General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

want opinions on modding

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM

want opinions on modding

ok .... sorry for not searching .... now that thats out of the way i just wanted a few peoples opinion on what i should do to my stock 240 first....i was reading a few threads and just thought id say first:NO I WILL LET SET IT ON FIRE AND NO I WILL NOT HOT TAR MY CAR! lol

my goal is to have sort of all around car...i know this probably sounds stupid but, i want a drifter,quartermile,dd .... by drifter i dont mean d1 status just somethin thats not stock drifting . by quartermile i just mean somethin that wont get stomped by all the cars at the raceways lol. Also i want a ka24de-t right now i have a ka24e so i need a de, so i dont think i should do any engine mods as of now.

thanks

Last edited by pourinitup; 07-29-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

replace whatever is worn out. bushings, tie rods, control arms are a good place to start
Old 07-29-2007, 05:39 PM

i was thinkin a set of coilovers should i wait on those for a lil i have tein lowering springs but they dont fit really well and according to les schwab "they make it so my alignment cant be perfect"
Old 07-29-2007, 06:15 PM

suspension is always a good place to start. coilovers will be a better performance upgrade than springs but there isnt anything necesarily wrong with springs. obviously wont help you in the 1/4 but will def help you with drifting.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 PM

fix whats wrong with the car (bushings, prob shocks, fan clutch), then either save your money for engine or suspension, whatever is more important to you.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

coilovers DO help with 1/4 mile lol HKS even make drag specific coilovers.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Routine maintenance FTW! Get it running right before you do anything else...then suspension.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 PM

You may also want to find a LSD perhaps even a vLSD
Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Do what you want, but if you're planning on turboing you'd do just as well with the SOHC. Speaking from experience the difference is minimal and besides slightly better aftermarket support the DE swap is just more time and money you could be spending on the motor you already have. Both motors have anemic heads, both are likely high miles (going to need a rebuild before you can do any serious boosting), and when the time comes the E only needs one cam!

That said, try making a list of all the things you MUST do before boosting (exhaust comes to mind) and work from there. If you're already lowered I wouldn't worry with coilovers just now; I say leave $4k suspension setups to pros. Your Teins are a considerable improvement from stock and a great first mod. I'm a little confused by the bit about them not fitting right; as long as they're for an S13 there shouldn't be an issue. I had S-Techs on my old car and the camber CAN be brought at least reasonably close, though I'll admit they shredded tires before I got an alignment. Congrats on choosing the right forum and good luck with your project!

PS Agreed nightkid, a diff would be a good choice. Get searching your local pick-n-pull for a J30.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM

i just dont like my engine way too many problems ive had problem after problem with it since the moment i bought it :/ for 4k almost way over priced shoulda done more research and more looking anyway the guy who had it before me completely did his own type of "rigs" with the electrical and with the exhaust n such so id feel better off with a different engine that isnt all rigged.

Now that you told me from experience its not much different im considering keeping the engine, i just assumed 1 more cam = more support for boost...seeing as im a n00b when it comes to cars ...cams possibly dont have much to do with turbo...i wish i would have listened in autoshop more.

ive always wanted to start off with exhaust but i wanted my engine at first it was the rb25det i was going to get but then i started reading more into the engines and all and saw my engine had potential as well so..ya.. im still sorta confused on what i want to do now engine wise thats why i was thinking what i should start on besides motor...but thanks for all your help
Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM

i'd personally get fimiliar with working on 240's and motors b4 u dive into building a car. Espically if you are wanting a RB25 swap.

If your gonna start with something, i'd do suspension, sway bars, bushings, a lsd, and BREAKS!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM

or even BRAKES!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM

ya thats what i was thinkin start on suspension just like they did on the 240 on nissanperformancemag.com lol i was reading there 240 project and got the idea to get zeal coilovers and controversy between some coilovers i should know about maybe even advise on what too get...id greatly appreciated in the mean time..ill use that nifty search they have on the site to see if i cant find any
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by nightkid86
or even BRAKES!
lol my bad... quick typing owns me...

Brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Urban Outlaw; 08-01-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM

ok back to when i said i hate my engine and its givin me problems ever since i bought it well heres a story just as i was comin home today on the freeway my power kept shutting off and clicking back on.....when im going 60-85 it didnt really do it when i was slower then 60 but like my rpms would drop then and the power would shut off then like 1 seconds later or less it would pop back on...any thoughts? ill post this in the na thread also

Quick Reply: want opinions on modding