General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Update: I think I found the problem (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Update: I think I found the problem (pics)

check this **** out! (Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics):

pic of the ignition coil (please correct me if that isnt the ignition coil and something else)

****ty shot of the terminals but there is grease coving them!!!

Shot of the plug, yeah there is grease all down in there too...

The plug and terminals are covered in green, orange, and grey grease. WTF!!!! I am pretty sure this is the reason why my car wont start sometimes. Ive had it a little over a month...i think the previous owner got some bad service somewhere and tried to get taken advantage of.

Last edited by 98cwitr; 03-23-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM

yea i wouldnt have been too quick to say the alt. If nothing was coming on before, not even clicking, it could be a lot of things. I can't really see what your talking about with your phone but check your grounds, i brough my car to a shop where they ripped the electrical apart and thats what they said... Definately take it to a shop...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:46 AM

but stuff was coming on...the radio, the lights, everything but it wouldnt turn over.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Umm. I might not be the smartest man in the world. But isnt that your wiper motor & Cruise control unit?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Yes thats definitely the wiper motor connector that you are looking at...
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 PM

hahaha...ok my bad, thanks for the correction. Well i just got done checking all the grounding for everything...all good. All relevant fuses are good...so now im stumped again
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

the coill is on the other side of the car... drivers shock tower on the front of it... had a plug wire running to the distributor... the green goo is dielectric grease it is designed to keep out water and corrosion...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:46 PM

yuppers Wikd!
do you hear a 'click' on days that it won't start? or nothing at all? does your clock reset on those days? I'd start w/ the basics of having your starter/alt/battery checked at your local parts store (they do this for free). as well as your plugs & wires (tho your engine would be running TERRIBLE if those were so bad that the engine wouldn't start) and even clean your battery terminals, bad connections or broken terminals will make it not start/not recharge. look for consistent conditions in which the engine won't start. is it hot/cold? etc... anyway. more details= better answers.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:54 PM

well there does not seem to be a consistancy on when the car will start an will it will not except for the fact that after it has been sitting for awhile (like overnight) it has some trouble. I have cleaned the terminals to the battery. There are two plugs running from the positive side of the terminal...one plug (on the far right) looks to be melted somewhat. Sounds like there is a short somewhere.

There is a clicking noise that we have pinpointed to the fuse box underneath the hood.

My CEL light has been on for a few days now...it came on when I had to roll start the car on Monday. Im thinking of taking it and getting diganostics run to see what code it is throwing.

For the past two days now though it has been cranking like new. I dont know what happened. I highly doubt though the problem "fixed itself". The battery is brand new and yet the problem persists.

btw i am having some trouble locating the ignition coil. I looked by the driver's side strut tower and only see the power steering res.

Last edited by 98cwitr; 03-25-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

next to the power steering res is the coil... follow the spark plug wire from the center tower of your distributor to the coil... it should be right next to the power steering res...
Old 03-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Sounds like you have a relay problem. Relays send eletrical currents to parts of you vehicle depending on what you are using, relays are electrical switches basically. I would also get the whole electrical diagnostic done. It could just be your ignition switch.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Would a relay problem caused what happened tonight? About 20 min ago I was driving (around 80mph) and suddenly the entire car cut off. Since I was arleady in gear the car started right back up. The CD player still saved memory and the clock did not reset.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

you said there was part of the battery positive wire that was burned... one of the 2 wires off to the side on the positive battery post... if this is still the case i would replace the battery terminal...to do thi go to an audio store and get an after market battery terminal... something like this should work...

if one of the wires is messed up that could be the problem... these wires supply power to the fuse box and the main relays in the car... if there is a bad connection then this might cause your problem...
Old 03-28-2005, 06:45 AM

^ill go pick one up today. thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Contributing Member

did that fix the problem???

Quick Reply: Update: I think I found the problem (pics)