a lot of overhead and equipment to figure in. keep in mind that springs are stiffer in some points than in other... yea it ain't nothin thrown together so think about it as an investment. would you rather get the unheard of ebay company's product which is a cheaply thrown together sellable item or get the item that's been tested? what do you think your girllie would say? don't cheap out on your suspention man... if you need to try to avoid an accident do you want your life placed in 32 dollar springs? hell they cost less than new OEM ones from the dealer or any where else you could get them.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:21 PM

Yea, I realize about the good companies. It's the same thing for just about any car product you really look for.

I am a little biased for Billstein though